New Martin slope shoulders

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited February 2020
    Another one in the slope shoulder but different category would be Larrivee L series guitars. I have an older L09 and it is definitely a surprise to play for what looks and feels like a slope shoulder design. A big but balanced tone which edges more towards the Martin camp with a 25. 5" scale length. The neck on the one I have is pretty chunky being an earlier one. I'm not sure how recent ones stack up. Larrivee seems to be a brand that gets overlooked, especially in what is quite a long-standing body shape. This one is rosewood b/s but I would be interested to play a mahogany variation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited February 2020
    Lewy said:
    CloudNine said:
    Never played any long scale guitar, whether slope shouldered or whatever, that feels or sounds anything like a J45. It's a really fundamental element I think.
    Agree, although the OP says he's wants it to look like a J45 but play and sound like a Martin, so the longer scale actually fits the bill. 

I guess the closest Martin to true J45 spec would be the Ralph McTell...pricey though.
    I had a play on the McTell when Martin did their GuitarGuitar roadshow a few months ago.  Quite a special thing - I think it was strung with 10s!  Superbly easy to play, lovely tone, only lacking a bit of low end and volume due to the thin strings.  Not quite like anything I've ever played, before or since, and not really like a J45 either, despite the obvious similarities.
  • Lewy said:
    CloudNine said:
    Never played any long scale guitar, whether slope shouldered or whatever, that feels or sounds anything like a J45. It's a really fundamental element I think.
    Agree, although the OP says he's wants it to look like a J45 but play and sound like a Martin, so the longer scale actually fits the bill. 

I guess the closest Martin to true J45 spec would be the Ralph McTell...pricey though.
    I had a play on the McTell when Martin did their GuitarGuitar roadshow a few months ago.  Quite a special thing - I think it was strung with 10s!  Superbly easy to play, lovely tone, only lacking a bit of low end and volume due to the thin strings.  Not quite like anything I've ever played, before or since, and not really like a J45 either, despite the obvious similarities.
    That McTell sig model had me totally baffled. I know he played an old 00028 from time to time but his playing is so synonymous with his J45.