I got a Neutron

What's Hot
And finally got a UK plug adapter for it today...

Never had a mono before, and it seems a good example of how limitations such as just 2 oscillators and mono / paraphony make you do different things than you would with a poly.

I like how it sounds "old" too.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I liked the neutron I played in the shop, managed to get a few good sounds out of it pretty quickly. Still thinking about getting one.

Keep us updated on how you're getting on with it.
  • I'm giving serious thought to buying a Deepmind. I can't get it outta my head. It's deep in mah mind!!

Bye!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I'm giving serious thought to buying a Deepmind. I can't get it outta my head. It's deep in mah mind!!
    Have you played one?

It is a decent synth for what it is but it is based in part on the Juno 106, which isn't a synth I'd necessarily suggest for what you've told me you are after and the music I've heard you do.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    I'd love a Deepmind too, in the same way I'd like to own "all the synths". It's a bargain, but I have other stuff that covers that type of ground.
  • octatonic said:
    I'm giving serious thought to buying a Deepmind. I can't get it outta my head. It's deep in mah mind!!
    Have you played one?

It is a decent synth for what it is but it is based in part on the Juno 106, which isn't a synth I'd necessarily suggest for what you've told me you are after and the music I've heard you do.
    I missed this y'know.

Everything I'm hearing from the DeepMind suggests it will handle the pad and ambient side of things very well. But perhaps wont be the best choice for the analog sequenced mono-synth type of thing.

I need a couple of synths, basically.

Bye!

• octatonic said:
    Have you played one?

I missed this y'know.

Everything I'm hearing from the DeepMind suggests it will handle the pad and ambient side of things very well. But perhaps wont be the best choice for the analog sequenced mono-synth type of thing.

I've just sold off my DM12 so thought I'd pop in some thoughts. It's incredible for ambient and soundscape work - the modulation matrix and SEQ CTRL alone can create self-evolving soundscapes without much effort and that's without delving into the ridiculous FX section and routings. The pads are great, as you might expect from the Juno ancestry, and it does all the usual analog squelches pretty well too.

I got rid of mine because I'm a pretty basic live player with no need for sequencing or all the crazy routing. I actually found it harder to do some of the things I wanted than it strictly should have been and although I found a lot of useful shortcuts, I would quickly forget them between sessions and have to spend precious time getting back into the flow. In the end I've picked up a Sledge Black from @horse just yesterday and have been digging into it pretty hard since (not that there's a huge amount to dig into beyond the front panel). The workflow is a lot more suited to my process!
    octatonic said:
    Have you played one?

I missed this y'know.

I've just sold off my DM12 so thought I'd pop in some thoughts. It's incredible for ambient and soundscape work - the modulation matrix and SEQ CTRL alone can create self-evolving soundscapes without much effort and that's without delving into the ridiculous FX section and routings. The pads are great, as you might expect from the Juno ancestry, and it does all the usual analog squelches pretty well too.

I got rid of mine because I'm a pretty basic live player with no need for sequencing or all the crazy routing. I actually found it harder to do some of the things I wanted than it strictly should have been and although I found a lot of useful shortcuts, I would quickly forget them between sessions and have to spend precious time getting back into the flow. In the end I've picked up a Sledge Black from @horse just yesterday and have been digging into it pretty hard since (not that there's a huge amount to dig into beyond the front panel). The workflow is a lot more suited to my process!
     Glad it seems to be working out well for you. It's very immediate I think, and I think it's sound is quite 'present' - more so than the Blofeld which shares the same engine in my view. It obviously misses the mod matrix, but covers a fair amount of ground for standard synth tones reliably.

I need all the synths, basically.
     True
  • Hehehe :)

I did some research last night. Here's what I am interested in thus far...

- Arturia Keystep Pro
    - Behringer Model D
    - Behringer Pro-1
    - Modal Argon8
    - Korg Minilogue XD

Bye!

• I was synth searching before Christmas. My head was exploding and I ended up buying a used Sonicware ELZ_1. Typically I haven't picked it up much and it probably has too much going on for me to get to grips with. Also I'm not a keyboard player but the button keys aren't great ergonomically. Still, it was £300 off eBay and is quite a bit of fun.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    edited February 2020
    I was synth searching before Christmas. My head was exploding and I ended up buying a used Sonicware ELZ_1. Typically I haven't picked it up much and it probably has too much going on for me to get to grips with. Also I'm not a keyboard player but the button keys aren't great ergonomically. Still, it was £300 off eBay and is quite a bit of fun.
    I have been waiting for a 300 one! Everyone else is trying to sell them for close to new:/  can I have first dibs please if you decide to sell? 

@WiresDreamDisasters I had the sledge for years, one of the best hands on synths I have played the fx are surprisingly good as well,

I have just bought the new behringer arp odyssey, now that is worth every penny, mind truly blown 
  • I was synth searching before Christmas. My head was exploding and I ended up buying a used Sonicware ELZ_1. Typically I haven't picked it up much and it probably has too much going on for me to get to grips with. Also I'm not a keyboard player but the button keys aren't great ergonomically. Still, it was £300 off eBay and is quite a bit of fun.
    I have been waiting for a 300 one! Everyone else is trying to sell them for close to new:/  can I have first dibs please if you decide to sell? 

@WiresDreamDisasters I had the sledge for years, one of the best hands on synths I have played the fx are surprisingly good as well,

I have just bought the new behringer arp odyssey, now that is worth every penny, mind truly blown 
    Well I was toying with the idea of buying the chiptune performance synth Sonicware are crowd funding at the moment, as actually I'm more into the idea of twiddling, making farting noises over and over, etc. Although did you know - they have a package of the ELZ_1 + the chiptune synth (LIVEN 8bit warps) for 60k Yen, which is apparently around £424 at the moment:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sonicware/liven-8bit-warps-8bit-wave-memory-synthesizer-8
  • @fields5069 now that does look cool! How'ver I'd never do a kick starter, as knowing me my tastes will change before it gets the go ahead :D  I'll fins an elz they do come up 
  • @fields5069 now that does look cool! How'ver I'd never do a kick starter, as knowing me my tastes will change before it gets the go ahead :D  I'll fins an elz they do come up 
    Fair enough. The ELZ_1 ships immediately, it’s just the other synth which ships in June. 

- Arturia Keystep Pro
    - Behringer Model D
    - Behringer Pro-1
    - Modal Argon8
    - Korg Minilogue XD
    I was set on a Minilogue XD - was trying to work out how I would mount it as its too long really for my space.   While I was shifting stuff and measuring I saw the Argon8 Module announcement.  Checked the size, and Pre-ordered one there and then.  Ships end Feb - or possibly into March depending when China gets back to work. 

- Arturia Keystep Pro
    - Behringer Model D
    - Behringer Pro-1
    - Modal Argon8
    - Korg Minilogue XD
    I was set on a Minilogue XD - was trying to work out how I would mount it as its too long really for my space.   While I was shifting stuff and measuring I saw the Argon8 Module announcement.  Checked the size, and Pre-ordered one there and then.  Ships end Feb - or possibly into March depending when China gets back to work. 
    huuuhhhhhhh... interesting... please post a review when you get it Paul!

Bye!

• Bezzie Model D incoming.

Bye!

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    Bezzie Model D incoming.

I have one.  It's glorious.  I intend adding the K2, Pro 1 to it.  But now they've released the Cat and the Wasp too I feel like it might be a bigger order.
  • I have just bought the behringer odyssey..... Wow its good! 
  • Well boo... Model D not incoming after all. Maybe next week instead!

Bye!