Huge breakthrough...

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
...not only has the Mrs stopped giving me jobs every time I pick up the guitar, she actually said my playing was 'lovely' the other day.

This evening I was playing my acoustic in the bathroom while our son was in the the bath and she came in a said how lucky he was that his dad was playing guitar for him.while he had a bath and that none of his friends would be so lucky. He's 28.

In all seriousness, it makes a difference when the.people you live with encourage you to play. 

* He's not really 28, he's six but that's Stewart Lee joke and I couldn't resist. 

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Yes it is, and he is lucky.  My 10 month old daughter sits transfixed when I play, seems to like the heavier stuff too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    John_A said:
    Yes it is, and he is lucky.  My 10 month old daughter sits transfixed when I play, seems to like the heavier stuff too!
    I think it's a great thing to encourage kids to try music. When I grew up we never had any instruments in the house, they were something other people did but not for us That was the same for my parents when they grew up.

I made the decision to learn to play something pretty late in life, but mostly because I wanted to have instruments in the house so that the boys would both feel encouraged to have a go if they wanted to. It's certainly worked with the older one, he's loves it and is constantly learning something new. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's great that your wife is encouraging you -positive support makes a huge difference. 
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 226
    Congrats, I look forward to something similiar, probably in the far future. At the moment the most common complaints are "I can't listen to you play the same thing over and over again", "it's incredibly loud", or the more passive-aggressive doors closed and radio volume suddenly increased.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    John_A said:
    It’s alright John. He taste will mature as she grows older.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    John_A said:
    By 3 she should be onto Prog or you've made a terrible parenting error. 
  • Fuengi said:
    Roland said:
    John_A said:
    By 3 she should be onto Prog or you've made a terrible parenting error. 
    My 4 y o likes Opeth but can take or leave Tool.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • randellarandella Frets: 4166
    This is a lovely thread - good on you.

When I was a similar age to your son, I remember my dad playing along with a record and my mum saying to me - "hear how good your dad is, it sounds like he's coming out of the speakers."

Stuck with me for some reason, probably as it's a very nice thing to say!  

As an aside, when I finally picked up a guitar and learned a bit, I used to play in the bathroom (alone!) - perched on the edge of the bath - as dad had a Martin D-35 by then and it sounded fantastic in a tiled room.  I was a lucky boy learning on that thing.

TL;DR - dads and guitars for the win :)
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    drpbier said:
    . At the moment the most common complaints are "I can't listen to you play the same thing over and over again", "
    Don't worry about it. Many of us who have been at this lark for years are still playing the same stuff over and over. 

I mostly play fingerpicked acoustic blues, so I'm more guilty than most. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    "Here, son, play this, it will ruin your life"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4166
    roberty said:
    "Here, son, play this, it will ruin make your life much more expensive than it really needs to be"

• My son used to go totally berserk when I played. He had a springy wire chair/cot thing and would bounce so hard I'd have to stop!  :)

That was when he was one, he's three now and usually wants to play other stuff with me so won't let me even pick it up, but occasionally actually picks it up and brings it to me...that's nice. 

He has a wee crappie toy guitar (that is impossible to tune!) and often tries play along. You can see he gets a bit frustrated at times because he can't get it to sound very good, enjoys kidding on and pulling some shapes though. 

• LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    Make music something you bring to the family as opposed to something that takes you away from it and you’ve got it made :)
    Lewy said:
    Make music something you bring to the family as opposed to something that takes you away from it and you’ve got it made :)
    It's a long hard slog, but ultimately rewarding. That's a good lesson for any kid.