Primal Scream - GOBDGU:The Original Memphis Recordings

What's Hot
listen to it, nuff said.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    I've got the LP on its way to me at the moment. Really looking forward to getting it and playing it.

There was a fantastic documentary on BBC4 on Friday night just gone all about the album. Well worth catching on iplayer if you've not seen it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Never really loved primal scream until glastonbury 2005 when I stumbled across their set and they absolutely owned it.
  • Very interesting. I'm a bit caught in the middle with the new vs original Drakoulias mixes of the rockier stuff but the ballads on this version are lovely. 

My band does a version of Rocks which isn't too far away from this Memphis version. I came to the conclusion that the Drakoulias mix uses a sample from Sly and the Family Stone's "Dance to the Music" for the drums. 

I was 21 when this came out so I had a real "25 years ago!?!" moment when I was watching the doc. I saw them on this tour at De Montfort Unversity @strumjoughlamps with my mate's Chevette breaking down on the M69 on the way back (nightmare) - still got the t shirt.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Listening now via Spotify and just about to order from Amazon, sounds so much better than the original album (but then again I do have a soft spot for the Memphis sound). Looks like they used some of the swampers on it too. Thanks for bringing this up, I had no idea this had come out
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • I actually liked the documentary more than the original recordings. McGee's comments were spot on, the Memphis recordings weren't right for the time. The ballads are better but the rockier stuff isn't. 

• cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    edited November 2018
    I love Primal Scream, but I hate every single song on this album . I can’t even imagine liking the original recordings, but I will give it a whirl. 
  • the_jaffa said:
    I've got the LP on its way to me at the moment. Really looking forward to getting it and playing it.

There was a fantastic documentary on BBC4 on Friday night just gone all about the album. Well worth catching on iplayer if you've not seen it.
    Thought the docu gave an interesting insight into PS. Well worth a watch
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    I bought it because of the hype and it’s brilliant.  Stones. Faces and more.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Just saw the doc on iPlayer, quite enjoyable.

My spidey senses say Gallagher's Burt Bacharach story is a TOTAL lie  D 
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 123
    Thanks for posting this, it had somehow completely passed me by. liked the original but I love this release!
  • I'm listening to it right now. It just arrived in the post.  Lovely guitar tones, lots of "air" in the sound. I enjoyed the documentary, too. 
  • Yes it's great, love Rocks on this and can't help play it each time I pick up the guitar.  

I'm also listening to Screamadelica the 20th anniversary edition. I had forgotten how good this album was. It was the first great album I bought when I got into music so has high nostalgic value for me. Some of the extra tracks, be they remixes, original band versions or live versions, are superb. In fact I can't stop listening to the Terry Farley extended remix of Come Together, it's so uplifting

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Never knew much about these apart from “Rocks” but the documentary was a real eye opener for me,they remind me of a British Black Crowes.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    PhilW1 said:
    Never knew much about these apart from “Rocks” but the documentary was a real eye opener for me,they remind me of a British Black Crowes.
    yeah I was just playing it and thought exactly that - early Crowes.
  • Doc is a great watch IMO.

Was listening to album just last night and the Wife turns to me and says 'what a beautiful album'..  she ain't wrong.