GSP1101 Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• What are you folks playing your Gsp through at home? Long whining story which I'll cut short, but mine just sounds like it's lacking something through my current set up. I don't like Marshall sounds so it's the Fender based ones
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mostly through a real guitar cab, via a power amp of some kind. I've tried FRFR using a cheap 8" PA speaker but that was a bit muddy, perhaps unsurprisingly. I don't really like the sound through headphones very much.
  • I'm running through cheap mixer and studio style monitors (not good ones though I'm sure) but the sounds I'm trying to get whether clean or driven or between the two are missing something. Could just be volume, I dunno. Could it be because the GSP only models the preamp and it's power amp distortion I'm after? 

Just lacks a bit of thump and size for want of better words.

The Fuzz distortion type sounds are fine, strangely. In fact the Octavia pedal is incredible, if I could get that in a single pedal I'd be tempted to Go to normal pedals and amp (albeit with line out as I can't use amps in my small room)
  • It does model the whole chain, so it shouldn't be lacking because of that...have you checked the output settings for the 1/4" line output? That can affect the overall sound a lot.

I agree the drive pedals do sound good into the front end of the amp. I was trying some of them out into the clean channel of my Orange TH30 and they sounded a lot better then most real drive pedals...I've always struggled with drive pedals into that amp.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited February 2019
    It does model the whole chain, so it shouldn't be lacking because of that...have you checked the output settings for the 1/4" line output? That can affect the overall sound a lot.

I agree the drive pedals do sound good into the front end of the amp. I was trying some of them out into the clean channel of my Orange TH30 and they sounded a lot better then most real drive pedals...I've always struggled with drive pedals into that amp.
    I don't use the 1/4" line outputs I use the xlrs. Might have time for a fiddle on Thursday morning so might just see if it's worth persevering or just giving it up for a while.

The drive pedals I can take or leave, it's the Octavia that is brilliant to me, and the Grunge pedal is what I use for big muff fuzz sound, surprising decent. Shame they don't do the Octavia in a standalone
  • Ah ok...yeah, maybe just the speakers you are using. How is it through headphones?
    edited February 2019
    Ah ok...yeah, maybe just the speakers you are using. How is it through headphones?
    The same pretty much. Probably just my ears and inability to like things!!
  • I struggle to like the sounds I get through FRFR tbh - whether it be PA speakers, monitors or headphones. I find them functional rather than inspiring.

The only exception for me was a Behringer v-Amp, funnily enough...I really liked that through headphones. Even though I never liked the Line6 Pod that is was copying. I used the amp version of that for a while - the V-ampire and I really liked that too...it was just pretty inflexible to use.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    I remember a similar issue with the Helix. Not sure why the real amp pre-amp is so quiet compared to the internal pre-amps. I need to crank the amp pre-amp way up and take the internal pre-amp preset level down to like 10%. If I then accidentally change to a default preset it will decapitate me!
    Check the menus there is a setting for +4/- 10db for the preamp and iirc a switch on back for the preamp return.  More than likely just one of them set to +4 when amp is -10
  • mr-mac said:
    I remember a similar issue with the Helix. Not sure why the real amp pre-amp is so quiet compared to the internal pre-amps. I need to crank the amp pre-amp way up and take the internal pre-amp preset level down to like 10%. If I then accidentally change to a default preset it will decapitate me!
    Check the menus there is a setting for +4/- 10db for the preamp and iirc a switch on back for the preamp return.  More than likely just one of them set to +4 when amp is -10
    I don't think there are any internal menus for the loop level...just the switch on the back. There's a setting for the xlr levels but that makes the final sound louder...not just the external pre-amp.

I think it's mostly just that the internal pre-amps have the amp level set quite high...like 70%. If I set my real amp level that high then it's not far off.
    mr-mac said:
    I don't think there are any internal menus for the loop level...just the switch on the back. There's a setting for the xlr levels but that makes the final sound louder...not just the external pre-amp.

I think it's mostly just that the internal pre-amps have the amp level set quite high...like 70%. If I set my real amp level that high then it's not far off.
    There is a switch on back which is for loop but output or input.  There is a 2nd option in menus for the one switch doesn't effect. 

They are opposite to what people seem to expect too +4db is quieter then - 10db as its setting it to handle the louder +4 or quieter - 10.

So if too loud make sure the loop is set to +4.

Will look up mine as sure I set a menu option for loop sensativity too. 
    edited March 2019
    Manual says....

Loop send is always -10 the switch in is +4 reduces gain of return signal.  Or out -10 increases gain of return signal.  Defo worth checking menus though as it may be loop send was added with c63 if it was then also swapping it and seeing which is quieter. 
    edited March 2019
    C63 has a loop level send which has a max of 110 and is set at unity gain of 99 as standard.  So you can reduce the loop send level too.

To see if this is case plug a cable into gsp on a no effect, no internal preamp preset (tricks gsp into thinking guitar plugged in) .  Then plug guiter straight into amp your using and have amp coming in to gsp with loop return. Play it.... 

Then remove cable from gsp input and plug guitar in to gsp and replace cable from gsp loop to amp.  See if volume is the same as when you went direct to guitar amp.  If it is louder through gsp then reduce loop send till they both match. 

When they both match I'll bet your internal amp models sound closer in volume to external amp.

Also have loop return set to +4 not - 10.  Worth doing this to get gain structure correct for external as getting it wrong can easily reduce your dynamics. 
    Or if its other way round and external quiet set return to - 10 and do same test as I said but this time if direct to amp is louder then into gsp and out to amp then boost loop send level a little till its same as guitar straight to amp. 

It just gets your gain structure better and helps tone in end product getting loop level and send level spot on to match
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    So I'm happy with the sounds I get via a power amp and real cab but I'm struggling a bit with the direct to mixer / in-ears sounds. My hi-ish gain rock sounds are very mushy. Would I be better off using a cleanish amp model like a bassman or something and using a pedal model for the extra gain? If so, any suggestions about amp/cab combos that might work?

I'm actually starting to think even the GSP1101 might be too complex for my needs. It would be quite nice to have something I can mess with during practice that is sitting right there on the floor and easily tweakable to get the few basic sounds I need. Something like the Headrush gigboard would probably be perfect. If it ever gets released in the UK.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    Of the internal IR's I found the Alt 4x12 is good for high gain sounds.
    I've been using the  2101 clean preamp model on the Gsp1101 of late, which I know is based on the preamp in the gsp2101 of course, but what is that preamp based on? 

On another note, I tried to use another preamp (Zoom G3) to try and run in parallel using the stereo loop and it didn't work which is a shame. Anybody managed this type of thing successfully? I used an aby box, A into front of Gsp, b into front of G3. Patch lead from Gsp loop send to left return, then the G3 output into the right return. Sounded awful. Can't really justify buying two external preamps to use though what with all my noise problems so just wondered if I was doing anything stupid
  • Here I am again.

A question - the Digitech RP360 seems to have the same models and I've recently built up a nice set of four presets on the Gsp1101, but the big old track unit isn't very portable. Could the RP360 be like the HX Stomp equivalent to put on a small "open mic night" type board for ease of portability?

Appreciate it's only got one processor compared to the GSP and no IRs, but thought it might be worth a punt
  • Back from the dead. 

Does anybody know if the Bassman model on the gsp1101 actually sounds and reacts fairly similarly to the real thing? Or to any other amps of that type of sound?

I ask because my main go-to preset is based on that amp with the Sparkdrive as my preamp, then use my drive pedals into that. But the unit is big and cumbersome, seems to not like me whacking it with pedals, and I'm not getting good sounds out of the Peavey amp I got recently which I hoped might replace the need for the gsp. So was hoping it was quite similar to the amp it's based on in order to get such an amp in its place
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    No digital multi-effect unit input stage is likely to appreciate being subjected to so much gain that its analogue-to-digital IC is driven into clipping.

The GSP1101 is a 1U 19” rack unit. Flight case it and your rack power amplifier. Job done.

It is impossible to answer about modelling accuracy without having the modeller and the modelled in the same room at the same time. 

Come to think of it, it is likely that two original tweed Fender Bassman amplifiers will have worn differently and, hence, not sound identical.

Overall, it is probably wisest not to get hung up about modelling accuracy. Instead, mess about with the parameters until you arrive at sounds that you like.

IMO, the tweed Fender Bassman 4x10 is not so much an amplifier, more a complete approach to electric guitar playing. (Ditto, the Marshall JTM45 and Plexi amps.) It might get loud. CORRECTION: It will get loud.

Be seeing you.