Request: Clone a specific pickup

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9987
    tFB Trader
    timmypix said:
    Surely with 44awg wire, 19k, while high, isn't as ridiculously high an output as that number would suggest on a thicker wire gauge? 
    Glad you found one reasonably priced!

I'm also curious as to how on earth you obtained the specs for a PRS pickup, as they're rather generally cagey about details when it comes to their pickups.

Totally correct ... the output will be similar to a 14 or 15k pickup wound with 43awg. The sound will however be more compressed in certain frequencies.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    a spec sheet from the mid-90s was leaked a long time ago, and this was one of them on there back then. I was fortunate to find a copy and saved it for reference. :)
    I am aware of at least two versions of this list. One looks like an official PRS .pdf (right down to using the same typeface), the other is a photograph of hand written specs in a note book. 

The following details are from a 2007 Japanese book. 
    https://i.imgur.com/4CDdHao.jpg?1
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aye, I’ve got both of the first two lists - the Dragon 1’s are inly on the hand-written one if I recall correctly. That japanese one is new to me though, will have a proper look this eve, thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    Thread-surrection time.

I managed to get hold of a Dragon 1 bridge pickup to complete the set, and have been trying them out alongside the 85/15s that I’d fitted in my Cu24.

The magic is there like I remember, and in very much the way that @bignorm described, BUT* I think my tastes have changed now such that I’m preferring the 85/15s. I’ve not quite made my mind up yet, but will likely put the D1s up for sale shortly. 

Before I do though I wondered if there was any value in one of you builders having the bridge one to reverse-engineer - assuming it wouldn’t completely trash the pickup?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom