New Jimmie Vaughan album

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    I'm currently reading Texas Flood: The Inside Story of Stevie Ray Vaughan. Mentioning it here because it is actually very informative about Jimmie Vaughan too (and is also a pretty decent read).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    JDE said:
    AlexO said:
    Same, I struggle getting into SRV... I feel like I'm the only one not getting it when I listen.

I think it’s predominantly the hats that put me off him, tbf. 
    The rest of his wardrobe was somewhat questionable as well, tbh. :o
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    Meh, he was a paragon of good taste by 80's standards
  • randellarandella Frets: 4086
    Mickeyji said:
    JDE said:
    AlexO said:
    Same, I struggle getting into SRV... I feel like I'm the only one not getting it when I listen.

I think it’s predominantly the hats that put me off him, tbf. 
    The rest of his wardrobe was somewhat questionable as well, tbh. :o
    “Stevie uses guitars by Fender, amplifiers by Dumble, and his outfit was styled by Crown Royal whiskey and cocaine.”

Will check out the new Jimmie record. Lots of love for both brothers. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    AlexO said:
    JDE said:
    Lewy said:
    Love the sound, love his instantly recognisable playing, thought the lyrics were annoyingly inane...just do an instrumental if that’s the best you can do....
    It’s a cover. Etta James. 

I like it. Always preferred Jimmie to Stevie, not that comparing them is a worthwhile pursuit. 

Same here. Much prefer Jimmie to Stevie Ray. I find the SRV's post Texas Flood albums pretty unlistenable to be honest. Like the wardrobe they were fuelled by Crown Royal and cocaine.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    JDE said:
    Lewy said:
    Love the sound, love his instantly recognisable playing, thought the lyrics were annoyingly inane...just do an instrumental if that’s the best you can do....
    It’s a cover. Etta James. 

I like it. Always preferred Jimmie to Stevie, not that comparing them is a worthwhile pursuit. 
    Oh nooo look what you've done! Cute endless comparisons and people getting all steamed up ;)
  • randellarandella Frets: 4086
    edited March 2020
    HAL9000 said:
    Same here. Much prefer Jimmie to Stevie Ray. I find the SRV's post Texas Flood albums pretty unlistenable to be honest. Like the wardrobe they were fuelled by Crown Royal and cocaine.
    Most of them were to be fair, but a couple were certainly overfuelled - he'd be the first to admit that Live... Alive wasn't too great as a consequence.  In Step, though, is a superb record - was his comeback.  It's between that, Texas Flood, and the Live at the El Mocambo film for me.

Jimmie's probably been a bit more consistent, that's true.

Still like 'em both.  It was nice to see Jimmie get involved with the Sonic Highways stuff that Grohl did with Foo Fighters - he (Jimmie) came off as very likeable in those films, and whenever else he's been interviewed come to that.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Genuinely not wishing to rain on anybody's parade, imo Jimmie has/d nothing on Stevie.

I know he is hugely respected, but for me there's nothing there and I'm baffled what others hear in his playing, there's no energy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    Hate to do the usual thing and say 'you just don't get Jimmie Vaughan', but.....
  • clarkefan said:
    Genuinely not wishing to rain on anybody's parade, imo Jimmie has/d nothing on Stevie.

I know he is hugely respected, but for me there's nothing there and I'm baffled what others hear in his playing, there's no energy.
    There is energy but it’s controlled, measured, never wasted and effective when deployed. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4124
    clarkefan said:

Just out of interest, do you listen to much in the way of Lightnin’ Hopkins, Guitar Slim, T Bone Walker, Howlin Wolf etc? Most people who love JV do so because the echoes of those originators come through so strongly in his playing. If you’re not into the older stuff I could see why you wouldn’t necessarily be into what he does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I really like this album, great raw 60’s vibe.