Americana?

What's Hot

Comments

• AlexOAlexO Frets: 1083
    Jason Isbell and Chris Stapleton are the epitome of modern day Americana for me. I've just got back from Nashville and watched a few great acts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I love those two, both perfectly encapsulate that sound in their own way. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd add:

Gillian Welsh
    Dave Rawlings
    Norman Blake
  • Good shout, I've already done Welch/Rawlings (he's great) but I'd forgotten Norman Blake. There are loads of those bluegrass guys who qualify but space only permits a few of them - I think I'll add him and Doc Watson in just to be safe!
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2260

I like some Americana mainly when electric guitars are involved

Jayhawks - personal fave
    Son Volt
    Peter Bruntnell (NZ/UK)
    Blue Mountain
    Bros. Landreth
    Chuck Prophet
    Counting Crows
    Drive-by-Truckers
    Guthrie Trapp
    Golden Smog
    Jason Isbell 
    Old 97s
    Sheryl Crow
    Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I would also suggest The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. With 3 Will the Circle album projects and the 50(?) year celebration album they have a great history of bringing together only and new and helping the music to push off in other directions.

BTW, this sounds like a great project. Please post details of the book when it’s available.
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    edited February 2020
    Good to hear Welch and Rawlings are in.  Looking further back I think (the rediscovery of) Karen Dalton has been influential.  As for artists I'd like to see get a mention that haven't had one so far, MC Taylor (Hiss Golden Messenger) and Jason Molina (Songs:Ohia, Magnolia Electric Company), and pushing the boundaries a little, Califone.

That last one is a little personal - of all genres I'd usually assume Americana wouldn't have a place for performance art, wide-ranging cross cultural mashups, glitchy digital synths and found sound collages, but for me Califone can totally nail the feeling of Americana.

Huh, and Townes Van Zandt, of course.
  • xDottorexDottore Frets: 274
    Then there's the whole Red Dirt scene in OK and TX, people like Turnpike Troubadours, Charley Crockett and Vincent Neil Emerson. Again, I don't know if it's right but I think of them as a part of Americana.

You need an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.

My feedback page: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91654/
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    A massive task and tricky to nail so good luck and tight editing lol.

so a couple

Gram Parsons
    The Dillard’s 
    Towns Van Zandt
    Buckley

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    @stuartryanmusic I see the Book is out now, well done in getting it done, having a rad in the kindle now :)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    The Band

Townes Van Zandt

Guy Clark

John Cougar Mellencamp

To me, they are representative of music known as Americana. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2020
    I don't know where the modern day bands fit in, but I have always liked The War On Drugs & the Kurt Vile's stuff.

Is it Americana, or some kind of hybrid?

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I'd summarise it as country with extra attitude and intelligence, and no cheese.

I guess in many ways you could trace the origins back to Dylan going electric, and the whole movement that seemed to spring from that (via The Band, Gram Parsons, CSNY, Creedence etc etc).

For me the essence today is the combining of acoustic and electric instruments, a respect and love of authentic country roots, bypassing the cheesy commercial Nashville influence, and then sprinkling in some more up to date indie-rock sensibilities.  This is what separates it from pure "country rock" in my mind. 

Any lyrics about cold beers, trucks or (ironically) the USA should instantly disqualify a song/artist from the genre IMO

In terms of specific artists, this is some of what I'm enjoying at the moment:

Neko Case
    Willie Sugarcaps
    Israel Nash
    Jonathan Wilson
    Strand of Oaks
    Molly Tuttle
    Courtney Marie Andrews
    Jayhawks
    Dawes
    Margo Price
    Amanda Shires
    Jason Isbel
    Band of Heathens
    Mariel Buckley
    Luke Winslow-King
    Brandi Carlisle
    Andrew Combes
    Danial Romano
    ...and yes, Ryan Adams
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    edited July 2020
    Something that makes Americana what it is, I think, is it's fusion between (or appropriation of) African musical scales and rhythms coupled with Western scales and American experiences.  As an American, I think English bands have interesting lyrics that often reach deep into a sort of lore and culture that Americans don't have.  Americana tells different types of stories, more simple stuff about struggles and failures and let-downs and hard times of the here and now.  It's more inclined to protest (America gives us lots to protest, doesn't it!?!?).  Americana is just kinda gritty and bluesy in both sound and lyrics, stylistically more simple and formulaic, an excuse to speak and dance.  No frills.

Sam Philips (Elvis' manager) actually said he needed to put a white face on black music so that he could make some money.  That right there is begging for Joe Johnson, Bo Diddly, Muddy Waters, Keb Mo, John Lee Hooker, Junior Kimbrough, Ray Charles, BB King, Jimi.  I know this reaches into "Soul" but I'd be tempted to mention Aretha, Etta, Marvin Gaye, Archie Bell, Temptations, Smokey Robinson, the Parliaments.

Also, Dolly Parton, Janis Joplin, SRV, Willie Nelson, Black Crowes, Tom Petty!  I second the above John Mellencamp reference and would add Tracy Chapman.
  • almacalmac Frets: 76
    How's the book coming along?
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    It’s been on amazon for a while now 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    edited September 2020
    A difficult one to categorize as you could link, let's say The Carter Family to more modern stuff like Alison Kraus to Calexico to Alt stuff like Howe Gelb/Giant Sand and even stuff like Silver Jews and Bonnie Prince Billy.

Sort of like where does it begin and end? It's as broad a term as "Rock" really.

Edit - DOH! Its done! Well done!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • John Moreland 
    Shovels and rope
  • Hi everyone, yes it's been out since about early March. Thanks again for the input, I'd love to do a second volume as its such a huge genre, maybe with more of a focus on just the modern sound of Americana given the term was only coined in the 1980s. However, two more books to write before that and the next release, Soul Rhythm guitar, will be out just in time for Christmas! Hope you're all well and managing to find some joy in this strange year 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kurokuro Frets: 26

sev112 said:

Looking at the kind of vibe that Molly Tuttle has on her recentish album, not the normal flatpicking stuff.
    thanks @sev112 I've been listening to some Molly on your recommendation and she is incredible!