Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What do you think you would do if...

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
edited February 2020 in Off Topic
...you’re walking along the road and come across an old man laying in the recovery position, apparently unconscious, with three people crouched around him.  They are calling his name in an attempt to rouse him but are getting no response.  One of them then says “It’s ok - he’s breathing”.  There are lots of people around in the street.  What would you would do - if anything, in this scenario?

Be honest.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Walk away. I've no medical knowledge to help him more than those currently attending to him, I'd presume an ambulance has been called, and I'd want to get out of the way of any potential support coming.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • 1 - Make sure at least one of them's sober
    2 - Ask if they need any help
    3 - Ask if any of them have any medical training, and how long the ambulance will be
    4 - Depending on the time of day and location, see if I can get the various bystanders to try to locate a doctor/nurse/paramedic in a nearby shop/pub/doctor's surgery/etc. It's better than standing around gawping.

Obviously, some of these things depend on the others.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d do a Dionne Warwick 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited February 2020
    I’d do a Dionne Warwick 

“Let me go to him”?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d do a Dionne Warwick 
    Ask if one of them knows the way to Santa Fe?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Help. Naturally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    Happened to me a few years back.   I stayed long enough to assure myself someone already had the situation under control, then went on my merry way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd check that help had been called for, and let them get on with it.
  • I'd check that help had been called for, and let them get on with it.
    This

• Tenebrous said:
    Walk away. I've no medical knowledge to help him more than those currently attending to him, I'd presume an ambulance has been called, and I'd want to get out of the way of any potential support coming.
    This.

I have been ‘first on scene’ finding an old man slumped by the side of the road and did my best to check that he was okay and if he wanted help/ ambulance which he said he didn’t. No one else came over to us to offer help and I would have liked some reassurance. When there’s already two or three people there already I don’t know what I’d have to offer.
    I have also had a fall and been lying prostrate on the pavement. I don’t think there were any pedestrians passing by whilst I was down there but there were definitely cars and no one stopped to check. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    I think that there have been studies published about this (there was something on Radio 4).

If you are on your own and encounter someone is distress you are far more likely to help than if there is a crowd.  Human nature is such that we assume that somebody else has got it covered.

I can't remember the exact mechanisms at play.  Maybe that we assume that somebody else is better qualified but I think it may have also been to do with us copying others.  If everybody is standing back we have a tendancy to do the same?
  • I'd at least ask if they were okay and if the needed any help.

A work colleague recently came across a similar scenario except the casualty wasn't breathing. There was already someone there, but because there was a (thankfully short) delay waiting for an ambulance to arrive, he had to take over chest compressions because the other guy was knackered.

You don't need to now much to be able to help. Everyone should learn some basic life saving skills because you never know when something might happen or who it's going to happen to.

I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Not my response but surely the done thing nowadays is to whip out your phone and video it 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    I once saw a motor cyclist drop his bike, slide headlong into a car coming the other way, and then slide down the road.  I was first to react but, as I ran towards him, I thought 'if he is still alive, I've absolutely no idea what to do'.  Fortunately he was alive (it eventually turned out that all he had suffered was gravel rash and a broken coxis) but all I could do was talk to him, keep him still and make sure taht nobody tried to remove his helmet.  A passing ambulance driver (not a paramedic) arrived before the emergency ambulance.

Despite good intentions I still haven't learned first aid.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I can do CPR so I'd give him that whether he needed it or not.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    I was once first on the scene of a car accident. A Vauxhall vx220 went past me at speed on a country lane. It went round a bend and I heard an almighty crash.

When I got round the bend the vauxhall had it's entire front smashed in and there was a Land rover upside down in a ditch at the side of the road. The missus went to check on the Vauxhall occupants. I went to the Land rover. I was expecting to find a corpse or heavily injured occupant. 

I opened the door and the driver crawled out. Of course he was shuck up. I tried to get him to sit down and not move, but he insisted on lighting a fag and standing up and walking around. 

We stayed until the emergency services turned up. 

Turned out the middle aged Vauxhall driver had picked up the car new that morning and was trying to impress his twenty something girlfriend. My missus was ranting to the police that they should lock the twat up and throw away the key.

Nobody seriously injured thankfully. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    I'd never return to the scene...

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Impossible to answer- it depends on the precise situation.
    Has never happened but I've witnessed a number of motorcycle RTA's and I've done some bike-related risk assessment training.

Scene management is the most important aspect of any situation and the most important thing is to look after yourself.
    Essentially you shouldn't put yourself in harm's way.

Number two is not to panic.
    If you panic then at best you can be useless, but you can be a hazard too.

Are people aware of what a DRA is?
    It is used in the fire service and means "dynamic risk assessment".
    The easiest explanation of a DRA is crossing the road- you get to the road, look left, right and left and walk when it is safe.

Any emergency situation is the same, you look at the situation and you adjust to the situation.

Before I did the training I would tend to offer help to people.
    More than a couple of times the person lying in the street has simply been drunk or on drugs and have rather noisily rejected any help offered, to the point of becoming aggressive.
    In that situation I'd leave them to it.

In Emp's scenario above I'd ask if the ambulance has been called, ask if anyone knows first aid and try to work out if they know more or less than me. I'd defer to anyone with medical training (doctor, nurse) but otherwise I'd act in accordance with the training I've done. I'd wait for the ambulance and then ask the paramedic if they want me to remain or to leave. If I can't ask that then I'd wait until I could, up to a point. I didn't see anything useful in the above situation so remaining might not be worth remaining on scene once the emergency services are there. They usually tell you what to do.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    ...you’re walking along the road and come across an old man laying in the recovery position, apparently unconscious, with three people crouched around him.  They are calling his name in an attempt to rouse him but are getting no response.  One of them then says “It’s ok - he’s breathing”.  There are lots of people around in the street.  What would you would do - if anything, in this scenario?

Be honest.
    As someone who has done this before, and has a very recently lapsed first aid qualification;

- Ask if the bystanders have called an ambulance
    - Ask if anyone there is first-aid trained
    - Ask if they need help
    - If everything is under control, leave them to it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd probably ask if all was under control, try to get a feeling for whether the people around him are helping or hindering. I'd probably stick around long enough to figure out whether they are his attackers or helpers.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.