P. A system recommendations

What's Hot
Below is my bands requirements. We're a 5 piece band (2x guitarists) playing hard rock
3 vocals and kick drum mic going through the p.a, we only play small/medium venues.
Needs to connect 2/3 fold back monitors to desk/system.
I've played live for over a decade and have done live engineering so I'm no beginner, but I'm the bassist, so simpler the better. 
Max £500, it's quite tight budget but I'm hoping a can get pieces separately or used. At a push on finance.
Our old bassist had the p.a, hence why we need a new one!
Thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    That is a tiny budget tbh. I'd be looking at something separate to run the kick drum through, like an old 15" powered cab, just to leave yourselves some vocal headroom. 

You'll need a much bigger PA than your budget will allow if your vocals and kick drum are sharing cabs. 
  • To be fair I've seen pa systems on ebay for less and yamaha stage pass 400 and 600 under £500.
    The kick doesn't have to be mic'd just preferred 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    Your max budget would almost stretch to a pair of Alto TS312s

But that doesn't include a desk nor a sub (if you need to mic the kick).

Whilst this may be considered heresy on a guitar forum – the most important thing in the band are the vocals.  How much does your guitar rig cost?  Wouldn’t it seem reasonable to be spending a similar amount on the PA and, if there’s more than just one vocal going through it, considerable more.

I gig pubs and small venues with a pair of Yamaha DXR12’s and a XR18 digital desk, total cost <£1500 (actually less than some of the guitars that I gig).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What bits do you already have? ie. What does the £500 have to cover?
  • I can probably find some stuff used on here, ebay and gumtree.
    Would the stagepas be too small for a band? As long as the vocals are heard, punters are happy
  • I have cables, microphones, floor monitors and can get some stands for cheap. So speakers and small mixing desk
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    edited February 2020
    If you have gigs lined up i would consider using the gig money to invest in a better pa. We had a cheap pa to start that was alto mixer , peavey power amp and old 15 inch speakers. Now using yamaha dbr 12s + sub and XR16 mixer. We have always treated the pa as a band member and put 20% of gig money towards it. 

Our old system was around your budget but heavy - new system is light years ahead. Make sure the band owns the pa rather than any individual.
  • I would suggest a pair of Mackie Srm450 powered speakers. They are loud and punchy and can be picked up relatively cheaply on the used market (I’ve seen a pair today on Facebook for £250).
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Yeah a pair of used SRM450's and a little alto desk will get you going .... the older Mk1 SRM's are a better than the MK2 and 3's 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    Yeah a pair of used SRM450's and a little alto desk will get you going .... the older Mk1 SRM's are a better than the MK2 and 3's 
    Thanks I'll keep an eye out for them. There's cheap peavey and phonic mixing desks which would be suitable as well
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    For £500 you can have my Mackie SA1521s and CFX20 mixer with flight case. They’re too big for what I do nowadays, so I want to de-clutter. You need an estate car or van to collect from near Loughborough.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    For £500 you can have my Mackie SA1521s and CFX20 mixer with flight case. They’re too big for what I do nowadays, so I want to de-clutter. You need an estate car or van to collect from near Loughborough.
    I may be interested in the speakers but the mixer is way too much for what I need
  • www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • I found a pair of wharfedale Pro psx112 for £300 which look great value for money
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I found a pair of wharfedale Pro psx112 for £300 which look great value for money
    Personally I'd avoid them, something like this will be much better quality

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mackie-SRM450-v3-Speaker-Pair-with-Stands/164070356608?epid=20021416138&amp;hash=item26335af680:g:lbcAAOSwabxeMzpd&amp;LH_ItemCondition=3000

With a little Behringer desk
  • John_A said:
    I found a pair of wharfedale Pro psx112 for £300 which look great value for money
    Personally I'd avoid them, something like this will be much better quality

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mackie-SRM450-v3-Speaker-Pair-with-Stands/164070356608?epid=20021416138&amp;hash=item26335af680:g:lbcAAOSwabxeMzpd&amp;LH_ItemCondition=3000

With a little Behringer desk
    That's a good deal. Quite far away as I live in Ipswich unfortunately 
  • Also why would you avoid the wharfedale ones? 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Also why would you avoid the wharfedale ones? 
    Because they are below average at best.
    I'm near Ipswich and have some PA you could try to see what decent but old tech can do. I also have modern active units to compare with.
    There is no reason to compromise quality if you don't mind hauling stuff. Even modern powered cabs are available at modest prices from new these days.
  • I don't mind hauling stuff done it for my last band.
    I will take you up on that offer some time
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Also why would you avoid the wharfedale ones? 
    I bought an almost new pair of these very cheaply as a rehearsal rig when a singer friend emigrated, she picked up another pair in New Zealand.
    Another mate bought a pair for occasional parties. 

Out of the six Wharfedale 1x12 powered cabs of my personal acquaintance five are now dead, all within three years, all with terminal power module failures. 

Avoid them, even if free of charge!