Andy Gill - influence

What's Hot
DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2335
There is a tribute thread about Andy Gill, but his guitar playing has influenced various other players.

It is not going to be everybodies cup of tea and I expect someone to stop by and say his string bending is not to pitch, or his tone is not vintage correct etc.

I had the musical benefit of three older brothers, so I heard Entertainment! when it had just come out and was only just into double figures. It wasn't an easy listen then I never really met anyone who liked them until Nirvana name checked them. 

RHCP, Give it away - the start is Andy Gill with a tan and Californian dentistry.

RHCP, Throw away your television - first time I heard this I was sure it was a Gang of Four cover.

The 3 Johns - Jon Langford's guitar playing is very AG, certainly up to Atom Drum Bop.  Didn't listen to much after that.

Lots more long, lost `C86` indie bands... 

Franz Ferdinand - yep.

I saw in some of the OGWT videos posted that he had removed the only good pick up on his Strat! FFS.  Can't see there being an AG CS Strat anytime soon, though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Amen to that. 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    +1

An anti-hero in many ways but massively influential. A sad loss
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 839
    He was a big influence on Steve Albini who said, "He makes six strings produce more beautiful, broken noise than anybody". 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    Loads of bands have cited Gill and Gang of Four as a major influence: RHCP, Nirvana, REM, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, Liars, etc

But it's also all those bands that probably don't even realise the role GOF played in defining the post-punk sound. Whenever I listen to 6 music in the evening, I hear tune after tune reminiscent of 80s post punk.

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Fugazi too. 

RIP Andy, one of the greats and certainly massively influential. GoF were just superb. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    Has he died? Shit! Definitely one of the greats.
  • ewal said:
    Loads of bands have cited Gill and Gang of Four as a major influence: RHCP, Nirvana, REM, Franz Ferdinand, Bloc Party, Liars, etc

But it's also all those bands that probably don't even realise the role GOF played in defining the post-punk sound. Whenever I listen to 6 music in the evening, I hear tune after tune reminiscent of 80s post punk.

An old housemate of mine used to love GoF but I never got around to actually listening to Entertainment properly until the last 12 months or so and aside from the obvious (it's an absolute banger of an album) I couldn't quite believe at how much it sounded like a lot of other bands I listen to with Fugazi being one of them and many others.

It could be possible to overlook AG's genius, but it's near enough impossible to escape his influence.

A real legend for sure. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  •  A great and influential guitar player, a sad day and a big loss. :-(
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Totally cool player. He will be missed.