Early oasis settings

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26878
    I would try not to get too hung up on exact settings (whether it's gain at 7.5 or 8.5 on the dial, etc), because unless you have everything identical (including having Noel's guitars, hands and brain) it's never going to be identical. 

It's generally better to use your ears as a guide and tweak gain/volume/EQ until it sounds right to you.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
    edited May 2020
    Have you tried a BOSS PW-2? No idea if it really gets you the sound but worth a try? Anyone else had one?

https://youtu.be/C8fdPpRNLM8
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • billandobillando Frets: 26
    Since were discussing this if anyone is interested there was a very noticeable change in his tone during the whats the story morning glory tour and all 1996 gigs. Seems like his sound gets much cleaner. This is noticeable during the 1996 maine road gig and also if you listen to "oasis white room sessions". During aquiesce and good to be free he just has one jcm900 but dont look back in anger, roll with it, round our way and some might say (these are recoreded months later) the sound is much cleaner. During this time he used a bluesbreaker, wem dominator and jcm900. To my ears around this time the bluesbreaker is the dominant sound.
  • billandobillando Frets: 26
    When oasis toured usa in 1994 they only used jcm900 dual reverbs. Im now convinced noels sound at least was the normal channel with max gain and almost max volume....not the lead channel. I can only test this out with an attenuator and not actual full volume but i think i am correct. They had a heavier sound here than 96 tour where a jcm900 was still used in conjunction with other amps but i believe the master volume was maybe at 7/8 instead of 10 giving the slightly cleaner sound.....maybe nobody cares but just my thoughts!
  • Does anyone know if oasis used the normal channel or the lead channel of the jcm 900 dual reverb when they used and recorded with these in the 90s? Songs i know that were recorded with this amp were Headshrinker, fade away and good to be free...there def were many others. Also, on some early live performances noel uses only one amp such as on "oasis MTV 1994" but its difficult to tell what channel is used
  • “Liam wanted his vocal blisteringly loud, and Noel hadn’t really found the guitar sound he wanted — he was experimenting. I remember at Knebworth he brought loads of different amplifiers and he had a switcher box, the idea being that he could use different amplifiers for different songs, which was fine in theory, except what he did was leave them all on all night. He was nine feet behind the vocal mic, so for him to hear his vocals meant the monitors were constantly at 106dB. I remember Huw Richards (FOH engineer) saying that the best guitar sound he got from that rig, which was all out of phase, producing this monstrous noise, was when Noel moved his head out of the way of the vocal mic to look down at his pedals and start a guitar solo — that was the clearest guitar sound all night. It was a ludicrous amount of noise. Someone would get within 10 feet of a microphone and you could hear their breath.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i play in an oasis cover group. The sound i like best is the early stuff with the jcm 900 dominant sound. Check oasis chicago 1994 for what i mean. Very raw. Im assuming noel used the lead channel but cant be sure. One thing i am sure of is he would have had his amp really loud which contributed to the sound. For me its a fine balancing act as (in a band context unmiced) too little master volume makes it thin whilst upping the master and attenuating down too much loses punch and makes it too compressed......i also play with the idea he used the normal channel with the gain and master cranked....maybe one of the secrets is to get the speakers pushed to a volume that i just cant get to.
  • You could try and get your hands on the Scran pedal.  

https://www.soundladliverpool.co.uk/product-page/scran
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Without being dismissive as I love Noel & Oasis, it's your basic overdriven 70s rock sound as used by loads of earlier bands.

It just sounds so distictive as they used it in the 80s.  Then everyone else was going nuts about Van Halen's Brown/Mush sound  or going for that very over processed 80s sound (typified by Phil Collen of Def Leppard).

If you can't run a JCM900 flat out, get something smaller as suggested ^^^^^^, even a Marshal Guvnor into a practice amp will do the 70s sound.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393
    Jalapeno said:
    Without being dismissive as I love Noel & Oasis, it's your basic overdriven 70s rock sound as used by loads of earlier bands.

It just sounds so distictive as they used it in the 80s.  Then everyone else was going nuts about Van Halen's Brown/Mush sound  or going for that very over processed 80s sound (typified by Phil Collen of Def Leppard).

If you can't run a JCM900 flat out, get something smaller as suggested ^^^^^^, even a Marshal Guvnor into a practice amp will do the 70s sound.
    90's mate :) But yeah I hear it as a basic Marshall sound too.
    I generally play more cowboy chords than 5 chords to sound like Noel and avoid any vibrato on the bends. That gets me 80% there. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • i have a jmp 2104 50w master volume combo. Cant get more 70s rock than that id say.

Whatever amp is used it would have to be pretty high up on the volume would you agree to get power valve overdrive?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1083
    Did Noel not play Voxs around that time as well?

I do think the Oasis sound - but especially the early Oasis sound - is just everything turned up to 10.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    LPManic said:
    Did Noel not play Voxs around that time as well?

I do think the Oasis sound - but especially the early Oasis sound - is just everything turned up to 10.
    He did. In fact, “don’t look back in anger” was recorded on a strat and AC30.

Everything apart from the gain. If you listen, it’s actually pretty clean in a lot of places. 

I’ve just picked up a jcm900 combo and tbh within a few mins (even using a Tele) I was right back in my element playing oasis tunes. And the gain was far from maxed out. 
  • If you look at the knebworth gig on youtube at the very start the camera pans across his jcm 900...you only see the preamp setting for channel A and B (B is the lead channel)......the preamp is 3/4 on the lead channel and every time i see an oasis gig from the early days the red LED on his jcm 900 is on indicating the lead channel is selected...this has thrown me a bit cos i think this sounds like too much gain....however, as the master volume is increased the amp is less compressed and it sounds like this could actually be the setting 
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 421
    Love how this thread is still on-going after 18 months, there's only 10 knobs on the JCM900!

No one appears to have mentioned the speakers he would have been using - which will have a major impact on the sound.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4995
    Early one -94 -  it appears to have a used an Orange 0d120 half stack and a valvestate combo. with an space echo but no pedals front of the stage
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11740
    One of the biggest problems I find when you are playing Oasis songs with others is people refuse to accept that there is actually a tone, nuance and style to both Noel AND Bonehead's playing.

There is a good youtube channel from a chap called James Hargreaves (dunno if he posts here, hi if he does) who looks at a lot of Oasis stuff, and he calls Bonehead's playing the sound of Definitely Maybe, which in many ways he is.

From WTSMG onwards it becomes more and more the "Noel show" - until of course the start of Oasis Mk2 when Gem and Andy have an increasing influence on the sound.

Its actually quite refreshing seeing among musicians Oasis seem to be cool to bash, we even had a thread about OCS turn into Oasis bashing the other day, despite the fact without Oasis no-one would have bluddy heard of them.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom