Americana?

What's Hot

Comments

• Wasn't the term first used to review The Long Ryders' State of our Union LP?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited January 2020
    And then you’ve got JJ Cale, who whilst I wouldn’t say is core Americana, encapsulated the easy vibe that’s evident (to me) in Americana.

I would say Americana is a development of Country, as it drops the twang, but still predominantly guitar based. Male or female vocals, although I might suggest preference for male vocals.

Americana also defined by what it’s not: showy, virtuosity, power chords, stadium type vocals, thin sounding. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9549
    John Mellancamp is another one who really should be in there.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Although somewhat out of favour now Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown were my introduction to what the music press referred to as Americana ...before that I just called it country folk ! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Me too! I think I have to leave him out of it all now!! I was going to write a huge in the style of for him but as you say, he really is out of favour with things probably set to get a lot worse. That means an extra page for Ron Sexsmith...
  • Calexico and Iron & Wine is what spring's to my mind.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    edited January 2020
    For me "Americana" would have to include:

John Prine
    Steve Goodman
    Jesse Winchester
    Iris DeMent

They're on the folky/country side. 

More current, but not well known:

Shakey Graves
    Sean Rowe
    Pokey LaFarge (blues, Country and swing) 

Some may not consider some of the above to be Americana, but they are to me.

Personally, I would put Jason Isbell down as Americana, but for many he's alt country.

You've got a tricky task. Ask 10 people what Americana is and you'll probably get 10 different answers. 

Good luck. 
  • Me too! I think I have to leave him out of it all now!! I was going to write a huge in the style of for him but as you say, he really is out of favour with things probably set to get a lot worse. That means an extra page for Ron Sexsmith...
    Ron Sexsmith is Canadian.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• There is only one true Americana band that so typifies the ideal of an American Roots band and that is The Band. 
    Everything else is an attempt to justify the shit they call Country music being played now. 
    Tyler Childers is a classic example of a country artist given the title of Americana award only to say thanks, but I’m not sure what Americana is, he just plays country but the genre has been stolen. They use the term Americana to lump anything that doesn’t sit in with the country radio crowd. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4123
    I’d say the influence of John Hiatt looms large over the world of Americana and shouldn’t be overlooked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 452
    Me too! I think I have to leave him out of it all now!! I was going to write a huge in the style of for him but as you say, he really is out of favour with things probably set to get a lot worse. That means an extra page for Ron Sexsmith...
    Canada is in North America
  • vanlooy1 said:
    Me too! I think I have to leave him out of it all now!! I was going to write a huge in the style of for him but as you say, he really is out of favour with things probably set to get a lot worse. That means an extra page for Ron Sexsmith...
    Canada is in North America
    Geographically yes.  But so is Mexico, please do not lump Canada and Mexico in with "America" (which is USA).  In case you're wondering, I am Canadian and like to think we have our own culture, often referred to as Canadiana.  No offense to the USA but I think you'll find that most Mexicans feel the same way and would not want their Mariachi music referred to as americana.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6625
    For me I think of people like Marc Ford as being one of those artists that is a bit of everything but all his musical styles are quintessentially American and steeped in the older traditions so I'd out his solo work in there even if a particular song is a blues or Neil Youngish piece and the next a folky bit. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • This is a great thread - I’ll be interested to see what folks have to say here. I usually say my musical taste as “Americana” but haven’t given any thought of how to describe it. I usually say it’s country-ish style music that captures a/the American experience but not “big-country” a la Garth Brooks. Cash/Guthrie/Dylan are the first names that come to mind for me, but I think the style of music is best described by making the distinction of what it is not - (ie, elements blues, country, folk, rock but not solely any of these styles. My current favourite young gun who I think represents Americana is Andrew Combs; he’s a fantastic singer/song-writer. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    Inasmuch as there is an Americana guitar style I'd guess that it owes a lot to John Fahey.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    My Americana guitarist nominees are

Jason and the Scorchers - Warner Hodges

Green on Red - Chuck Prophet

Long Ryders - Sid Griffin

Joe Ely - David Grissom

among many others. Sounds like a mammoth project.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    edited February 2020
    Other Canadians who often work within the Americana musical genre;
    • Daniel Lanois
    • Kate & Anna McGarrigle
    Be seeing you.
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited September 2023
    k
  • Ah yes, this is a book for guitar players so the focus is very much on those who have shaped the genre/continue to do so. Having said that there are probably about 5000 of them so there will have to be some omissions sadly!