Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New/reissue Fender lead iii and HM?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I'll be very disappointed if Fender have applied non-falling-off paint to the Lead III reissue.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    edited January 2020
    earwighoney said:

New design from Fender I stumbled across. 
    Oh dear... that's almost worse. It looks like a copy of a junk Japanese guitar of the late 60s that someone badly refinished in Meccano army green and fitted a Chinese Squier Strat bridge to. Complete with wonky pickup.

And it's over *seven thousand* pounds??!!!!!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I always thought that the 80's trends would never see a revival, guess we're finally at the bottom of the barrel!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We live in a world where every car is white, black, grey or silver. Everyone decorates their house with a view to selling it, most people over the age of 20 dress anonymously in outdoor apparel, and us guitarists venerate the 1950s.

Fuck this, I'm buying the new Steve Vai PIA guitar! And maybe an Austin Allegro.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080

Fuck this, I'm buying the new Steve Vai PIA guitar! And maybe an Austin Allegro.
    Do it!

Then post some pics on Instagram...  ;)

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    ICBM said:
    Dear god... can’t they come up with *anything* that isn’t a recycled also-ran from decades ago?

I can just about see the HM Strat having an ironic not-cool-but-cool retro appeal now, but the Lead was just an ugly plank at the time and still is. Hopefully they won’t have reissued the depleted uranium body and badly-shaved pencil necks...

It doesn't sound great in the YT video though.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fender HM? Buy a Charvel from them instead.  The FR is a serious cop out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 618

It doesn't sound great in the YT video though.

That first bit is horrid but there are some nice sounds later on, and the world needs more baritone guitars.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    edited January 2020
    ICBM said:
    earwighoney said:

Oh dear... that's almost worse. It looks like a copy of a junk Japanese guitar of the late 60s that someone badly refinished in Meccano army green and fitted a Chinese Squier Strat bridge to. Complete with wonky pickup.

And it's over *seven thousand* pounds??!!!!!
    The body shape is one I am indifferent towards, but I'm not really one to massively excited by any body type as long as it's not a complete train wreck. 

However, the video is made by CME who near enough get every single video of theirs to sound superb but that one sounds really muddy and flat.  There isn't enough high end.  It's genuinely one of the worst sounding instruments on CME I've come across.

The wonky pickup is diabolical as well.

£7k as well.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    rossi said:
    Lead II ... Tele headstock shape
    Never seen one like that. They usually have the small atrophied headstock associated with The Strat. 

I cannot help thinking that Fender has missed a trick by not creating a Lead series model with at least one P90.
    Be seeing you.

I cannot help thinking that Fender has narrowly sidestepped a hideous modern cliché by not creating a Lead series model with at least one P90.
    FTFY :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited January 2020
    I see your FTFY and raise you a Thinline Katana. 
    Be seeing you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    rossi said:
    Lead II ... Tele headstock shape
    Never seen one like that. They usually have the small atrophied headstock associated with The Strat. 

I cannot help thinking that Fender has missed a trick by not creating a Lead series model with at least one P90.

Sure it had a Tele headstock type .It was a late one in moulded ABS type case .I have seen a picture of one years ago but cant find it now .
    I see your FTFY and raise you a Thinline Katana. 
    Actually a thinline Katana with a soundhole the same sort of shape as the body might be quite cool :). Although it would probably balance even worse than they do already...

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    Acoustasonic Strat just announced too.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-2020-fender-acoustasonic-stratocaster-revealed 

Still not my cup of tea
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    That headstock 'Strat' logo on the HM manages to encapsulate all that was bad about the '80s. Not just the bad design that was prevalent then but also the terrible hair styles (men and women), awful fashion, dodgy cars, Margaret Thatcher....

You're right.  Although it's an "HM" Strat it makes me think of Nik Kershaw, early issues of Guitarist, game shows like Catchphrase and Lingo with Martin P Daniels.  And grey wallpaper with random pink, yellow and blue shapes and black squiggly lines.

Having said that, I quite like it.  And the Lead III.

• Fender HM? Buy a Charvel from them instead.  The FR is a serious cop out.
    I know for a grand too ,  it does look really 80s though in an authentic way , the satchel sig is too tempting though as well at the same price 
  • That’s what grabbed me the headstock with that slash of pink looks typical of 80s design , I wish they had done one mixing grey ,yellow pink and turquoise geometric shapes   In the Memphis design style 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    That’s what grabbed me the headstock with that slash of pink looks typical of 80s design , I wish they had done one mixing grey ,yellow pink and turquoise geometric shapes   In the Memphis design style 
    Oh, has that style actually got a name?  Thanks for that, I've always thought it was just a random generic Eighties thing that somehow caught on and everyone copied.