SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB David White Old Glories

What's Hot
RebarRebar Frets: 131
Hoping to find a set of David White Old Glories for a strat.

Cheers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    Good luck with that!  I've not seen them for MANY years.  Fantastic pickups - wish I still had a pair.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    Phew . . . A proper blast from the past ! ! ! I had a set on a 70's Reissue Stratocaster over 20 years ago  . . .  Where would you start ??? Great pickups as I remember, if my memory serves me well I believe that David White has passed away ???
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• RebarRebar Frets: 131
    I've been looking for a set of well regarded strat pickups to swap with some lace sensors in one of my guitars. A friend of mine suggested Old Glories, but they're proving difficult to get hold of. From what I can gather, David White passed away a few years ago and I figured I'd put a request out there in case someone had a set lying around. I'm starting to think I should look into alternatives. One possibility is Dawgtown pickups, I'm not open to others though. Any suggestions would be very welcome. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    Either Marc at Mojo or Ash at Oil City would be able to make you something.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Resurrection bump
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    edited February 2020
    I am old enough to remember DWOG pickups when they first appeared. The thing that escapes me is what exactly was supposed to be special about them? (One Interweb write up suggests variable coil winding tension and scattering.) 

I concur with those who say that obtaining DWOG pickups will be difficult. If you know what their USP is, it might be possible to commission a UK maker to produce something very similar.
    Be seeing you.
  • I am old enough to remember DWOG pickups when they first appeared. The thing that escapes me is what exactly was supposed to be special about them? (One Interweb write up suggests variable coil winding tension and scattering.) 

I concur with those who say that obtaining DWOG pickups will be difficult. If you know what their USP is, it might be possible to commission a UK maker to produce something very similar.
    He used an old Sinclair Spectrum and created a CNC winder, cleaver bit was it had the ability to vary the tension and the wind pattern but it replicated them between pickups something hand winders can't do (despite what we may or may not claim there is always variance). He was the first to really do this, it wasn't until the rise of the boutique hand scatterwinders almost a decade later that anyone got close.

He also did some work for Hohner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    I bought a set back in the day when you could send off your single coils in part-ex. I sent in the original Japanese pickups from my JV Squier strat.

I still have the strat and it's still sporting the DWOG pickups. They're not for sale I'm afraid, and I've never seen another either in the flesh or for sale. Hen's teeth spring to mind!

Out of interest, why are you after these pickups in particular?
    An acquaintance has a 90s USA Standard Strat which he fitted with Old Glories a number of years ago. When I eventually played it I was blown away with the tone (particularly from the neck pickup). It was what I always considered to be a classic strat sound. I'm not good at describing it any clearer than that and that's what prompted me to enquire about whether anyone had a set. 
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Gotcha. They're nice but as said above I'm sure any of the scatterwinders can build something similar :)