UK Special Hofner Verythin Dark Stain?

the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1777
edited January 2020 in Guitar
Does anyone know anything about these?

https://www.livelouder.co.uk/product/hofner-verythin-dark-stain-uk-exclusive/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhse08vuo5wIVGJ3VCh0W4QJ_EAkYAiABEgLtPvD_BwE

Details seem to be fairly sparse. I can't even seem to find out what the fretboards are made of or where they are maunfactured etc. They appear to be a simplified Verythin with fewer controls and probably basic fittings etc but they look like they would fill a Hofner shaped hole for me and the price is good. I'd not be too upset about modifying and changing a £300 guitar like that.

Any extra info or thoughts would be great though if anyone has any
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited January 2020
    Looks like a worn version of a verithin, like Washburn and others used to do, like a studio version. I've not tried the far Eastern verithins, but it looks decent enough.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1777
    Does anyone else have any info on these?
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Well I have one of the Chinese Verythins (can't remember when it was made but I've had it quite a few years now) and it is excellent, although I did find the pickups very dark. The first thing I did was get rid of the bridge pickup and replace it with a P90, which gives it a lot more 'zing'.
    Other than that, it is very well made and plays beautifully. 
    They feel a bit weird at first due to the thin body, which gives the impression of being huge, although it's the same size as a regular 335-type.
    I have to admit that I'm not so keen on these matt finished/ studio types and if I were looking for a Verythin I'd go secondhand - I'm sure they can't be much more expensive than the one posted. 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1777
    Thanks for the info. Sounds encouraging. Pickup swaps, although awkward can be done. I fully rewired and swapped the pickups in my old Epiphone Dot. 

I’m planning on refinishing the guitar anyway so the body finish is not that important to me and it would seem a shame to paint a nicer top. 
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    What a depressing looking guitar. Could you not buy a secondhand verithin in a nicer colour and with fret markers? There has to be a better option even if you're modding it. What about an Epi dot or a Hagstrom Viking?
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    the_jaffa said:
    I’m planning on refinishing the guitar anyway so the body finish is not that important to me and it would seem a shame to paint a nicer top. 
    I imagine that despite appearances the guitar has a very thick finish which would be difficult to remove. Might be worth checking this before you buy?
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Creosote?
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    I also have a verithin, its a nice guitar, comfy to play, the pick ups are a little dark but for the money they are great.