Squier Surf Model - Lipstick Pick Ups

What's Hot
SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
edited February 2020 in Guitar

A number of years ago Squier released a Strat in Daphne blue(?) and red.

They were fitted with a pearloid scratchplate and lipstick pick ups.

Does anyone remember this? If so what was the official model name, I am trying to do an ebay search as I would like one.

Thank you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It was part of the Vintage Modified series, but I can’t remember the exact name - sorry!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice looking guitar. I wonder what it sounds like.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    There's one on ebay at the moment
  • I played one a few years ago. It played fine for the money, and the pickups were okay, but not really any different than regular Strat pickups. Overall an enjoyable guitar, but I preferred the Simon Neil Squier CV which I also tried that day.
    If you can't find a Surf Strat that you like, consider putting a set of the alnico Artec lipstick pickups in a Strat that you do like  (which is what I ended up doing). I suspect the pickups in the Squier are the Artec ones - they certainly sound very very similar, and you can get them quite cheaply - plus they fit in a regular Strat pickguard. I had a set but sold them on here a couple of years ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Thanks for the help guys!

Love the look of the one on ebay at the moment, but collection only from Lancashire doubles the price.

• I played one a few years ago. It played fine for the money, and the pickups were okay, but not really any different than regular Strat pickups. Overall an enjoyable guitar, but I preferred the Simon Neil Squier CV which I also tried that day.
    If you can't find a Surf Strat that you like, consider putting a set of the alnico Artec lipstick pickups in a Strat that you do like  (which is what I ended up doing). I suspect the pickups in the Squier are the Artec ones - they certainly sound very very similar, and you can get them quite cheaply - plus they fit in a regular Strat pickguard. I had a set but sold them on here a couple of years ago.

I didn't know about the Artec Lipstick pickups, they are 7.5k output with A5 magnets whilst real Dano/Lipstick ones are around 3-4k with A6 magnets.  So the reason why they sound more like Strat pickups as their inners are closer to Strat pickups than real Dano pickups.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    My nearest Fender dealer has a brand new old stock example in the tasteful Sonic Blue. He tried to offload it onto me with a discount deal. My immediate move would have been to remove the entire Duncan Designed mini Lipstick pickguard assembly and replace it with one of my own creations. (OCP Route 66, USA pots and switches.) 

earwighoney said:
    real Dano/Lipstick ones are around 3-4k with A6 magnets.
    Has anyone tried a trio of those in a Brian May Red Special circuit? 
    Be seeing you.
  • My nearest Fender dealer has a brand new old stock example in the tasteful Sonic Blue. He tried to offload it onto me with a discount deal. My immediate move would have been to remove the entire Duncan Designed mini Lipstick pickguard assembly and replace it with one of my own creations. (OCP Route 66, USA pots and switches.) 

earwighoney said:
    real Dano/Lipstick ones are around 3-4k with A6 magnets.
    Has anyone tried a trio of those in a Brian May Red Special circuit? 
    What dealer please
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    PM sent
    Be seeing you.
  • I didn't know about the Artec Lipstick pickups, they are 7.5k output with A5 magnets whilst real Dano/Lipstick ones are around 3-4k with A6 magnets.  So the reason why they sound more like Strat pickups as their inners are closer to Strat pickups than real Dano pickups.
    I agree. Whilst a regular Dano pickup may superficially look similar, the mini lipsticks which fit in a Strat are actually quite a bit smaller. I'd guess that the compromises required to manufacture the smaller pickup and hit Artec's price point ultimately mean they are more of an aesthetic success than a tonal one (assuming the Dano sound is your criteria for tonal success). I thought of them as a bright, chimney Strat pickup, and pleasant enough in their own right. However, the Artec's DCR is misleading - I'd guess they use 43 or 44 awg wire to get the required turns in the limited space, as to my ears the output was classic Strat rather than overwound.