Hiscox cases

What's Hot
bloomerbloomer Frets: 207
I'm considering the Pro series for a 335 but wondering if there's anything else worth looking at? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Not in the same price rage.  Calton will be 8x-10x the money.

FWIW I keep my 335 in a Hiscox case ( and the Gibson one in the loft)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    edited February 2020 tFB Trader
  • I also had a badly-fitting Hiscox 335 pro  case, though when I contacted them they sent me some extra pads to hot-glue into the lining and now it fits fine. 

They said they were reviewing the fit of that particular case model, although I’m a bit puzzled as to why, if you’re making a case for 335-style guitars, you wouldn’t specifically make sure it was an exact fit for an actual 335. 
  • I bought a TKL 335 case to replace a horrible smelly Gibson case ( no idea what the previous owner had done to it ). The TKL was brilliant, heavier than a Hiscox and great for everyday stuff. If you want the best, Calton take some beating, they are bombproof, airtight, heavy as a small planet and these days will cost 1 to 1.5k sterling. I use them for touring (especially fragile acoustics ) and they are fantastic.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I went hiscox for my 335, sold the Gibson case on here to someone with an epi dot. 
    Very pleased with the result. It's my third Hiscox and probably wont be the last.

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Weird. I have them for my SG1000 and PRS & they fit perfectly. 
  • I have discovered that individual Hiscox Cases can suit individual Guitars in terms of a really good fit. I have five Les Pauls, and a couple of Hiscox Cases for two of them. One of the Guitars fits really well in one of the Hiscox Cases, but not in the other one. And it's the complete opposite for the other Lester that I keep in a Hiscox Case. It's somewhat the same for the rest which have their own Gibson Cases. The fit varies depending on which guitar I test in which Case. So, I don't think that Hiscox can be blamed as such, and, as above, they will supply extra padding, or, if you're close enough to them, fit the interior to suit your own guitar. I assume there must be enough variability between the Guitars to determine the degree of precision of the fit in any particular Case.
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 207
    so it seems the hiscox is good quality for the money but I may or may not be lucky with the fit. That's interesting @ArchtopDave that they're happy to fit the interior to your guitar if you're close, wonder if they'd do the same if I send them a tracing of the guitar body or give measurements.
  • If you contact them they are generally happy to send pads. They sent half a dozen to get my Gretsch snug in a dreadnaught case. 
  • I have had a number of buscou cases over the years with various guitars and they are my favourite in terms for value and design. They too have sent me extra pads when needed. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    I’ve always been happy with Hiscox cases. It’s not how tightly it fits the guitar that matters, it’s whether it’s strong enough to protect it... a Hiscox will survive a couple of heavy people standing on it, so I’m quite confident about their strength - and that they’re the strongest cases on the market in proportion to their weight.

If anything being slightly too loose a fit is better than being too tight, since it avoids transferring any pressure onto the guitar. If you’re bothered about it moving around you can always add pads.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have had a number of buscou cases over the years with various guitars and they are my favourite in terms for value and design. They too have sent me extra pads when needed. 
    Buscou? Couldn’t find anything on google, is that name right?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    Here Buscou Cases

"Autocorrect" I imagine?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom