Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the new Yamaha THR II!

What's Hot
14567810»

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Well, if you're giving them away, I'll have one please...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine arrived at the weekend.

I think Yamaha have kicked it right up the moon's arse with this.

The app does what I had hoped giving access to the 'deep editing' options.  You have to use the app to access the different amp models. I could not get the android app to work but ios worked immediately.

Can't see any bluetooth latency being a problem unless you are trying to play in real time reading tabs off youtube.

I have not had time yet to explore the many options but am impressed so far with the way it mimics the sensitivity of a valve amp.
    Which model did you go for?

Is there another way to control the amp modes without the app? What if in a few years the app isn't available any more... does that mean you're limited to what you can control using the buttons/knobs?
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2261
    I did a last minute grab and go PA job and just took along a Les Paul with P90s and the THR10C set in Matchless mode and stuck it straight into the PA via the headphone out. Very basic.  To my delight it sounded ginormous! Just used the guitar volume to control the gain level. Obviously you can only do that with a decent PA and monitors but in the mix it was very successful. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Anyone else on here tried the new version - lots of chatter on the Gearpage of people being disappointed out of the box (compared to the old version) and some software bugs.
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    dindude said:
    Anyone else on here tried the new version - lots of chatter on the Gearpage of people being disappointed out of the box (compared to the old version) and some software bugs.
    dindude said:
    Would be interested to know what @Gassage thinks as I believe he might have got one based on a recent post.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    melod said:
    dindude said:
    dindude said:
    Would be interested to know what @Gassage thinks as I believe he might have got one based on a recent post.

Nope- I bought a Yamaha Leslie Amp - RA100. Which is the absolute opposite of this as it's about as portable as the Statue of Liberty and as versatile as a welding torch

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2019
    So I had a quick play at Yamaha London and I must admit I did not fall in love with it. 

Note that I used to own the original thr10 and liked it for the most part.

I am not saying the new one is worse but apart from the extra features it didn’t wow me (for the price). Depending on your needs though, it still might be a great solution as it brings a lot of things together (usb recording , battery etc)

Yesterday I spent some time with a vox amplug and some nice headphones and I don’t think it was bad for headphone practicing that is not tethered to an amp.

so that leaves us with quiet no headphones practice and pc integration. I think it you are looking at a van Halen sound at whispering level it is still a great choice.

Finally, I would for once pay attention to marketing :”it’s your third amp”. For that, it’s very good (if you don’t mind the money)

p.s. tried the THR for electro acoustics (forget the model). I thought that was amazing 

just my two cents 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    melod said:
    Finally, I would for once pay attention to marketing :”it’s your third amp”. For that, it’s very good (if you don’t mind the money)
    I can never remember what's supposed to be the second amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2019
    Philly_Q said:
    melod said:
    I can never remember what's supposed to be the second amp.
    I guess a small combo after your stadium touring days are over and you 100 watt head is too precious ha!

I had one more go at it yesterday. Again, lots of boxyness and often harsh too end that took my ears off BUT I definitely can see there are good sounds in it if you spend too much time for my liking. I think Yamaha needs to throw some big firmware update that might make it excellent. The feel is ok too.

oh and the difference in using cable vs the relay is fairly noticeable 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    So I’ve bought a Thr10ii - not the wireless version. I’m without my main amp and pedals for a month and had been eying this up as a convenient living room thingy anyway so went ahead.

Had a few plays and here’s my first impressions, note this is all through headphones as of now.

The difference in where you need to set the knobs to get balance of volume and tone between the amp types is vast, and somewhat strange.

I can get some very nice cleans that are on the slightly cheesy side, but the good side of cheese, think lightly chorused crystalline cleans like Scott Henderson or Mike Landau.

I can get some great mid focused lead sounds, kinda 80’s type gain levels and sounds.

The place where I live most, lightly broken up organic tones with trem or spring reverb, and fairly low gain sweet lead tones, I can’t get there at all. I have been spoilt with boutique amps and the UA Ox as my headphone solution, but for these sounds it just sounds and feels like a cheap modeller.

Biggest surprise is that the crunch amp, which is where I thought I’d live, is terrible, can’t get anything useful out of it at all.

Sounds negative, but it will see me through the next month and I’ll likely keep it because a). It does do a decent job of those LA cleans and gains which my main rig doesn’t and is a place I like to visit occasionally. But for the other tones, it just doesn’t make me want to pick up play.

I also need to experiment with the app which I’m sure will unlock a lot more.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 134
    How does this new one compare to the 10X for high gain? Demoes on youtube show some great tones with good low end, and yet TH10X prices seem to be skyrocketing since it was discontinued...
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    How does this new one compare to the 10X for high gain? Demoes on youtube show some great tones with good low end, and yet TH10X prices seem to be skyrocketing since it was discontinued...
    I don't have a 10X to do an A/B comparison but compared to my regular 10 it was pretty much the same. some of the models have been tweaked but it does all the good stuff the originals did. Not sure why the price of the 10X has gone up. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.