controlling a silver jubilee for clean and driven sounds

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    gjonesy said:
    there was a pedal that was designed to back off an overdriven amp, I think it was Paul Gilbert sig - underdrive or detox or something
    Detox by Homebrew

The Underdrive was a Mad Professor pedal.

Can be done with any good EQ pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    edited April 2020
    Does the boss EQ 200 looks a good bet as you can lower the pre amp gain and boost the effects loop at the same time?

The best clean tone I can get from mine is on the lead channel with the guitar volume almost off and a big clean boost in the loop.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    That’s why I suggested the LS-2 :). That way you get the unaltered lead sound, but bypass the amp’s overdrive section completely for the clean. The LS-2 will provide the level control for the loop.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry I’d not looked at that as much as I should have done.
    now I’m torn between buying the EQ200 which I don’t really need right now as I’m stuck at home and the LS2 which I also don’t really need right now. :)
    edited April 2020
    Sorry I’d not looked at that as much as I should have done.
    now I’m torn between buying the EQ200 which I don’t really need right now as I’m stuck at home and the LS2 which I also don’t really need right now.
    Both of them are hugely useful pedals, not just for this. Buy used, then if you later find you don't need it, sell at little or no loss.

If you can't find a second hand EQ200, there's the older EQ-20. There are two in the shop I work for, but unfortunately they're closed at the moment...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/LS-2_e05.pdf

So if I get an LS2, jumper the A loop and lower the volume and connect the B loop to my fx loop and boost the volume, bypass is my lead tone, stepping on it drops my pre-amp gain and boosts in the loop to raise up the overall volume, giving me a clean tone at the right volume.

and it’s quite cheap.

I think I’ll do that for now!

thanks

So if I get an LS2, jumper the A loop and lower the volume and connect the B loop to my fx loop and boost the volume, bypass is my lead tone, stepping on it drops my pre-amp gain and boosts in the loop to raise up the overall volume, giving me a clean tone at the right volume.
    You don't need to jumper the A loop, the pedal does that internally when there's nothing in the jacks.

Connect the guitar to the pedal input, the B send to the amp's input, the B return to the amp's FX send, and the pedal's output to the amp's FX return. Select A-B on the Mode, not bypass. Essentially you're then running the amp's overdrive section as a "pedal" in the B loop. I would set the B loop level to the centre - that way it won't affect the range of the controls on the amp. The A level should then give you enough boost to match the amp's volume.

You can then also run different effects in the loops - if for example you only want chorus or reverb on your clean sound not the overdrive, just put the chorus/reverb pedal in the A loop.

I should probably mention that I've never actually done it on a Jubilee :). Just on a couple of other amps with this problem - but I'm sure it will work.

• Great. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Just ordered one
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    In an act of great heresy I used to gig with one, using a POD 2.0 into the effect return. Sounded epic... that's my useless piece of information for the day.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 413
    I recall Paul GIlbert coming up with the Detox EQ pedal to overcome the very same issue. https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/homebrew-electronics-detox-eq-603398
    edited April 2020
    I had the detox EQ. It was all too quiet after using it. 
    However that was with an amp with no effects loop
  • columbo2columbo2 Frets: 4
    Great. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Just ordered one
    Hey all,
    I'm eagerly awaiting the lovely people at Hermes to drop me a Mini Jubilee, and from what I have read, I'm anticipating similar issues with clean / dirt balance... which might be a problem if I ever get to play a gig again!!

musteatbrain... how did the LS2 solution work out for you?  I'm not sure I've 100% understood.  Are you bypassing the preamp completely for clean, or just dropping the level in front, then boosting again in the loop?
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    As mentioned EQ works. Try an Underdrive (Mad Professor). It works great for this application (to clean up).
    I just had a little play using my HX Stomp in the configuration suggested for the LS2, using it to control my Marshall SV20... Sh*t that is cool!  Total game changer for that amp!  It means I can dime it to its sweet spot and add a clean channel with a pre-cut & post-boost all assigned to one switch   Also, I can use the master volume knob in the HX as a MV for the amp for home use.  Why didn't I think of this before!?
    edited June 2020
    @columbo2 the LS2 is a great pedal and very, very useful in many situations and with the Jubilee it sounded ok used to bypass the pre-amp as ICBM suggested.

I’ve stopped using it that way though as I stumbled on a setup I like more.

It can’t be used to lower the signal going in to the preamp whilst boosting in the loop unfortunately.

I now usually have a very simple arrangement:

P between 4 and 6 based on the guitar
    B 8.5 
    M 6
    T between 2 and 4 based on the guitar
    G 6

Volume, as much as I can get away with at home. Fortunately this can be pretty loud.

Clean channel sometimes gets a clean boost in the loop.
    Lead channel gets a juansolo modded tubescreamer.
    gain at noon, volume at 3 o’clock tone at 9 o’clock.
    This makes a similar sound to the gain of the amp being on 8 but it feedsback a little sooner, with the compromise of a little hiss.

I tend to use single coils on the clean channel and humbuckers for the lead. I almost never use the rhythm clip.

this is the most balanced setup I can find with my setup of guitars and speakers.

I’m writing this in so much detail as a reminder to myself as well, because my one year old loves to set the dials on it.

The settings I use are actually based from a video on how John Frusciante uses his on the clean channel.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Still waiting for the postie on my Jubilee.  The LS-2 approach is definately a keeper with my wee plexi.  I can't wait to try those settings!