What have I done? (Bad workmanship content)

What's Hot
PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
I have just built up and installed a new pickguard for my strat - I’ve never done anything like this before, and after some slow and painful (solder burns) work, I had successfully got the pickups wired up and the pickguard installed back into the guitar. So far so good.
Strings back on, plug guitar in to amp, and..... sound! Change the pickup selector, and.... more sound! It works!! Each position works as expected! Ok, ideal, now test the volume pot... and that works nicely. Now for the tone pots.

Now here’s the big issue, both the tone pots roll the volume off.... what?!?

How on Earth have I done this?! I followed several YouTube videos, a guide from the place that provided the hardware, and used a diagram off of the internetz as reference, but yet I’ve still managed to wire it up so that tone pots seem to work, but kill the output as well.

Any ideas? I mean, it’s not the end of the world, and I’m dead chuffed I got this far, it would just be nice if worked like a real guitar.....!
This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    I suspect that the leg of the capacitor soldered to the pot lugs is shorted to earth
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    I suspect that the leg of the capacitor soldered to the pot lugs is shorted to earth
    Steve, I think you could be right...! I think where I’ve put the earth, it’s soldered to the connection to the tone pots.

Thank you! I’ll move that earth connection and try it again. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Remote diagnosis is always aided by photographs of the wiring in the actual instrument under discussion.

The problem often turns out to be a simple oversight.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Remote diagnosis is always aided by photographs of the wiring in the actual instrument under discussion.

The problem often turns out to be a simple oversight.
    Will do when I get chance to try what Steve suggested - I think that is what it is.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    What Steve said - either you’ve got a wire touching something it shouldn’t and shorting the cap side of the tone controls to ground, or you’ve overheated the tone cap itself and it’s internally shorted.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    For future reference, especially with Strats, it's always worth plugging the guitar into an amp and gently tapping the pickup pole pieces with a small screwdriver while working through all the switch and pot combinations before screwing it all back together and putting the strings on. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom