purple rain sound.

What's Hot
darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
Read loads of stuff online for the purple rain clean sound.
Original Dimenson C by Boss seems to be the closest to "Fact" I can find.
I can see the Boss Waza Dimenson C.

I've got tons of pedals, boss original CE2, Way huge Hippo Chorus, I can play around, but it's just "too" chorusy, anything I can do to get closer put something before / after them to get it in the ball park, or do I just shut up and buy the Wazza Dimenson C.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited March 2020
    If you don't need stereo, isn't there a cheap TC Electronic version of the ce2?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Behringer CC300 Chorus Space C - Dimension C copy.

... but it appears to be discontinued and almost as rare as the Boss, if at least a lot cheaper.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    TC Electronic 3rd Dimension?
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Flanger works well - with a subtle programming. Delay and reverb are a must. And some 'light' overdrive. That'll get you close.
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
    edited March 2020
    I’ve heard it was a Boss BF2 set to be more ‘Chorusy’ - don’t remember Prince ever having a chorus on his board, just in the studio, and Purple Rain album version is a live recording.

• i made a patch on my zoom g3 for this song, i think its just flanger, delay and reverb and then a high gain guvnor for the solo
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    For those of us who saw Mick Taylor at the Brum show in Feb he used the Tri Chorus based Neunaber Inspire, only about £250...did sound good though...

The TC 3rd Dimension is the rebuilt version of the Behringer which in turn is heavily based on the Dimension C. 

Isn't the chorussed part on Purple Rain played by Wendy Melvoin rather than Prince? Quick Google didn't bring up much beyond her modded Rickenbacker.

Some suggestion the chorus was a Boss VB2, listening to demos of the VB2W and then back to Purple Rain I think that's plausible. The demos tend to illustrate the slightly crazy side of it but as the knobs pass through subtle I think it's there.

Watching someone on YouTube doing a sounds like uses a Boss CH1. 

Anyway, it's something that makes a wobble.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2335
    Purple Rain was recorded live in a concert in August 1983 and the released song was a cut up of the live version with added
     orchestration etc.

This site has a couple of links about the background.
    https://www.anyonecanplayguitar.co.uk/purple-rain/ 

The live footage is here:
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=purple+rian+1983&docid=608004189993699167&mid=AC40343EE5A0B5B411D7AC40343EE5A0B5B411D7&view=detail&FORM=VIRE 

The original pink dimension chorus pedal came out a couple of years after that I think.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    The original Dimension unit was a Roland Rack. 
    Be seeing you.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    jdbwales said:
    I’ve heard it was a Boss BF2 set to be more ‘Chorusy’ - don’t remember Prince ever having a chorus on his board, just in the studio, and Purple Rain album version is a live recording.

Wendy Melvoin played the clean part of Purple Rain on a blue Rickenbacker that thas was either modified or was some kind of copy.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    jdbwales said:

Wendy Melvoin played the clean part of Purple Rain on a blue Rickenbacker that thas was either modified or was some kind of copy.
    Ricky but had the body stuffed and also fitted with G and L pickups. 

From about 1:10. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Definitely sounds more like a flanger than a chorus to me.  
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2335
    Boss BF-2 maybe?

It is the right colour anyway...

Prince used the BF-2.
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    Line6 M5 has a dimension model on it too - plus all the other fx - it'll output in stereo too unlike the TC electronic which is mono only - v good though
  • Roland Jazz Chorus amp?
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited March 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2UP2amAJx0

is this near enough for you ? 

The TC Corona Chorus has a number of Dimension C toneprints - which possibly could be modded further to get nearer to this ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    TC Corona (ooh that word) or get a Zoom MS-70 CDR, which is my standard response to most FX things but it has a Dimension in it and a range of chorus pedals, a Flanger, too and can be had used for £50. You could get your chorus/flanger, reverb delay and even compression all into one preset.
  • AlexC said:
    Flanger works well - with a subtle programming. Delay and reverb are a must. And some 'light' overdrive. That'll get you close.
    Youre forgetting a little bit of compression, touch of vibe, a hint of phaser, a little wobble from tremolo and a Korg Miku..   that will get you close enough...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    edited March 2020
    JMP220478 said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2UP2amAJx0

is this near enough for you ? 

The TC Corona Chorus has a number of Dimension C toneprints - which possibly could be modded further to get nearer to this ...
    this was really good, thank you

time to suck it up and see if a Waza Dimension C appears in the classifieds or see if peach can get one in.

• Kebabkid said:
    TC Corona (ooh that word) or get a Zoom MS-70 CDR, which is my standard response to most FX things but it has a Dimension in it and a range of chorus pedals, a Flanger, too and can be had used for £50. You could get your chorus/flanger, reverb delay and even compression all into one preset.
    Such a great pedal. I want one of the 50s to use for amp Sims etc. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey