Les Paul flame tops

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    edited January 2020
    tony99 said:

r8?
    R9

Depending on the light and angle, it can look more vivid than that.

That's just a phone camera.  I'm sure that Peach photography would make it pop a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know I know,  it would ideal to try first, but unfortunately I really can't spare the time to visit a store, they are hours/hundreds of miles away. Then again a lot of Fretboarders bought R8's from Peach without trying or seeing them in person! As for second hand, I'll have to use credit for this purchase and I want a brand new spangly guitar. You know that feeling when you've got your heart set on something and you just can't shake it off?

Neck, I prefer a slim neck. I tried an R8 at last years Bristol Jam, it was too thick for me.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4691
    Those two are so subtle I really can't see the issue tbh.

Me, I like a fat neck and lary flame and the best LP I've ever had was bought online :)
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited January 2020
    I have just looked at the dealers in your neck of the woods and I can see the problem.

If I were you I would chat with Peach and tell them that you want the best playing 60's Standard currently in the shop. This is the next best option after asking forum members to go into Peach and play every guitar for you.

In theory....we all have different opinions on which guitar is best out of 10 identical guitars.
    However.....if someone that I trust (trust is the key) tells me that one particular guitar rings like a bell, and is hard to put down, it is very likely that I would also have picked out that same  guitar from a bunch of slim neck Les Paul Standards.
    If the guitar looks OK (a picture of the guitar), and the weight is reasonable......buy that one.
    Talk to Peach and trust Peach to find the best playing LPS for you and don't worry about subtle differences in appearance.

ICBM was right. This is Gibson we are talking about  But this strategy is the next  best option in your circumstances.

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7088
    edited January 2020
    although there is the theory that the thinner the flame stripes, the higher the resonance frequency of that particular piece of wood's tone

and before anyone tries to poo-poo it, ask yourself this, why do you think they shout "timbre" when chopping down trees???
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039

Right now I'm leaning towards the more subtle Bourbon Burst 132790120.

The Iced Tea 132690142 does look striking, but perhaps too extravagant, tiger like for me.

I know flames can be over the top, but 120 is very dowdy in my opinion. Patchy and asymmetrical. I’d prefer a full plain top over that. 

142 is nice, relatively subtle, although quite tiger-like so if you don’t like that, don’t buy it. 

233 is the pick of the Iced Teas for me. A lot of those tops scream “R8 reject” to me. Sorry for being a top snob. 

Of the Bourbons, 152 is interesting and not too over the top, I like the streaks. Not so keen on the bow tie either side of the bridge. 211’s the most attractive to me, and if you want subtle flame without obvious flaws, it’s 156. 

I feel like the Cilla Black of the maple world. 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    edited January 2020
    Someone has to say it, but why drool over the pictures?  Take a day and go to the shop and try them there.  You may like what they have or you may not.  At least if you do buy, it will be an instrument that speaks your language to you.

Edit:  @ICBM said much the same thing but better above.  Heed his advice.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18639
    tony99 said:
    although there is the theory that the thinner the flame stripes, the higher the resonance frequency of that particular piece of wood's tone

and before anyone tries to poo-poo it, ask yourself this, why do you think they shout "timbre" when chopping down trees???
    You owe me a mouthful of wine & the costs of cleaning my laptop screen.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3013
    edited January 2020
    Rocker said:
    Someone has to say it, but why drool over the pictures?  Take a day and go to the shop and try them there.  You may like what they have or you may not.  At least if you do buy, it will be an instrument that speaks your language to you.

Edit:  @ICBM said much the same thing but better above.  Heed his advice.
     No need to say it as I agree and I am fully self aware that visiting a shop is the best course of action and knew when I wrote my OP that someone would be pointing this out, as I have seen done many many times on guitar forums. However for me to visit one of the shops that stock a few of this model would involve a 600 mile, twelve hour round journey, which for various reasons which I don’t want to bore you guys with, I won’t and can’t do. Fair enough if you can make such journeys just to buy a guitar but not it’s not for everyone. I’ve so far bought three electric guitars online and they’ve all been great. It is a gamble with risks though, I know. 

And anyway, it was a good excuse to ogle and talk about nice guitars wasn’t it?  

@skipped has given very sensible advice on making online purchases given the circumstances (thanks),
     perhaps I’ll call Peach next week.
    edited February 2020
    Back to the ogling, have a look at the photos on Richtone’s site:

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/gibson-les-paul-standard-and-60s-bourbon-burst/130290190/

They show a red tinge to the burst that you don’t see on Peach’s photos, Perhaps it’s the light and angle that shows this up, as mentioned by @Andy_k , it’s difficult  to capture?  This one looks pretty stunning to me

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 510
    You could move house - just being flippant I bet it is really nice where you live.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Have you thought of flying there and back?  I am being serious, I flew from ROI to Manchester when I bought my Anderson.  Make a weekend out of it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Goldtop FTW. Seen any in person? Don't discount a classy single colour particularly if you like the more matte feel.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14166
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    You may thank me for this later, if not now...

That's the wrong way to choose a Les Paul.

Go to the shop, play all of them. They will vary in weight, probably neck angle, probably slightly in neck profile, and sound. Some of them will feel and sound better than others. They will also look different up close in person than in pics, as andy_k said.

It may not be very convenient to go to the shop, I know. But this is a pretty major purchase, presumably - one you'll probably keep a long time. Make sure you get the right one.

[/old fart lecture]
    Hard to disagree with this thought pattern - The hands and ears test drive is a far better bet than which looks the best 
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 905

https://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/product/gibson-les-paul-standard-and-60s-bourbon-burst/130290190/

They show a red tinge to the burst that you don’t see on Peach’s photos, Perhaps it’s the light and angle that shows this up, as mentioned by @Andy_k , it’s difficult  to capture?  This one looks pretty stunning to me

Looks suspiciously like a filter to me, ask them to send you an unfiltered shop floor pic to get a better idea of its ‘everyday’ look
    tomajoha said:

Looks suspiciously like a filter to me, ask them to send you an unfiltered shop floor pic to get a better idea of its ‘everyday’ look
    agreed, the ice teas are lovely but that looks too red
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2176
    edited February 2020
    Get a 2017 R8. Great buys and plain tops are cool! 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2020
    Rocker said:
    Have you thought of flying there and back?  I am being serious, I flew from ROI to Manchester when I bought my Anderson.  Make a weekend out of it.
    I appreciate your trying to help but when I said I can’t I meant it, I can’t go swanning off on huge journeys from my family and business duties to buy guitars. Chester, Liverpool or Manchester are more realistic though there ain’t much there and less choice. Plus I hate flying. 
    Rocker said:
    I appreciate your trying to help but when I said I can’t I meant it, I can’t go swanning off on huge journeys from my family and business duties to buy guitars. Chester, Liverpool or Manchester are more realistic though there ain’t much there and less choice. Plus I hate flying. 
    I'm in liverpool and there isn't much at all you're right, Dawsons here have fuck all in but Rimmers sometimes has a few nice bits to be fair
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I'm excited for you mate. Whichever you choose I'm sure you'll love it