crazyparts vibrola - pic added

What's Hot
dickieguitardickieguitar Frets: 402
edited January 2020 in Guitar
I've just snaffled myself one of those Pelham blue SG Specials, and it's a lovely guitar but the daft buggers forgot to put a vibrola on it.

As Gibson don't sell their own aftermarket vibs, and I seem to recall not being entirely happy with an Allparts one I had a few years ago, I was wondering if anyone had good or bad experiences of the Crazyparts vibrolas? 

Dickie's 90-Second Pedal Demos: youtube.com/c/Dickies90SecondPedalDemos /// guitar.com reviews: guitar.com/author/richard-purvis/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dickieguitardickieguitar Frets: 402
    edited January 2020
    Thanks dude. No pre-existing holes in this body so screw placement isn't an issue. (And the short version only has the three screws at the back anyway.)

Crazyparts looks like the way to go, I think, unless anyone else is going to pipe up...

Dickie's 90-Second Pedal Demos: youtube.com/c/Dickies90SecondPedalDemos /// guitar.com reviews: guitar.com/author/richard-purvis/
  • Just to clarify, I'm planning to fit a short vibrola, as found on mid-60s Specials.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I came here because I didn't know what a vibrola is. I still don't know.
  • Why, only the finest guitar vibrato system ever devised! 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    Just to clarify, I'm planning to fit a short vibrola, as found on mid-60s Specials.
    there was a thread on OSG (will find a link later) about modern vibrolas and the crazyparts was the only one worth bothering with, if they have them in stock. 

might be worth thinking about a duesenberg bigsby-style unit if you're drilling for something new
  • Cheers @bbill335 ;
  • Thank you!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    One of those things or a Bigsby is bound to help cure the neck dive problem that is a Gibson SG. I remain unconvinced of their musical benefits.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Each to their own, @Rocker ! I like a good Bigsby too but I find the Vibrola more expressive. 

Crazyparts it is, I think. I'll report back on how it goes. 
  • dickieguitardickieguitar Frets: 402
    edited January 2020
    So here it is, the SG Special how it always should have been: 

Have to say my experience of Crazyparts was not good at all, but with a bit of tweaking I've got it at a playable angle and it's a joy to use.

It also seems to sound even better than before, despite the shallower break angle over the saddle, but that's probably in my head. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattPMattP Frets: 252
    That looks the absolute business!

When you say your experience with Crazyparts wasn't good - do you mean dealing with them as part of the ordering process, or the quality of the part itself?
  • Ordering was fine, super-quick delivery. 

But I had issues with angles and their response was... unhelpful. 

Anyway, the main problem was the arm sticking up way too high and in the end I've managed to fix that with sheer brute force, so I'm happy. 

• MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    gringopig said:
    I bought one to replace a useless one on a Gibson Robby Krieger SG. The neck angle meant that the bridge was quite low and the 'curl' of the plate which the bar with bar attaches to was not tight or curled enough. This meant the string break angle was woeful and sustain was poor.
    I purchased the Crazyparts one and the angle of the curl was much better (not as tightly curled as some actual  vintage models however). Good enough to make the guitar playable though and quality was very good.
    Only note is that the 2 screws that hold the front of the unit onto the face of the guitar behind the bridge were not exactly the same distance apart as the holes Gibson had in theirs and I had to really grind the screws in with force.

I would recommend them.

I also have an original Gibson one available if you want it and if the neck angle is big enough and the bridge sufficiently high, it might work well. The heat treated steel curled trem holder is not adjustable and is not a tight closed C like it should be but it might work. Give me a shout if want a shot with it.
    Hi, do you still have the Gibson Maestro? I may be interested.

www.theflyingacesband.com
    edited July 2020
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    gringopig said:
    MattNovak said:
    gringopig said:
    I bought one to replace a useless one on a Gibson Robby Krieger SG. The neck angle meant that the bridge was quite low and the 'curl' of the plate which the bar with bar attaches to was not tight or curled enough. This meant the string break angle was woeful and sustain was poor.
    I purchased the Crazyparts one and the angle of the curl was much better (not as tightly curled as some actual  vintage models however). Good enough to make the guitar playable though and quality was very good.
    Only note is that the 2 screws that hold the front of the unit onto the face of the guitar behind the bridge were not exactly the same distance apart as the holes Gibson had in theirs and I had to really grind the screws in with force.

I would recommend them.

I also have an original Gibson one available if you want it and if the neck angle is big enough and the bridge sufficiently high, it might work well. The heat treated steel curled trem holder is not adjustable and is not a tight closed C like it should be but it might work. Give me a shout if want a shot with it.
    Hi, do you still have the Gibson Maestro? I may be interested.

I do indeed.

I believe all the screws are there. 4 tiny ones for the cover to frame, 4 larger for the mounting on the butt end and 2 for the front.
    Sold? 
    edited July 2020