Izotope Spire - A Review

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
edited April 2020 in Gear Reviews
I haven't really dabbled in DAWs, software, plugins etc so my experience is limited. Bear that in mind for this review, as I usually submit to people like @octatonic et al who have way more working knowledge and valuable insight.

Anyway, Id literally never heard of the Spire till I saw Dan mention it on TPS (see below - starts about 6.35).

What is the Spire ?

It is a portable 8-track recorder, with a built in mic and connects to your phone/iPad via an app. 

It is SO easy to use, and indeed within an hour I had laid down a chorus/verse of 2 potential new songs. It has some built in FX which really help to minimise noise into your recording. You can simply mix down, save, store and export. It has a 4 hour battery life (I think) and sounds wonderful through headphones.

So, lets assume that Im gonna record a vocal and guitar at the same time, to sketch some ideas.
Switch on. Press the 'soundcheck' button which adjusts the levels that you want.

Select FX - say a reverb.

Press record.

Bingo.

Then, select the Mix in the software (phone/iPad) and mix down and pan. It also has some automatic mixing settings that you can select. Perfect.

It. Is. So. Good.

Ive have literally done playing, recording, writing and sketching than I have for years.

Its not all good news though... Its opened up the DAW recording rabbit-hole for me, and launched me into Universal Audio world !

But for £259 !?!?!? 

The best £259 Ive ever spent.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    Brilliant review. I could totally see the sense in this, as I'm very inexperienced in the home recording world. Very decent price too !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Schmo said:
    Brilliant review. I could totally see the sense in this, as I'm very inexperienced in the home recording world. Very decent price too !
    Thanks Graeme - appreciate it mate !

It's perfect if you experience is limited - even I understood it and could use the Spire straight away. Its very well built, and superbly packaged. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    Nice one, @Wazmeister . I've never been bothered to dabble with recording onto computers etc. Can't stand the digital menus etc. I like simplicity so I can concentrate on playing. This sounds a great solution. Hmmm.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Love the spire. I use it as a notepad for ideas and it's brilliant for that.