Les Paul flame tops

What's Hot

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a new 60's Standard from Peach. They've just got a new batch in, each photographed individually. I'm looking at the Bourbon Bursts and Iced Tea, the lighter ones that come in around 9 lb's. Now there is quite a variation in the tops, some with very obvious flaming, other more subtle, others less clear almost quilt like. The flames on some are angled forwards, some angled back, some flatly horizontal. For instance, see the difference between 132790156 and 132790120:

https://www.peachguitars.com/brands/gibson-are-back/gibson-2019-les-paul-standard-60s-bourbon-burst.htm

Or check out the flame on 132690142, it's extreme, too flashy for some maybe?

https://www.peachguitars.com/brands/gibson-usa/gibson-2019-les-paul-standard-60s-iced-tea.htm

Just want to ask more about this 'flaming' business, it's hell of a job deciding which I prefer (I'm indecisive at the best of times), or perhaps to give me a sense or perspective and to stop being so undecisive...…...I realise it's 100% personal preference, it would be interest to know if you flame big or subtle. Or out of interest, which tops of Peach do you prefer?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Neither of those are particularly over the top.

The ones I don't like are where it's very narrow and regular like pinstripes.

I prefer both of those you linked to over something like this:

One other thing to bear in mind is that it will look different from different angles, and in different lighting conditions.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Not usually a fan of figured wood tops but that first one looks cool - quite unique and more interesting than the usual straight flametop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd say the Iced Tea one out of those two! Flame tops can look great subtle or intense, but I always think the really crazy flame tops that you see on some super high-end guitars can look a bit much, when the contrast between light/dark elements is so high it starts to look 'fake', almost? Don't know, might just be me.

Those two both look gorgeous though!
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited January 2020
    crunchman said:
    Neither of those are particularly over the top.

The ones I don't like are where it's very narrow and regular like pinstripes.

I prefer both of those you linked to over something like this:

One other thing to bear in mind is that it will look different from different angles, and in different lighting conditions.

I agree with the narrow flaming, not a good look. I think I'm preferring the wider or less defined flame.

Right now I'm leaning towards the more subtle Bourbon Burst 132790120.

The Iced Tea 132690142 does look striking, but perhaps too extravagant, tiger like for me.

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    edited January 2020
    The problem with flame, is that it is REALLY hard to capture in a photograph, it moves around, and is absolutely addictive.
    I have owned a couple of flamey things, and still do, but find less extravagant things work better for daily drivers.
    Get 'Beauty of the Burst' to get a grip on how the originals looked, and you might be surprised how over the top some of the modern stuff looks-compared to the old ones, but there are still a few amazing examples of flame on the real thing, they were very rare indeed.
    The ones in the OP are all nice, very authentic, and good for a 2K instrument, the custom shop one at over 5k, looks a bit too 'Barbeque' to me, 'BOTB' is the bible for this stuff.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    which dealer had the bourbons in at £1650 recently? one of them did
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Definitely the first one for me - a bit less regular and more interesting but both are great looking tops. 
  •   :tony99 said:

Might have been. To be honest, as I'm unable to visit a store I'd rather pay more from a site where I can see the finish and weight; Peach also have 24 months interest free credit :)
    Here is a gratuitous shot of the guitar in my avatar:

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    edited January 2020
    Never mind the flame, are you seriously buying one with a slim neck?!  o

Seriously though, if you’re spending £2k or thereabouts, have you thought about getting a used R8 for not a lot more? They come up on here from time to time, although the neck will be bigger than a 60s slim taper profile!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    edited January 2020
    You may thank me for this later, if not now...

That's the wrong way to choose a Les Paul.

Go to the shop, play all of them. They will vary in weight, probably neck angle, probably slightly in neck profile, and sound. Some of them will feel and sound better than others. They will also look different up close in person than in pics, as andy_k said.

It may not be very convenient to go to the shop, I know. But this is a pretty major purchase, presumably - one you'll probably keep a long time. Make sure you get the right one.

[/old fart lecture]

Never mind the flame, are you seriously buying one with a slim neck?!  o

Seriously though, if you’re spending £2k or thereabouts, have you thought about getting a used R8 for not a lot more? They come up on here from time to time, although the neck will be bigger than a 60s slim taper profile!
    Personally I would always buy one with a slim neck - I detest 'fat' necks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
      :tony99 said:

Might have been. To be honest, as I'm unable to visit a store I'd rather pay more from a site where I can see the finish and weight; Peach also have 24 months interest free credit :)
    oh no worries mate that's fair enough, some of the big ones though have got them cheaper, GAK for example have them at £1889 and free delivery, maybe they do finance too...
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Everything ICBM said above is mint.
    solid colours only for me on lezzas anyway, blacks, goldies, yellows, whites
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    clarkefan said:
    Everything ICBM said above is mint.

Apart from the bit about slim necks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    slim necks for the win, that's why 60s music was so much better than 50s dirge
  • darhartdarhart Frets: 63
    I'd consider a new old stock one  from thomann and save £800, send it back if it's no good, you could buy an SG with the change :-D

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_traditional_hb_2016.htm
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Would have to agree - if you're spending £2kish that'll get you a second hand custom shop R7, R8, Custom or SG.
    crunchman said:
    Here is a gratuitous shot of the guitar in my avatar:

r8?