Finding good 'non guitar' instrumentals to play on guitar

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
in Theory tFB Trader
Hope that heading makes sense - Looking to learning a host of instrumentals, that are essentially not your well known 'Apache' style guitar songs - To play them as a guitar solo piece - Even just a bit of fun and something different to play 

Starting of with this https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/the-noveltones/left-bank-two-tabs-2084583 - Well known as the tune on Vision On

Have also just learnt The Sailors Hornpipe Song - Believe Mike Oldfield did this - Plus the God Father theme tune - think Slash did a version of this

Herb Alpert - Spanish Flea

Found you can play it as it should be - then try an embellish it - ie think how Hendrix or J Beck might approach it

Also looked at the Planet Suite by Holst - The Hovis advert - essential a pentatonic melody - And have now made this into my Gary Moore 'Still Got The Blues' style demo song when doodling at the shop

So any good suggestions - Not looking for complex classical/jazz style arrangements - So still largely single note melodies
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Video game music, 100%.

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332

I can link thousands of these. The last one is a bit of a pisstake, but hey =)

• The keyboard solo in Highway Star is a good one to learn. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Purcell’s Didos Lament is interesting if you approach it in a JeffBeck Final Peace way
  • J S Bach wrote some good stuff - things such as his Partitas are single line. The Electric Guitar wasn't around then, so he had them played on the Flute, Violin, and Cello.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    The French National Anthem.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• (I thought the Hovis music was Dvořák's New World Symphony. Although if you mean the tune from Jupiter by Holst, I used to play that too.)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    J S Bach wrote some good stuff - things such as his Partitas are single line. The Electric Guitar wasn't around then, so he had them played on the Flute, Violin, and Cello.  ;)

Was going to say the same (Partitias and Sonatas for violin).  Mike Stern uses them as Etudes and for new tune inspiration.

Similarly Jimmy Bruno recommends Wolfhart Violin Etudes for sight reading and getting out of boxes, modes and scale patterns.

(Can manage an Every Good Boy... etc, but can't sight read to save my life)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    (I thought the Hovis music was Dvořák's New World Symphony. Although if you mean the tune from Jupiter by Holst, I used to play that too.)
    My error and yes it is Dvorak - Ta
  • Some movie and TV themes can be fun, Hawaii 5 0, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly(great hammer-pull practice), etc...

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 154
    The saxophone part in Baker Street - Foo fighters did a good cover of this one.
    tFB Trader
    Some movie and TV themes can be fun, Hawaii 5 0, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly(great hammer-pull practice), etc...
    I think that is more what I had in mind - Certainly 'well known' and catchy and but a medley together of various songs

Probably add the Benny Hill Theme to this - Possibly The Sting/The Entertainer

Looking for others
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    edited February 2020
    On his album "Spark and Echo" (av Spotify) Mark Lettieri plays a version of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears that reminds me of those old 50s/60s guitar instrumentals like Albatross etc.  Quite a few guitars layered so you'd have to simplify it for one guitar.  Mark's a monster player but most of this particular track isn't super flash stuff that Joe Average will never be able to play, most of it is well within the grasp of a good intermediate player. 

And it sounds great - in fact the whole album is pretty good, pretty safe and not ground-breaking in any way but if you like Blow by Blow and Wire era Beck this could be right up your street.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    tFB Trader
    On his album "Spark and Echo" (av Spotify) Mark Lettieri plays a version of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears that reminds me of those old 50s/60s guitar instrumentals like Albatross etc.  Quite a few guitars layered so you'd have to simplify it for one guitar.  Mark's a monster player but most of this particular track isn't super flash stuff that Joe Average will never be able to play, most of it is well within the grasp of a good intermediate player. 

And it sounds great - in fact the whole album is pretty good, pretty safe and not ground-breaking in any way but if you like Blow by Blow and Wire era Beck this could be right up your street.
    Will check it out - Thanks for the tip off
  • Couldn't remember this 17th Century Irish Harpist name yesterday. Turlough O'Carolan wrote some lovely pieces. Eric Roche used to do a nice version of one of O'Carolan's best known pieces "Si Beag Si Mor" (There's a transcription in Eric Roche's book on acoustic technique "The Acoustic Guitar Bible".
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    pink panther theme.  
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Magnificent 7
    Game of Thrones
    Robinson Crusoe
    Black Beauty

tFB Trader
    nickp said:
    pink panther theme.  
    I do that already in a nice sleazy way - great track
  • I've got a load of classical bits and bobs ....stuff like the things Paul Gilbert does etc. It doesn't have to be played at his speed though, sounds lovely and musical without that aspect of it! Shout if you want any. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Women of Ireland is a good one, ripped off by Sakamoto for the theme for Wuthering Heights but a nice under the fingers melody