Jazz lessons online/instructional stuff

What's Hot
Hello TFBers,

I've likely asked about something like this once before.  I tried enrolling with Jimmy Bruno and found myself struggling.  If I recall correctly, I had to upload a video of my playing and he was a bit rude about it, not particularly helpful (very much you've got this wrong, and made me angry) or inspiring.

Now, having reviewed some of the PDFs I saved, I think I'm in a better place than I was then and have a better grasp of modes.  I'm hovering over re-enrolling.  However, I am wondering if you have any suggestions.

I'm happy to pay a few quid for online one-to-one sessions or pay for a course that is really good.  Maybe one of you is a teacher and can fit me in?

I've been playing a long time.  I'm technically reasonable (much better at noodling fast solos than complex chords), know major scale/mode basics and that's about it.  I don't really know much about chords beyond the harmonised major scale but I dream of playing like Grant Green or Wes Montgomery but can't work out how to head in that direction.  I imagine some of it is down to study without a guitar in hand and, with a deep breath, it's about time to have a go.

Thoughts welcome!

Ta.
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 232
    Have a look at subscribing to Jens Larsens YT channel, he's written a few books for Fundamental Changes now and is pretty good...covers techniques, scales and jazz standards too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ5tLJNu5RA

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Free stuff: Robin Nolan is good, Tuck's tips on facebook, I've got stuff on hubpages.com. Most people overcomplicate things and that's where traditional lessons can help.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Yeah, Jimmy's an accquired taste and can be pretty cranky. He's actually lovely person, but can have a very grumpy web persona.

+1 for Robin Nolan. He gives out free stuff, but his main site is behind a paywall.

Another +1 for Jens Larsen, he's great, but he goes at a relentless pace (there's new vids out every few days)

MusicLessons.com - Corey Christiansen is a great communicator/teacher

Sheryl Bailey's Bebob Dojo on Truefire is interactive
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3741
    edited April 2020
    Thanks, chaps.

@Jalapeno - are any of them interactive, other than Sheryl Bailey, where somebody can assess what I know/can do/should focus on?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    @imalrightjack not to be rude or too controversial, but the key to players like Wes or Grant Green is not much rooted in theory.

Personally I think there's quite a lot of stuff written down about jazz, but many of the great players like Gilad Hekselmann, Bob Reynolds or Jonathan Kreisberg seem to indicate that some of the best things you can do for jazz is learn many many tunes.

For me personally, not that I'm a good player or anything, but the vast improvement in my jazz playing came when I just focussed on learning a tune a week - but actually learning it - the head, the chords and then figuring out the harmony for soloing over it.

I wish someone had told me that earlier on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    JohnCordy said:
    @imalrightjack not to be rude or too controversial, but the key to players like Wes or Grant Green is not much rooted in theory.

Personally I think there's quite a lot of stuff written down about jazz, but many of the great players like Gilad Hekselmann, Bob Reynolds or Jonathan Kreisberg seem to indicate that some of the best things you can do for jazz is learn many many tunes.

For me personally, not that I'm a good player or anything, but the vast improvement in my jazz playing came when I just focussed on learning a tune a week - but actually learning it - the head, the chords and then figuring out the harmony for soloing over it.

Wis'd - theory whilst not bad in itself, won't teach you jazz, there's a lot of feel and ear training. For example playing triads and arpeggios will get you way further than knowing the modes of Melodic Minor.

Robin & Corey will do interactive Skype lessons.  I suspect Jens Larsen would too, but I don't know.

Feedback
  • JohnCordy said:

That makes sense.  But doesn't knowing the theory make it easier and fast-track you to 'figuring out the harmony for soloing over it'?

My band, Red For Dissent
    edited April 2020
    JohnCordy said:

That makes sense.  But doesn't knowing the theory make it easier and fast-track you to 'figuring out the harmony for soloing over it'?

Not really - that'd be your ear and facility with scales.  CAGED fingering is also good for getting out of Blues boxes.

There aren't THAT many progressions used in Jazz - they do modulate, but not wildly. Maj/Min 251 is 90% of it, then Non-functioning Dom7, Circle of Fourths/Fifths, 1 (or 3) 625, Maj to Min - I'd be hard pushed to name a song that wasn't covered by that.

This is great for explaining it - Harmony with Lego Brocks by Conrad Cork - you can easily get PDFs of it, I think it's out of print.

Feedback
    Once you get used to not playing 145 it's a lot easier to hear what's going on.  Slipping in accidentals (by ear) becomes second nature in soloing - b9, #9, #11, 13 etc

There's no reason NOT to learn the theory, but it's more rewarding if you don't start there as it can be daunting.

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    Once you get used to not playing 145 it's a lot easier to hear what's going on.  Slipping in accidentals (by ear) becomes second nature in soloing - b9, #9, #11, 13 etc

There's no reason NOT to learn the theory, but it's more rewarding if you don't start there as it can be daunting.
    How would you advise approaching, say, a 2-5-1?  Switch between modes for each?  I.e. Dorian, Mixolydian, Ionian?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    edited April 2020
    @imalrightjack hey this might help you if you're wondering on the modes side of things...to be honest modes would not be one of the approaches I would suggest regarding jazz improvisation. The video below is partly exploring why modal analysis may not be useful for you.

For a 2 5 1, the good news is that you only need to think one key - so a big part of jazz is identifying where is "home" for these chords. For instance autumn leaves is predominantly just based in 1 key, whereas giant steps is based in 3 keys. 

For bebop, ballads and so on, the major scale is going to be your bread and butter, and learn the triads and arpeggios will be huge.

Jens Larsen's YouTube is a great place to look though!
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    edited April 2020
    Jalapeno said:

How would you advise approaching, say, a 2-5-1?  Switch between modes for each?  I.e. Dorian, Mixolydian, Ionian?
    No. You just play in the key of the 1. It’s just a progression not a sequence of modulations  

So in C major, you don’t suddenly switch to D dorian, G mixo, C major - switching key and mode at the same time, using modes that happen to use the same as the parent key’s ionian. That’s totally the wrong way to think of the flow of music. It’s all in C major, and you play a TUNE that fits with the harmony flowing underneath. (Unless the changes are SO slow that your brain really settles into each chord for half a minute or so)

The notes happen to fit D dorian and G mixo, but that’s purely because those notes are in C major. It’s called functional harmony. Like when we say I ii iii IV V vi vii*.

Modes are just an extension of that, filling the gaps between the triads: I ii(raised 6) iii(lowered 2nd), IV(aug 4th), V(lowered 7th), vi, vii(lowered 2nd and diminished 5th). 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    Jalapeno said:

That’s totally the wrong way to think of the flow of music. 
    Trust me, that isn't how think of the flow of music!  I just wondered how others approached it.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    viz said:
    Jalapeno said:

Trust me, that isn't how think of the flow of music!  I just wondered how others approached it.
    Sure and I wasn’t thinking you did - just trying to put my opinion down clearly. I hear a lot of chord tone playing and it’s really jumpy and unmusical. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    viz said:
    Jalapeno said:

Sure and I wasn’t thinking you did - just trying to put my opinion down clearly. I hear a lot of chord tone playing and it’s really jumpy and unmusical. 
    That's really what I want to avoid.  In my mind's eye, the Jimmy Bruno method was pushed along following modally but I could be completely wrong!  Appreciate the input :)

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ask Jimmy about modes ! ;)  Hahahaha - you'd get a blast of Anglo-Saxon :)  (Yes, you're wrong, he's all about melodies).

Tonal centre of the 1 of 251 (C as discussed above) - it sounds ok, make it more interesting by picking out Dm & G7 Triads and Arpeggios - but you can work up to that as it weevils into your ear, don't rush.

Feedback

Feedback
  • TforTeleTforTele Frets: 33
    JohnCordy said:

Just thinking along the same sort of lines: transcribing.  I don't use it as much as I would like / should, but I find the Transcribe! software great.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited April 2020
    I played old style traditional Jazz standards for over 20 years.

Using modes to play them is a complete waste of time and you won't get far. Just start by playing chord tones and arppegios, that's a much better approach.

The ii-V-I is in one key, not four keys like a Modes approach would have you thinking.

Modes are the theoretical basis for Chord Scale Theory, where you play a scale on every chord, it's no good for playing old style traditional Jazz standards, they were not played or composed like that. That's means virtually every Jazz Standard composed before 1960 didn't use modes as an approach.

My advice is to listen to the records of your favourite old Jazz standards and copy the lines, Chet Baker's trumpet lines are easier to transcribe. Then add a bit of theory about chord substitutes, Major/minor harmony, but not too much theory.

The old Jamie Aebersold book/cd with a proper Jazz band were great for practicing playing along with.

I like Jimmy Bruno's playing, I've seen him live a few times, great improvisor, because he has very good ears.

Modes are for Modal compositions not for old style traditional Jazz Standards.

Rant over..................................................
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, @GuyBoden - didn't come across as a rant either!

My band, Red For Dissent