Versatile Fuzzes - what do people like? Thorpy FX Veteran content inside

What's Hot

Evening all. I've had the ThorpyFX Veteran for a while now, and it strikes me as a pretty versatile fuzz, with the Smooth and Bias controls and the boost in front making it possible to dial in a whole range of stuff from your more typical aggressive tones to smoother tones that I wouldn't necessarily associate with a fuzz pedal..

So what do you like?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    I've had a fuzz factory for 20 years. It's the most versatile fuzz ive tried. It's very difficult to use at first but after the first 10 years you get used to it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Is that silicon or geranium Veteran? Cheers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    I too have a Veteran (Si version) and concur that it is bloody brilliant and extremely versatile. At first I never really used the treble boost side, just wasn't my thing but pairing it with the fuzz and using both together is bloody superb. I stack it into a Duellist and its cutting but fuzzy and thick at the same time. 

I also have a Ge Kingtone Mini Fuzz for shits and giggles, it does something completely different to the Vet, between them I have all my bases covered!
    How very rock and roll
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    edited May 2020
    Magnetic Effects Black Moon here. Germanium goodness, but with extra control and versatility. 'Vintage modified' I guess. Not that I really use fuzzfaces anymore though tbh. I do fancy trying a tonebender-type though.
  • I'm currently falling in love with fuzz currently. First fuzz pedal was the Suhr Rufus reloaded octive fuzz. Only chose this one as it was nearby and a fair price. Wow amazing with a strat and the octive is great fun. I think it's based on a fuzzface. 

Then I got the Thorpyfx Veteran Si. Really a wonderfully veritable pedal with the built-in rangemaster boost which sounds great by itself into an amp on the edge of breakup. 

Recently I've picked up a Digitech Jimi Hendrix experience pedal which has digital fuzz and it's fun but not quite the same tone as the pedals above. 

I have another fuzz on the way. Details to follow. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    Veteran Si is superb. I also have a Field Marshal which is kind of mind-blowing for different reasons. I love Ge and have a MJM London Fuzz (which may be for sale sometime soonish) and a swarm of other fuzzes including a completely bonkers noise making Beetronics Swarm (which may be for sale too if I decide I need more cash....)
  • BDJohnstonBDJohnston Frets: 18
    edited September 2020
    One of the more versatile I've come across is the Nemesis+ by DPFX (Greece).  I'm doing a review, but below is a demo.  It's long at 10-min, since there's so much to it... but if you skip to the 6-min mark I do some knob tweaking and then use an expression pedal for some freaky stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUAiXDz8XU0&feature=youtu.be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUAiXDz8XU0&feature=youtu.be

• Got hold of a Dod Carcosa last week. Very versatile, and 'After' and 'High-cut' control gives a wide range of sounds, from low end doomy to more cutting velcro type sounds. The low gain sounds are also impressive. Great fuzz.  
  • fatherchewielewiefatherchewielewie Frets: 46
    edited February 2021
    Skreddy LMMD and Dr Scientist FD v2.
  • Mojo Hand FX Zephyr

If you can find one!
    Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    edited January 2022
    I have a White Atom and a King Tone mini Ge. I've had a Fuzz Factory in the past and I do think they're amazing but I have everything covered with the two above...

I have a very useable Russian Muff style made by JAM Effects....the Red Muck v2. It's for sale in the classifieds btw. 
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    @Zoolooter it was the silicon! 

I've more recently settled on a Pete Cornish NG2, which if nothing else is expensive enough that you'll never be able to justify having another fuzz lol..

@merlin I also had a fuzz factory but I found there was quite a lot of settings that were pretty.....experimental...? And not terribly useful? 

The Kingtone stuff is great
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    Love the Veteran Si, but really can’t fit it on my board. Currently for sale in the classifieds here. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    I’ve had the both the SI & GE Veteran (twice) but currently only have the GE #51…It’s very old school and I’ve heard people say they’d like more aggression. 

It’s so 3D & majestic, and has great clarity…but it’s not until you A/B it with something else that you really appreciate it. 

The sound reminds me of Jeff Beck or Beano driven tone, Early ZZ top or Led Zep….

• I really love the Magnetic Effects White Atom. It's got an awesome feature which can dial down the internal voltage to give a nasty spitty effect to the sound. That's nasty on a good way.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    The FZ-1W is very versatile provided you don't want any super crazy, spitty feedback stuff. It just has a big range of easy to dial in classic fuzz sounds.

The FZ-2 is by contrast completely bonkers, but versatile in the sense that it has two kinds of doomy, spitting insanity and also a really flexible clean boost.