Atkin Guitar Comparison

What's Hot
Just found these videos which showcases a few of the models and comparing them in different situations.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414

I played some of the Atkins at the Guitar Show on Saturday.  I actually went back to the stand at about 4 in the afternoon when it had quietened down a bit.

The Essential D was my favourite.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    So main takeaway is "Every Atkin sounds amazing", followed by "their D28 sounds even better than my HD28". Fuck!

Would love to see a 00-37 recorded in similarly high quality as I can see one of those in my future. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    I've liked every Atkin I've ever played. And every Brook. And every Huss & Dalton. Some a bit more than others. I can't say that for Martins or Taylors or (sob) Lowdens. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414

I'm thinking of selling my Martin to fund an Atkin.  I think I've come to prefer mahogany back and sides to rosewood in recent years.

I think I'll try a few others though before making that kind of commitment.

• So main takeaway is "Every Atkin sounds amazing", followed by "their D28 sounds even better than my HD28". Fuck!

Would love to see a 00-37 recorded in similarly high quality as I can see one of those in my future. 
    It’s a shame that both the OM’s where rosewood b&s too? Or have I got that wrong. Yeah 00 would be great 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Some of the strumming on those videos sounds so rich, it's almost like a 12 string. Really nice, and not too bright. I've got to try one soon. Nice to buy British too. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Lodious said:
    Some of the strumming on those videos sounds so rich, it's almost like a 12 string. Really nice, and not too bright. I've got to try one soon. Nice to buy British too. 
    I think that is partly down to them being recorded really quite exquisitely well. But the guitars must have sounded bloody good in the room for that to be the end result
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    crunchman said:

I played some of the Atkins at the Guitar Show on Saturday.  I actually went back to the stand at about 4 in the afternoon when it had quietened down a bit.

The Essential D was my favourite.

I played a few Atkins in Coda early January and came to the same conclusion so I bought one.
    Only taken it out a couple of times to rehearsals or gigs, the reaction from other none guitarist musicians in particular is very positive.
    Blown away by the sound.
  • she is bloody good!

Just got this back from a dealer who sell both Atkin and pre war guitars in Germany.... I ask what they though about the two.

Let me start by saying that the are both high quality vintage inspired guitars. Atkin labels itself vintage inspired, Pre War says they build replica’s of vintage instruments.

If you are looking for a guitar with a serious vintage vibe, feel and looks Atkin could very well be your choice. The guitars are light weight, very resonant and have a played in feel and a subtle aged appearance.

If you are after true vintage tone Pre War may be more your thing. They hunt for that woody somewhat dried out vintage tone. And they nail it. Also the offer some more variations on the aging. You can choose the distress level raging from 1 to 4.

A Pre War OOO 18 would cost €5799, - including VAT.

Building time presently is over 18 months. But we have building slots and I have some left for oktober this year

We also have a Atking OOO in stock. And that is priced at €3499,-
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 227
    How are the necks on the 00037 slim profile/Chunky how comparable to martins profiles are they also?  Thanks
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 451
    I absolutely love my LG47A
  • Th4fonz said:
    How are the necks on the 00037 slim profile/Chunky how comparable to martins profiles are they also?  Thanks
    I have played many different Atkins and they have all had slim and narrow necks. Apart from that, they sound excellent and are good value.