Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Evolution of your main gigging guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    Started gigging out of school in working men's clubs and toured the US bases in Germany.  My main guitar was a Fender Musicman with a Columbus LP copy as backup.  Came back and joined an originals band and traded the Musicman  for a 67 Strat, which I really didn't get on with too much.  Traded that in for a brand new 72 55 Les Paul Special, which I really liked but got offered a 72 LP Custom for a good price, so I traded up to that.  I used that for a few years and then the trading bug got me again, so I got an Aria Dragon Strat and a SG LP Junior.  That was my last reall gigging set for several years.

When I did my next gig, I was using a 52 LP Standard converted to 58 specs and a PRS Standard, both of which I still have.

I then was a bass player for a few years, and used a Modulus 5 string and a 72 Rickenbacker 4001.  The next band I used the Modulus with a @WezV fretless EB DC Copy. 

I also had a covers band where I would cycle through my 6 string electric guitars.

Currently I am using my 66 Precision and Bravewood 57 Precision, along with a home built HSS strat and PRS SE Angelus acoustic.  Last gig was Modulus 5 string, Squier Bass VI and Teye La Canestera.  

That's where I'm at now (though I have a lot of guitars to pick from)  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    Fender Precision
    Status 3000
    Warwick Thumb Fretless 
    Fender 57 ri Stratocaster
    Gibson Les Paul Classic 
    Gretsch Sparkle Jet 

I've got other guitars and play a lot of acoustic in churches, gardens., folk festivals but the Gretsch is the one at the moment. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    80s - Aria Strat-type
    90s - Les Paul Deluxe, then Telecaster, then Rickenbacker 360 & Jaguar
    00s - Jaguar, then various PRS
    10s - Rickenbacker 381 then 4001 bass
    20s - Rick bass

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FezFez Frets: 522
    Late 70s till early 80s strat.
    Then Hss strat through 90s
    2000s bitsa strat and Tele for church music group.
    Formed current group end of 2008 epi Les Paul then added another Hss strat and recently a PRS custom 24 se.
    Still have all of them though the tele hangs behind the bar at a local venue.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    Les Paul forever then Tele for the last 12 months. I played a Jackson Fusion for 4-5 years before I started gigging also. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    edited January 2020
    70s - Jedson Tele thing abortion of a guitar - truly dreadful
    Late 70s - Hardtail Strat (first job hence HP)
    Early 80s - Ibanez AS80 (wish I still had it)
    Mid/Late 80s - Hohner Jack headless / Westone Spectrum ST (Matsumoko) / Partsastrat - Alder body & Ibanez low profile neck
    Early 90s - Fender Strat Plus Deluxe / LP Smartwood
    Noughties - Strat+ Deluxe / 335 60 reissue
    2010s - Tom Anderson Hollow Body Drop Top / Morgan LP / Various LPs / PRS Cu24 / various Teles
    2020s - Still the Tom Anserson HBDT / PRS 594 / Tele American Pro / PRS Vela S2 Historic

Jazz
    Noughties - far eastern 175 copy (was okish) / 335 / Hodson 503 maccaferri
    2010s - Sadowsky Jim Hall Special / John Le Voi 503 14 fret
    2020s - Sadowsky JHS / Fibonnacci Chiquita / Gibson 1961 ES125TD / Le Voi 503

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    80's:  LP Custom (first job, first credit card :) )
    90's:  Squier Strat (reality of adult bills etc)
    00's:  2 x Epi 335 or 335 and Tele Custom (MIM)
    10's:  LP Gold Top & LP Junior DC
    20's:  Yet to gig, but it will be LP Custom and Lucille

The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    @Jalapeno I remember those Jedson's truly dreadful.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414

I think I can trace my journey primarily from humbuckers through to single coils over the years... All have seen use on stage in two bands!

Late 90s: Jim Deacon Candy Apply Strat Copy then a Gibson Les Paul Studio

00s: Gibson SG Special, Fender Jaguar HH Special

10s: Gretsch 5120, Gretsch 5420, Fender Baja Telecaster, Fender AV65 Jaguar, PRS Mira, Fender Toronado, Fender Mustang Special

20s: Novo Miris J

• Teens: 90s Squier Strat

Late 20s: Ibanez S470

Early 30s - Washburn N4

Mid-30s to current - Various Jaden Rose guitars

I'd call that a reasonable progression :)
    <space for hire>
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Oh what a great thread...I'll play ....

Teens - Antoria Jap cream Tele laying original rock in school band ( we still play occasionally ) - bought for me by my sister after someone said it from a house fire - wish I still had it. I LOVED THAT GUITAR! 

20's - Washburn Falcon - playing original rock tunes , then joined a new wave/New Romantics originals band . Same guitar. Sold to one of my best (band)mates who still has it.   Bands : Rapid Pips, Hullaballoo, High Wall, Wireless Set. 

30's - got a decent job and started spending more on gear! - Tokai LS-150 was my main guitar for gigs. PRS Swamp Ash special for a bit.  Rock covers and some pop.     Band - Rufus Stone. 

40's - spent pretty much all of my annual bonuses on guitars when I managed to earn one ! - PRS McCarty Goldtop - main giggng guitar, but also acquired a 76 Firebird, a HW one Telecaster, a Tokai SG , Ibanez AM100, etc etc ..... Will never sell the McCarty - its a pre production 1994, with a serial no. before the signed run they did and arrived the day my son was born.  Rock covers band, and home recording various styles but mainly Indie Rock. 

50's - Lusted after a PRS Rosie Artist pack , and traded an Ernie Ball Ltd Edition Silhouette Special for it.  The McCarty and Tokai LS150s stayed my main gigging guitars.   Sold the PRS Rosie because I lusted after a PRS DGT Standard but couldn't get on with it for some reason and sold it. Bought a well used 2003 American Strat and use it for recording.   Making original rock and recording lots in home studio.   The Firebird comes out now and again to cut through EVERYTHING ! 
    Band - Rain Machine. 

Semi-retirement - Now trying to build my own 59 replica DC Junior to record with at home and hopefully gig with too.  After some Black Crowes early break-up tones. 

Too many others come and gone to mention ....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3963
    My main guitars have been:

Les Paul Custom
    Epiphone Sheraton (USA spec, mini HBs)
    Fender Telecaster
    Fender Jazzmaster - yet to gig but main rehearsal choice in latest band.

I’ve gradually got brighter, maybe my ears are done in.

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4973
    edited February 2020
    80's - 90's Satellite Thru-neck thingy (was actually a really good guitar!)

No photo description available

Stolen, so was replaced by...

90's - 00's 1989 Japanese Squier Strat, that got progressively more and more modded

Still owned but superceded by...

00's - Current Ibanez JS1000, unlikely I'll be going anywhere else now. The perfect, for me, guitar.

Image may contain one or more people people playing musical instruments and guitar

And for the times I have been a low down pervert...

OLP MM

And then, Warwick Fortress One (real German one, not a Rockbass reissue)

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Starter guitar and pre teens - Honer Rockwood Strat copy. I got this for my birthday from the old musical exchanges. My dad and I spent a good few hours trying a range of Strat type guitars and settled on this as it looked like Clapton’s blackie and sounded more raunchy than the others we tried.

Teens - Ibanez JS can remember which model, bought from a friend of my Dad. Looking back this was a really great guitar, easy to play, solid and reliable and very versatile. Don’t think I was of an age or stage in my playing to fully appreciate it.

Late teens - MIM Strat and Epi Les Paul. Loved both and played them to death, particularly the Epi LP

Early 20s - PRS SE tremonti- Great guitar and I still have it, has been modded a bit along the way

Late 20s - Gibson Les Paul Standard. Again great guitar that I still have, now has some mojo pickups which sound awesome!

Early 30s - Les Paul Junior SC and Esquire. Sold both but really wish I still had the Esquire.

Late 30s - Gibson Les Paul R8. My current no.1, wanted one for a very long time and finally was able to afford a second hand one. Hunted for a long time and then found this one and it was the one for me. Gig this in my Blues, Classic rock, covers and function bands. Gig the LP standard in my originals rock band and use the Tremonti SE as a back up for both.

In the future I would really like a DC junior from Ivison guitars, a red block inlay 335 and Tele/Esquire
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    edited February 2020
    Teens: jap squier strat into a trace elliot super tramp

20s: SG into a Marshall TSL/ Fender Blues deluxe 

30s: Tokai 335 into fender blues deluxe- 335 was too big then transitioned to a PRS DGT into a Rivera 2x12 

I've tried a few strats over the years, still have two. More for nostalgia. 

Going into 40s next year, guessing some sort of PRS Into a small valve head into a lightweight cab. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    Early teens was playing a Kay catalogue guitar ... awful thing

Late teens got a proper Ibanez Roadstar II ... great guitar

Early twenties Ibanez reverse headstock guitar then a Jem made from B stock components. EMG's fitted

Late Twenties some strange twin cut thing that was found in a 2nd hand shop, brilliant guitar can't remember the name

Early thirties another Ibanez sprayed to look like EVH's guitar

Late Thirties Epiphone LP with EMG's fitted. 

Early 40's got Stellacaster model made by Simms in Kent ..... that's my main giging guitar for rock bands

Late 40's started gig'ing a Telecaster which is still my main guitar now for anything not needing a heavy sound

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Pretty much used Teles since I was 19 (I'm now 34) excluding a spell playing dual humbucker guitars (LP/Ibanez Artist) in a heavy band. Before that as a kid it was Strats. 
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 230
    teens - Aria pro 2 urchin
    20s - 40s Rickenbacker 330 / Gibson les paul
    50s - Telecaster
  • DcotorstewieDcotorstewie Frets: 35
    edited February 2020
    I didn't start playing until my 40s, on a second hand Squier Tele. I didn't like it, and so when I decided to play in front of people, my gigging guitar was...
    An Epiphone Gothic Explorer. Because of course it was. ( It was 60 quid from Gumtree with a case and strap ) 
    As I am sure you are aware, ( but I ignored, because it was a great deal and played really well ) the Explorer is the sort of guitar that writes cheques your ability needs to be able to cash. 
    I couldn't. However, as I got better and gigged more as a guitarist, my major guitar ( and the one in my profile pic ) became an Epiphone Nighthawk. These things are great, and I am on my second, having sold the first to fund a PRS SE Semi Hollow, which I didn't get on with, sadly, as it was glorious to look at. Nothing I could put my finger on but...not quite right. 
    So now I am back to another Epiphone Nighthawk, and, just after Christmas I got another Epiphone, this time a DC pro, which, lovely and beefy as it is, still won't replace completely the Nighthawk. it just plays too well, and, sounds brilliant, ( and will cover most of the sound bases that I will ever need for the gigging that I do, which is basically fronting a Jam Night. 

• Late teens - Butterscotch modded Tele

Early 20’s -,Butterscotch modded Tele

The last 25 years - Butterscotch modded Tele

There are and have been other guitars but that Tele is like my soul brother. There’s nothing it can’t do and I’ve loved playing it in bands where it sticks out like a sore thumb. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'