Begginners woes

What's Hot
phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
edited January 2020 in Technique

I am a beginner and have learned some basic chords and a few simple riffs from YouTube videos and that has been fine so far. However I now seem to be stuck and I am not really making any progress. One reason is the haphazard nature of picking on random songs and tried to find a youtube lesson on it. I need to find something more structured.

going to lessons one to one would probably be best but for various reasons I want to stay with online lessons (for now anyway)

there are a lot of free lessons available but I guess to get the structure |I am after |I need to subscribe to a course.

are any particularly good ones available I should go for

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Justinguitar.com 

doesn’t really get any better for free structured online lessons. It’s an amazing resource for beginners and beyond. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    Definitely THIS ^^^^^
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 275
    I would suggest buying a 'learn to play' guitar book, which should add some structure to your learning. Whilst there are lots of free-to-view videos on YouTube, they are of variable quality, like a lot of free tab is. If you are reluctant to get lessons from a guitar teacher, an alternative would be if you know of a good player who could help you. Playing with others who are better than you is a great way to make progress, once you get over the initial embarrassments of playing in front of other people! Another option is to check out Lick Library.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    another vote for Justinguitar. It has structure, knowledge, a variety of styles and offers different pathways through the material. Perfect for an eternal beginner like me to delve into - but it would have been a godsend a few decades ago when I started and actually had time to devote to playing

• Pick a song that you like.  Something simple and get the TAB.  Persevere with learning it and you will get there.  Practice and tenacity will get you there. This should get you learning chord shapes and forcing you to use them. Also as you push yourself to play it right your hands will get used to playing the music, chords etc.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Start playing with other people as suggested above is a great may to improve, you will learn off them, and also you will need to structure your practice to what you need to know for the next session so you don't look a comlete tit.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    another vote for Justinguitar - donate if you think its good (it is !)

You can go mad on Truefire.com too, but I'd start with Justin's site
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback