telepaul build finished

What's Hot

Comments

• Wow that's amazing work! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    Nice to see those pics Darren, good stuff. I'm getting sold on the pin/overhead setup more & more, just been to see my mate's ones.
    That board is psychedelic ... dead good.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    tFB Trader
    Corvus said:
    Nice to see those pics Darren, good stuff. I'm getting sold on the pin/overhead setup more & more, just been to see my mate's ones.
    That board is psychedelic ... dead good.
    I got a pin router after making my first Les Paul years ago, especially doing them vintage style, any other way is just a pita, I also like pickup routes on the neck plane 

The other thing is I like seeing what I'm doing, it's easier to stop any bad mistakes

Get one, you'll wish you did it years ago 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Could you show a few pics of your pin router set up Darren ?   really interested in how your set up works.  
    Your latest build is spurring me on with my first and now second build - great inspiration. 
    tFB Trader
    PeteC said:
    Could you show a few pics of your pin router set up Darren ?   really interested in how your set up works.  
    Your latest build is spurring me on with my first and now second build - great inspiration. 
    I'll try just bear in mind it's not the holy grail, I had to make compromises and learn how to get the best out of it, I'm up one flight of stairs so can only have a small one, I'd love a big charnwood or wadkin, no way that's getting in my place

Mine came with a Watford motor which was pretty useless tbh so I had an engineer friend make me a beautiful bottom plate to take a big elu or trend motor then it has to have the extension which isn't ideal so I had Mr engineering man make lots of different pins, different lengths and some oversize too to compensate for any runout, I've got it working well after the initial agro

You can get away with using a table router imo it's just carved tops are a pita and why I have the overhead, wouldn't go back to using anything else, I use a small hand router for tiny jobs if it's easier 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Looks like it'll be a beauty Darren. 

I'd love to see it person when it's done, I'll give you a shout sometime.
    tFB Trader
    I have a fretboard glued on a neck now, first I made up shims for the board to sit on then made flat with the overhead, I have a slight angle so jack up the body a tad route most of it off and finish with a scraper, the board now sits perfectly flat

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Next up fit dot inlays and side dots, this is tedious but we're done, I'll glue the inlay dots in tomorrow, I pin the board on the neck for locating when I use the hot hide glue, it's quick, glue, pin and wrap 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    We're back now the neck joint has been fully fitted and it's come out lovely, shims trimmed and necks been carved leaving just finish sanding etcI trim the neck with the overhead get it almost flush then it's chisel and sandpaper 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Now a bit of neck carving and this is what I use, for sanding I use some MDF with paper on it, a rubber squeegee and a radius block, the Japanese saw rasp is fantastic for getting a neck done fast, it takes material off quick

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Very nice indeed and great pics.  Those Shinto saw rasps are brilliant tools.  I think it’s my favourite tool in the workshop.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    This is routing the pickups, I always route them after the necks in, it means I can get them exactly where they're supposed to be and it all came out spot on, I did have to make a template for my carrier board first , I used my other goldtop template to route the middle part of the p90 pickup

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Next up get the fretboard finished, I sit the neck on a simple jig that I use to flat the fretboard before fretting and it really pays to do this, I've strung it up and it's had no fret work and plays great with a low action, I'll still level crown and polish but there's not much work to do

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    We're nearly done, it's strung up and so happy with how it turned out, it's playing lovely straight away, just body contouring and a bit of neck profile tweaking then I can finish it, it's 7.2lb now

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Played this this eve... absolutely banging!... well done... whoever gets this will be well happy!
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    Played this this eve... absolutely banging!... well done... whoever gets this will be well happy!
    Cheers Stuart, glad you like it, I do 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Things have moved on a fair bit, I moved the cutaway back sculpted the body and cutaway then sloped the body down to the heel, anything that makes it comfortable and easy playing
    I'm onto finishing now so I thought candy apple red body and burst the neck to show the flame maple, headstock will get the candy treatment, i really like this look

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    I wasn't expecting all that body contouring.  Very interesting...
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1029
    Hot damn - that is amazing - looking very nice indeed! :)
    edited March 2020 tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    I wasn't expecting all that body contouring.  Very interesting...
    Never mind interesting, it's more comfortable and practical, anyone can order with or without, this is my vision of a good modern les Paul, it's still got the neck and fret scale of a vintage guitar

Forgot to say I don't like how some LP are routed for better access, looks nasty to me, it's just a quick whack round with a router and no finesse 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom