Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Worst Guitars to Resell

What's Hot
BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2173
What are the worst guitars to sell on once bought new, in terms of time to shift and depreciation in value? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Generally whatever it is that I’m currently trying to sell...
    28reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 20reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Anything with "upgrades"  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16004
    Fancy PRS
     Huber (except Krautster )
     Fibonaire
     ....................essentially anything very high end/boutique that has a very expensive new price and will be a bitter pill to swallow in terms of the huge depreciation
    Everything sells at a price so it's all subjective but as a rule of thumb this kind of stuff is worth approximately 50% of the new price the minute it sees sunlight outside of the retail shop .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    Fancy PRS
     Huber (except Krautster )
     Fibonaire
     ....................essentially anything very high end/boutique that has a very expensive new price and will be a bitter pill to swallow in terms of the huge depreciation
    Everything sells at a price so it's all subjective but as a rule of thumb this kind of stuff is worth approximately 50% of the new price the minute it sees sunlight outside of the retail shop .
    Yep. I've always seen it as "How much is being the first person to own this worth to you?"

At least guitars hit a floor and don't drop much more, might even increase. Cars on the other hand just keep on dropping!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    edited January 2020
    Carvin and also Godin
    For some reason they don’t hold the value like they should even though they both make really great guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Partscaster
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    Partscaster
    Partscaster with a dodgy Fender headstock logo
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Small high end boutique builders, & Chinese knockoffs. 
  • Superstrats... although it looks like the market is about to change and they'll become more popular again 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Anything without Fender or Gibson on the headstock (legitimately).
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Superstrats... although it looks like the market is about to change and they'll become more popular again 
    I think they will become more popular. As guitar player age, they think about the guitars they used to play. For me, that’s Steinberger and an 88 Japanese RG 750. 

I’ve been looking at RG’s and early Jems lately.  Won’t buy one though, would like very bizarre amongst the Gretsches ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Any high-end classical guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    Superstrats... although it looks like the market is about to change and they'll become more popular again 
    I think they will become more popular. As guitar player age, they think about the guitars they used to play. For me, that’s Steinberger and an 88 Japanese RG 750. 

I’ve been looking at RG’s and early Jems lately.  Won’t buy one though, would like very bizarre amongst the Gretsches ;)
    See, in my mind that's a reason to buy one! :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Ones that don't belong to a smoke and pet free home.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Partscasters, and anything outside the main/popular brands. Pointy headed guitars too.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    ICBM said:
    this, and I'd add any high end, small maker acoustic to that. Seems fairly easy to shift a martin or a gibson, and even stuff like santa cruz and collings, but I've seen some high end stuff on here that is almost being given away, and still no takers. Guess that's the advantage of buying fender or martin, you know it'll always sell if you need to. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017

Most of my weird shite. :lol: 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

22reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    Washburn. People avoid them like the plague.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    impmann said:
    Anything without Fender or Gibson on the headstock (legitimately).

You can add Martin to that for acoustics.
  • ICBM said:
    Yes, with the exception of a handful of top makers who have long waiting lists. If one of their guitars becomes available on the second-hand market they will usually sell very quickly (and for a higher price than the new cost).