The Guitar Show 29th Feb & 1st March 2020, New Bingley Hall, Birmingham

What's Hot

Comments

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1340
    Just got back after a great day. Really enjoyed JJ Rosa and Bernard Butler. It was funny watching quite a few 'older' gents walking out of JJ's set. 
    I hold my (balding) head in shame.. two minutes and I was out there :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    Also, a shout out to Rajani Amps - the first amp exhibitor in the history of The Guitar Show (in my direct experience, anyway) to say "Sorry, our mistake, we've not done this before" and turn it down when asked to.
    Actually really nice guys and quick learners and an amp product that should do really well on the jazz/blues gigging scene, hope they do well.

tFB Trader
    Thanks to all those who came to chat to us, nice to put names to faces and also see some of the guitars that Fretboard members have built.

30/30 was a godsend and most visitors were happy to try out the one amp we had connected to headphones and then come back later to try them out with a cab. Also had a good chat with Jeremy from Two notes, We will be seeing a lot more amps with built in IR simulation.

From my perspective it was great seeing so many UK amp brands on the show, I first attended the show in 2016 and I was surprised at the lack of UK "boutique" amp brands, I spend a lot of time supporting other amp builders so it is nice to see some making headway.

Thanks to @jason and his team for putting on a great show, Looking forward to next year, Chris (who was on the stand with me) has already said he wants to come back next year too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Another great show Jason. 

For anyone that came over, I apologise for my more quiet than usual/ grumpy demeanour. I'm sure Paul Hindmarsh look after everyone in his usual manner. Always great to meet new people and be reminded that I have met some of you before but completely forgot. You know who you are. ;-)

R

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• @Jason , thank you for knocking it out of the park, again.  I had a great time.  Sorry that I forgot to bring speakers.

How about bringing The Paul Stanley Guitar along next year?
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Great show @Jason, that pedal show and Phil X were amazing. Great to chat to a few folk and generally perv at great gear. Cheers to the @Modulus_Amps amps guys Mike and another fella who's name escapes me right now. Listen to me rave about one of his cabinets rather than the amp, even though the amp was also amazing! Cheers

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

tFB Trader
    Boromedic said:
    Great show @Jason, that pedal show and Phil X were amazing. Great to chat to a few folk and generally perv at great gear. Cheers to the @Modulus_Amps amps guys Mike and another fella who's name escapes me right now. Listen to me rave about one of his cabinets rather than the amp, even though the amp was also amazing! Cheers

Ah, I didn't know you were a FB member, Thanks nice meeting you too!
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Thank you everyone that came along, its nice to have no complaints about the noise for a change :)

It looks like the attendance was up 2.5-3% YOY, which is good news and I thought the live stage performances were ace.

I've had some really good feedback from exhibitors, I must be over 50% sold for 2021 already and an email from Phil X, that is just  DOOOOOOOODE, which made me smile

Cheers

J
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    Excellent show from a D'Addario and personal point of view.
    The best Guitar Show I've attended yet.

• JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Adji said:
    Excellent show from a D'Addario and personal point of view.
    The best Guitar Show I've attended yet.

Thank you :)

The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
    Boromedic said:

Cheers dude, sorry I should have said :) 

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    I dunno. I have a complaint about the noise. Every time i plugged into an amp, some godawful sound came out. Happens at home too...

But other than that, absolutely top weekend! Came back with some new gear, feedback on the guitar and bass i left on tfb stand was good, chatted to some truly nice folk and left with an unhealthy desire for some other gear!
    Time to book the Holiday Inn, Great Barr for next year.

Can also recommend the Zen Thai restaurant. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Boromedic said:
    Boromedic said:

You should have worn theFretBoard sticker, available from our stand
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    Boromedic said:
    Boromedic said:

LOL... I didn't get a sticker either, Though my name was across my tee shirt
    Roland said:
    Boromedic said:
    Boromedic said:

I did chat to Mr Bridgehouse as apparently someone else was off eating dinner (how dare he! ;) ), I didn't realise there were stickers to be had!

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    TTony said:
    Just back ...

Good to have a quick chat with @RiftAmps ;; ... @Jalapeno; all your fault 

De nada ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14031
    tFB Trader
    Kalimna said:
    I dunno. I have a complaint about the noise. Every time i plugged into an amp, some godawful sound came out. Happens at home too...

Sounds like you have the same set-up as me
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14031
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    Boromedic said:
    I found the stickers so useful - I remember some names/faces from this and other shows in the past - But nice to put a name to faces - That way it looks like more FB guys about as well
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader

fandango said:

To the one who had some problems with buzz, I hope the presence of your missus calmed you down a bit. You know who you are and it was great to catch up with you again. Keep up the good work.

Again, I don't think Adrian Thorpe will mind you saying his name. He's not the Candyman.

Seriously...do you get a kick out of being so cryptic? Comes across a bit weird to be honest.
    Well, its a difficult one isn't it,  after the volume of last year we spent a great deal of time money and effort moving to a headphone setup that would give us the best tone for our pedals possible....

despite this, the venue (well the power we were connected to) had some issue and there was a load of dirt on the line that was causing everything to sound awful. Jason did his best to mitigate it on Saturday and got it FULLY  resolved for Sunday and i can't thank him and his team enough for that.

As for me being stressed, yeah absolutely i was.. we work hard to try and make pedals as good as they can be, i want customers (potential or otherwise) to hear that. When something like this happens and it detracts from what I see as the customer experience then  i guess i wear my heart on my sleeve and obvious fury on my face.

It subsided though as the issue got solved and I have to say, we had the best show we have ever had at this YAMM show. Customers seemed to dig what we were doing, new customers came on board, old ones came to say hello and friends in the industry were just as awesome as ever......  thanks to one and all who came by to say hi, and an especially awesome thanks to those who sampled our wears on the REDBEARD stand, this was REDBEARD EFFECTS first show and it went really well too.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    ThorpyFX said:

fandango said:

To the one who had some problems with buzz, I hope the presence of your missus calmed you down a bit. You know who you are and it was great to catch up with you again. Keep up the good work.

Again, I don't think Adrian Thorpe will mind you saying his name. He's not the Candyman.

Seriously...do you get a kick out of being so cryptic? Comes across a bit weird to be honest.
    Well, its a difficult one isn't it,  after the volume of last year we spent a great deal of time money and effort moving to a headphone setup that would give us the best tone for our pedals possible....

despite this, the venue (well the power we were connected to) had some issue and there was a load of dirt on the line that was causing everything to sound awful. Jason did his best to mitigate it on Saturday and got it FULLY  resolved for Sunday and i can't thank him and his team enough for that.

As for me being stressed, yeah absolutely i was.. we work hard to try and make pedals as good as they can be, i want customers (potential or otherwise) to hear that. When something like this happens and it detracts from what I see as the customer experience then  i guess i wear my heart on my sleeve and obvious fury on my face.

It subsided though as the issue got solved and I have to say, we had the best show we have ever had at this YAMM show. Customers seemed to dig what we were doing, new customers came on board, old ones came to say hello and friends in the industry were just as awesome as ever......  thanks to one and all who came by to say hi, and an especially awesome thanks to those who sampled our wears on the REDBEARD stand, this was REDBEARD EFFECTS first show and it went really well too.

I'm not saying this just to make you feel better but when playing through your boards, I didn't notice the noise even though I'd been warned about it before putting the headphones on. I was listening for the range/sweep of the controls, etc, rather than how quiet the pedals were. Maybe that would be different for someone new to your stuff but FWIW I don't think it would be a massive deal to many.

I haven't seen a single comment about the buzz noise outside this thread. In relation to the show, I've only seen high praise for your stuff. Seems your stand went down really well.

That said, I know how much it must've annoyed you. Most of us know how fastidious you are about sound quality. The headphones were a great idea!