Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Evolution of your main gigging guitars

What's Hot
MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
Was just having a think about the different guitars I've had as 'number 1's' over the years - the musical styles have changed across the bands I've been in, and I've got older (and hopefully a bit better).

Early / mid 20's - played in a rock act, and a typical covers band. Played Ibanezes, predominantly a PGM500 but also a JS model. Still have the Paul Gilbert.

Later 20's - pro covers band in Europe, used the PGM500 a bit but mainly a Blackmore strat (was in another band at the same time that did some Deep Purple, UFO etc). Used a 90's RG505 for the floyd too.

Early 30's - Belfast for a couple of years this time, function band. Went back to the PGM but bought a Zemaitis for les paul-y type stuff.

Mid 30's - back to England, joined a Cavern-era Beatles band. Bought a 335, played it for a year or so before realising it was too big. This was my third 335 I have got rid of for the same reason! Bought a non-reverse Firebird which has been my number 1 since 2010. Still use the Zemaitis for 5 string stuff.

I'm 40 this year, I wonder what the next decade will bring? 
www.theflyingacesband.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Telecaster!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited January 2020
    Uni open mics, cheap Aria acoustic, which was the only acoustic I had. 

Serious Originals band - Gibson CS-336 with Paisley Tele and MIJ Jazzmaster as second guitar depending on setlist.

Regular Covers band a few years later - Gibson CS-33 for nice venues, SG Standard for rowdier ones. Paisley Tele in support

Now I'm not in a band, but honestly if I was I'd be using... that same CS-336 and SG and an MJT Jazzmaster for almost everything, most likely.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • First band I was in did a mixture of rock covers & originals, main guitars were a Charvel Spectrum, a Mockingbird or a Jackson King V. Joined a metal band, got a couple of RGs and the Spectrum went, everything was humbuckers.

Won an LTD EC1000 from Guitarist magazine, that became my main guitar, and I liked it so much that I bought another one. The RGs went and I had no Strat-shaped guitars at all. Added to my ECs with a couple of Jackson Kellys (including the Custom Shop one I've posted about on here before).

Moved away, stopped gigging and sold all my guitars, now I have two superstrats and a PRS SE. If & when I start gigging again, these will be fine 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    In the beginning - Les Paul a-likes. Then realised the sound I was trying to make with it was actually the territory of Fender...

Since then... Strats and Teles for the originals band.
    Early 2000s discovered the SG and gigged that almost exclusively for the punk/new wave covers stuff. 
    Recent times - discovered PRS guitars and most recent gig used one of them to cover a huge amount of sonic ground from the 1960s to the 2000s. 

Not gigging currently - and have a room full of guitars!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    It's true all roads eventually lead to Telecaster...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3037
    Not had as many gigs as I would've liked over the years but there were some main gigging guitars.

2002 - 2006
    Started using a Jackson RR3 as my main guitar for a couple of years in my first band.

Then we changed over to 7 strings and my main guitar was a custom/mutt made by Feline. An Ibanez Universe neck with a custom 1 humbucker body. That got a lot of 'oohh and aahhs' at gigs.

2017 - 2019
    My Jackson Soloist to start with then changed to an Ibanez UV7SBK 7 string. 

Not sure if I'll get back into a band again any time soon but I'd like to use my Les Paul for gigs in future.
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    It's true all roads eventually lead to Telecaster...
    Ha, I'm in the process of (re)building one... played it at my last gig, sounded..... great. Really cut through!
    www.theflyingacesband.com
  • P Bass-> J Bass

• Fenix strat thing was my first and only guitar I gigged with from early 90’s-2000 from metal to rock to functions.
    Replaced by my carvin h1 (why did I sell you!) then a Bravewood strat and then prs ce24 for about 10 years. Played mainly the strat for another 10 years, until late last year when I bought two Hondo copies of the fender lead series who are my new faves and I just gig them. 
    If anyone has a carvin Holdsworth (the h not the Fatboy) I'd love another one again.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    Let’s see in the 94-97 it was my strat copy then 97-2000 it was an epiphone firebird then a fender cyclone till about 2005. Then I switched to a PRS EG4 for a bit then a telecaster then my musicman Sub 1. 
    I don’t gig now and still have the strat copy (unplayable), the musicman, a Carvin hss Tele plus a rivolta combinata. 

I couldn’t even tell you what amps as I was never that bothered about them as long as I had my Rat and Marshall jackhammer pedal lol. 
  • Got an early 90s Gibson Les Paul Studio around 2000, 2-3 years after I'd started learning. Still got it now and still use it regularly.

My main gigging guitar in my most serious of bands was a white Epiphone LP single P90 Junior. I played it again recently after not touching it for about 10 years and the neck feels horrible but it sounds terrific, even with those old strings still on it!

I do loads of weddings now and rotate between Les Paul Studio, Japanese Epi Riviera and a USA Strat with the Fat-50s pups. Oh, and my 76 Starcaster has been out a few times, too.

I occasionally take my vintage 65 Jag out if I know the venue is going to be a hotel not a tent in someone's garden, though you can never be sure some moron isn't going to smash into your mic stand and set off the domino effect ending up with a mic-shaped dent on the front of your now beer-soaked vintage guitar...
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    20s. Hofner President. I liked fingerstyle jazz, and couldn’t afford a Gibson.
    30s. nothing. Family and career got on the way of playing.
    40s. Les Paul. Rock and blues covers. I liked the warmth of a humbucker, and the feel of the neck.
    50s. Parker Fly. One guitar for both Jazz and pop covers. Easy to play.
    60s. Telecaster. Covers band. It’s flexible. It cuts through the mix. I can make and modify my own.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I've gone through a few

Epiphone LP
    Ibanez Destroyer
    Ibanez JS2000
    Brian Moore iGuitar
    Gibson LP traditional
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I till have all of them except the epi LP too
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • First was a MIM Strat, then a Epiphone Joe Pass, then a MIM 72 Telecaster Custom, Les Paul standard then a Gretsch Duo Jet and now it's an Ibanez 2635 or Gretsch Country gent depending on which band it is....but I've been thinking I might go back to strat or tele again. 

Although I've never really stuck to just one, when the tele was my "main" guitar I'd still do gigs with the strat for a change.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • First band - Yamaha RGX 121
    Second band - Ibanez JEM 555
    Third band (reformation of first band) - Schecter 006 and C1 followed by PRS Singlecut SE and Tremonti SE
    Fourth band - PRS Tremonti USA and Fender Jap Strat 50's reissue, followed by just the Tremonti, followed by PRS P22

Acoustic wise - Crafter SA 6 and 12 string, followed by Taylor GS Mini and Crafter 12, followed by Faith Venus Naked and Crafter 12

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• First band I use my Fender squier strat would you believe (which has since been upgraded) for a few shows. This was back in 2005.

Next band used my Telecaster in 2006.

First real pop punk band in 2009 I used a Les Paul Junior.

Next band in 2010 I used a Gibson Les Paul studio and have pretty much stuck with that til now...which makes it a decade.
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1324
    Hohner Rockwood LP copy -> Epiphone LP Custom -> Edwards LP Custom -> Gibson LP Standard.

An R9 has to be the logical next step!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    - Washburn MG340 (my first electric guitar) while I had only one guitar! Sold it to buy a
    - Les Paul and played it for two years before buying a
    - Strat that was my main guitar for probably 5 or 6 years.
    - Tele, for the last 8 or 9 years, has been my main gigging guitar.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited January 2020
    Interesting. Here’s mine 

Early to mid 20’s: Played in a totally unfashionable Duran Duran/INXS influenced Pop band. Had to do a mix of funky Nile Rodgers type rhythms, with esoteric ambient bits and the odd big solo. We gigged an awful lot, so I used a pair of Ibanez RG560 superstrats into various pedals and a Marshall 2 x 12 combo. The Ibanez’ were great guitars. Super roadworthy and consistent. Later I buy a Digitech RP1. This is used with a wah wah and a Marshall Drivemaster. 

Early 30’s: After a near 8 year gap from gigging. I went out and got a Les Paul and an SG. These were run into a Marshall tsl 100 with just a wah & drive pedal in the front and a couple of delays on the FX loop. The two bands I played in here were kinda Smashing Pumpkins/Placebo influenced. Lots of guitar and as I was the only guitarist lots of space. 

Mid 30’s: I join Heroes Of Switzerland and immediately realise I have to change my sound in order to cut through another guitar player and I go out and buy a Telecaster. Then I de-gain my amps and start using more midrange. Then I discover the Marshall TSL60 has a better FX loop than the 100. So gig that instead. 

Post Heroes I’m in a couple of awful indie bands. Here I go over to using pedals in a clean amp either a Vox AC15/30 or Orange Tiny Terror 1and the Kotzen Tele remains my main guitar for about 11 years.

Mid 40’s: I join Playroom, a Classic Rock 4 piece with an acoustic edge. I end up using my PRS Custom 22/ 24 and a Sigma Electro or a borrowed Taylor 110 acoustic. Pedals stay the same but I settle on a Blackstar Artisan 30 as my main amp. I’m the only guitar player and the PRS seems to suit this.

Last three years: I rejoin Heroes of Switzerland. The other guitarist has gone over to playing an Ibanez RG and using a Headrush modeller, which improves his tone no end. This time I find my Yamaha SG1000 is a good mainstay. After some loop switcher issues and a false start with a Line 6 Helix. I decide to go back to pedals. As an interim, I buy a used TC Nova System & find its mix of useable drive sounds and very crystalline delays work wonders in the context of a very busy instrumental lineup. I keep my Kotzen Telecaster as a backup. I keep the Nova for Heroes and decide to rebuild another board for my own pleasure.