Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Delay recommendations

What's Hot

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797
    Analogue before the amp - Boss DM2W or MXR CC
    Digital in the loop - Digitech DL8 or Boss DD-3 or 7 or 8 :)
    Do digital pedals have to go in the loop?  Not sure my amp has one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The DD-3 will cater brilliantly for slap echo and longish repeats, and as others have suggested you can't go wrong with a DD-7, DM-2W or for tape the Dunlop Echoplex is an excellent choice and it's really easy to dial in a great sound
  • thebreeze said:
    No they don't. That's just his preference - and honestly it makes zero sense to me, but it is what it is.

You can run any effect in front or in the loop, save for distortions which can cause damage in the loop. @ICBM can expand on that.

Bye!

• thebreeze said:
    No. 

Personally I think you should try a DD7. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    You can run any effect in front or in the loop, save for distortions which can cause damage in the loop. @ICBM can expand on that.
    Yes - basically you should not use any pedal which has a large amount of gain (about 20db seems to be a sensible limit) in an FX loop, because it can cause the amp to feed back internally, self-oscillate (often outside the audio range) and in rare cases cause damage. That means any overdrive, distortion or fuzz pedal, and most preamps that are designed to create amp-like overdrive, should only be used in front of the amp. You can run them *into* the FX return as long as they're not also connected to the FX send, since that's also effectively 'in front of' the amp.

Other than that, generally there is very little difference in suitability for going in a loop between analogue and digital - although digitals that run the whole signal (rather than just the effect part) through the A/D/A converters can cause trouble in parallel loops with latency - but so can analogue ones with phase issues. Both are fine in series loops.

As far as I know all Boss delays keep the dry part of the signal analogue and don't run it through the converters, and they don't have phase issues. I'm not totally sure about the RE-20 Space Echo pedal - that does something on the dry part of the sound as well, so it's possible that it does digitize it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited January 2020
    I love a deluxe memory man. They're not hard to use once you get the hang of it, and sound great. Definitely a more analogue affair.

If you don't want it I'll take it off your hands  ;)
  • thebreeze said:

Nope not at all - the DD3 does sound good in front of the amp, the other not so much when there is gain involved.

For reasons I dont really understand the analogue ones into the front of the amp just sound good with gain or clean!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Boss DD8 - latest version and excellent
    The additional stuff on the DD8 I'm guessing isn't of interest to the OP but if looking for a DD7 try not to pay full price as it’s a discontinued product. 

Although that additional stuff is kinda where the fun is ( once I’ve established nothing from NAMM is going to trump it it’ll be in my shopping list). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thebreeze said:

Nope not at all - the DD3 does sound good in front of the amp, the other not so much when there is gain involved.

For reasons I dont really understand the analogue ones into the front of the amp just sound good with gain or clean!
    Probably because analog ones roll off the high-end usually, meaning that there is less high-frequencies for the amp to distort, resulting in a more "natural" tone.

Bye!

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    thebreeze said:

So I think I need a range from decent slap back to a nice echo or longer delay but it doesn’t need to be too eleborate or spacey.  I currently have the EHX Deluxe Memory Man and find it too complicated to dial in different useable sounds although when you get one they sound good imo.

I generally tend towards analogue but maybe digital would be more suitable?

Boss DD-7 has a lot of sounds to chose from. 
    Boss DD-3 is even simpler tbh and all the better for it.
    I recently got the analog DM-2waza ... and I think my favourite of these is the DD-3 because it's so no fuss and sounds good.

I dunno what to do with that DM-2.
    Oh and I've got a bunch of nice but more sophisticated delays too. 
  • DD3, DD5, DD7, and I would imagine DD8, are all stellar.

Tbh, anything in a single stomp enclosure is going to be fairly simple and straight forward. I'd avoid the Timeline, DD-500, Flashback X4 and Triple Delay, for your needs OP.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797
    Thank you again everyone.  So much choice as usual.  I’m completely persuaded by the simplicity approach (I briefly wondered about the TC Nova Delay but it’s too complicated).  I’ve found a Flashback v.1 for a good price and if the CC doesn’t appeal for whatever reason then it looks like there’s a world of Boss pedals to check out.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    thebreeze said:
    Thank you again everyone.  So much choice as usual.  I’m completely persuaded by the simplicity approach (I briefly wondered about the TC Nova Delay but it’s too complicated).  I’ve found a Flashback v.1 for a good price and if the CC doesn’t appeal for whatever reason then it looks like there’s a world of Boss pedals to check out.
    If you only want ‘one’ pedal - I’d go for a discounted DD7. The Carbon Copy’s repeats are dark (even by analogue standards) and somewhat ‘grainy’. The DD7 is no more complex to use - but offers various modes - including a very good sounding analogue and modulated repeats. I bought my son one for Christmas and spent a very happy half-hour ‘testing’ it before I wrapped it!
  • thebreeze said:
    If you only want ‘one’ pedal - I’d go for a discounted DD7. The Carbon Copy’s repeats are dark (even by analogue standards) and somewhat ‘grainy’. The DD7 is no more complex to use - but offers various modes - including a very good sounding analogue and modulated repeats. I bought my son one for Christmas and spent a very happy half-hour ‘testing’ it before I wrapped it!
    The DD-7 is brilliant and the 40 second looper is also great for noodling
  • FWIW, I thought the Carbon Copy was not very good. I much preferred the Carbon Copy Bright, and the Carbon Copy Deluxe, which has the bright switch on it.

There again, I like to actually hear my delay! :)

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    You can get a used Flashback X4 for about 120 quid if you have room for it on your board. The Boss compact pedals are great but if you want to use different sounds in a set you'll have to knob twiddle between songs. The X4 lets you set, say, a slapback, something rhythmical and possibly a lower mix wash to add ambiance to your leads on the 3 preset buttons. A life saver if you're not comfortable changing settings on the fly.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I'm extremely tempted to buy another DD-200 and sit two side by side as it has so many great sounds. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Fuengi said:
    I'm extremely tempted to buy another DD-200 and sit two side by side as it has so many great sounds. 
    May be getting shot of mine quite soon. Found that I haven't really managed to find it as useful as I thought.

That and I *really* want a Red Panda Particle V2.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Dopesick said:
    Fuengi said:
    May be getting shot of mine quite soon. Found that I haven't really managed to find it as useful as I thought.

That and I *really* want a Red Panda Particle V2.

We'll, ahem, obviously the bottom has dropped right out of the market for used DD-200s at the moment, but I'll try and help you out  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 202
    Digitech Digidelay meets my needs. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom