Riff of the Month (RotM)#55 - Challenge

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
edited February 2020 in Making Music
This is the 55th Riff of the Month (RotM) Challenge.

As there's been a lack of interest recently, it's now a combined Bass Riff Of the Month (BRotM), RAW Riff of the Month (RRotM) and Riff of the Month (RotM). Just a single challenge.

The challenge is now open, and remains open for submissions until midnight on 22nd February 2020 24th January 2020.

All you have to do is ...

Write a riff. It could be anything from a single RAW guitar track to a full mix of instruments or a Bass guitar riff. However, the focus must be on the riff. Most entries will probably be guitar based riffs, but they don't have to be.

Aim to keep it to a maximum of 50 seconds. This is about riffs, not songs.
Send your entry (as an mp3) to riffs@theFB.co.uk
Include your forum name in the email.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point. The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends.
No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used.

Hopefully interest will pick up, otherwise it will be time to knock it on the head.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/rotm55-2020-01

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Entered. This month I've entered with a bass riff, in the hope of trying to keep both Riff of the Month and Bass Riff of the Month going.

It would be nice to keep this one going but it will be time to knock it on the head if there's no interest this month.

It's not a competition.
  • An entry from @steven70 added to the playlist. That makes 2 entries.

It's not a competition.
  • 3 days to go. It would be good to get at least one more entry.

It's not a competition.
  • Entry closes tomorrow at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • If it's OK with @steven70 I'll keep this going one more month in the hope that there are more entries. If not I guess it's time to close this one down.
    It's not a competition.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    Sent one in
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    If it's OK with @steven70 I'll keep this going one more month in the hope that there are more entries. If not I guess it's time to close this one down.
    Sounds like a plan- yep be good to see some more entries. Nice one @IMC1980 I look forward to hearing yours. Cheers 

• IMC1980 said:
    Sent one in

Added to playlist. Saved the day for at least another month.

It's not a competition.
  • Just a reminder that this challenge is carried over to midnight 22nd February, to hopefully get more entries.

It's not a competition.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    A tip - maybe have challenge on the title not chat .. I didn't think there was a task - I'm not too bright .. :-)

Can you do two - one bass and one guitar or is this a single task - one riff either bass or guitar.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    I didn't know this existed. Still very much a beginner but I will come up with something and enter it.  Probably over the weekend.
  • Fretwired said:
    A tip - maybe have challenge on the title not chat .. I didn't think there was a task - I'm not too bright .. :-)

Can you do two - one bass and one guitar or is this a single task - one riff either bass or guitar.
    That's a good idea. I'll use the word challenge instead of chat.

As it says in the OP, it could be anything from a single RAW guitar track to a full mix of instruments or a Bass guitar riff. However, the focus must be on the riff. Most entries will probably be guitar based riffs, but they don't have to be.

I've just rolled Riff of the Month, Raw Riff of the Month and Bass Riff of the Month into a single challenge, because there was no longer enough interest in the separate challenges.
    It's not a competition.
    Fretwired said:

As it says in the OP, it could be anything from a single RAW guitar track to a full mix of instruments or a Bass guitar riff. However, the focus must be on the riff. Most entries will probably be guitar based riffs, but they don't have to be.

I've just rolled Riff of the Month, Raw Riff of the Month and Bass Riff of the Month into a single challenge, because there was no longer enough interest in the separate challenges.

Thanks.

I'll rephrase my question - is this a single riff competition or split between guitar and bass? Could I submit a bass riff and a guitar riff (two separate tracks) or will people simply vote on the best riff which could be bass or guitar?

Is there anyway the challenge tasks could be made sticky?

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited February 2020
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

Thanks.

I'll rephrase my question - is this a single riff competition or split between guitar and bass? Could I submit a bass riff and a guitar riff (two separate tracks) or will people simply vote on the best riff which could be bass or guitar?

Is there anyway the challenge tasks could be made sticky?

There weren't enough entries in the individual separate challenges, so I made it into a single riff competition. People then vote for their favourite riff, which could be bass, guitar or multiple instruments.

However, you could submit as many entries as you like.

If I started getting a load of entries for given type (say bass guitar) then I could separate it into its own category again.

I'm trying to think of ways to keep this type of challenge alive as the number of entries has diminished in recent months, so I'm open to any suggestions that might help. I don't have the power to make it a sticky.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

There weren't enough entries in the individual separate challenges, so I made it into a single riff competition. People then vote for their favourite riff, which could be bass, guitar or multiple instruments.

However, you could submit as many entries as you like.

If I started getting a load of entries for given type (say bass guitar) then I could separate it into its own category again.

I'm trying to think of ways to keep this type of challenge alive as the number of entries has diminished in recent months, so I'm open to any suggestions that might help. I don't have the power to make it a sticky.

OK I get it - thanks for organising.

I think we need a way to publicise it - the newbie above stated he didn't know about it. I do know about it but struggle sometimes to find relevant threads as they sink so fast.

A dedicated section for challenges would help.

• CeeJay said:
    I didn't know this existed. Still very much a beginner but I will come up with something and enter it.  Probably over the weekend.
    Great. Entries are gratefully received.

It's not a competition.
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    edited February 2020
    @stratman3142  ;Well, for better or worse, I've sent one in. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited February 2020
    CeeJay said:
    ...I've sent one in. 

Added to the playlist in the original post. That makes 4 entries. 

Things are starting to pick up again.  It would be great to get more entries.

It's not a competition.
  • Entry closes tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • Entry closed.
    It's not a competition.