Line 6 Pod Go

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17584
    tFB Trader
    Got bored of waiting and went with an LT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I did a few reviews for Line 6... the problem has been the Covid-economy issue, which caused temporary layoffs, reduced production of gear, etc. This is the reason for the delay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    I hear ya but they're on the second wave of distribution over the pond. Just feels like I'm missing out on the euphoria somewhat.

I did consider an LT too, just these last few days, probably looking at the same listing here as monquixote snaffled, but I had to remind myself that the form factor AND price point were the reason I had to be patient.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited May 2020
    For me, LT is too big, too heavy, too expensive, and too complicated with way more in it than I want or need. Of all the current Line 6 offerings, Pod Go is the nearest fit to my needs and budget. The other contender is the Mooer GE300, more expensive but it's way more powerful with its double Sharc chips, and has tone capture. I'm also expecting UK prices to drop once Pod Go comes out so it's going to be interesting to decide which is the best fit. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3810
    edited May 2020
    Voxman said:
    For me, LT is too big, too heavy, too expensive, and too complicated with way more in it than I want or need. Of all the current Line 6 offerings, Pod Go is the nearest fit to my needs and budget. The other contender is the Mooer GE300, more expensive but it's way more powerful with its double Sharc chips, and has tone capture. I'm also expecting UK prices to drop once Pod Go comes out so it's going to be interesting to decide which is the best fit. 
    I hear ya but they're on the second wave of distribution over the pond. Just feels like I'm missing out on the euphoria somewhat.

I did consider an LT too, just these last few days, probably looking at the same listing here as monquixote snaffled, but I had to remind myself that the form factor AND price point were the reason I had to be patient.
    How about HX Stomp + 2-button external footswitch + mini-EXP pedal, put together on a small pedal board? 

Slightly less elegant than an all-in-one design, but does the same job and has all the extra functionality of the Stomp should you need it. Plus obviously no waiting around! 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I hear ya but they're on the second wave of distribution over the pond. 
    I also see people in Asia receiving there's so it does seem that Europe is last on the list, which does feel a bit harsh.  But that's buyers remorse for you.  Ill hand on in there.  Even dug out the old pod hd500 the other day to keep me going

@Dontgiveupyourdayjob ; looks tidy, but no denying the Go looks neater..  more buttons too.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

In a bit of a dilemma. Whilst there's much to like about Pod Go, there are two major issues for me. First, processing power with its single 32 point chip. It doesn't really have 9 blocks - 3 of the 5 fixed blocks (EQ.Vol,Wah) use up very little DSP hence why you can't swap them for an FX, and I'm not convinced 4 selectable blocks is enough especially when a looper takes up a block.  Second, you have to hit 2 foots-switches simultaneously to toggle between patch and snapshot modes. No issue at home, but it's a right pain live at a gig on a darkened stage.  I wish it was just a bit more powerful with full selectable single switch operation throughout - I'd gladly have paid £100 more.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17584
    tFB Trader
    From my brief time with the helix I've made several patches which exhaust the processing power of one chain. On the LT you just add the second chain so it's ok but that wouldn't be the case with the POD or stomp.
  • Digital_IglooDigital_Igloo Frets: 379
    edited May 2020
    Voxman said:
    In a bit of a dilemma. Whilst there's much to like about Pod Go, there are two major issues for me. First, processing power with its single 32 point chip. It doesn't really have 9 blocks - 3 of the 5 fixed blocks (EQ.Vol,Wah) use up very little DSP hence why you can't swap them for an FX, and I'm not convinced 4 selectable blocks is enough especially when a looper takes up a block.  Second, you have to hit 2 foots-switches simultaneously to toggle between patch and snapshot modes. No issue at home, but it's a right pain live at a gig on a darkened stage.  I wish it was just a bit more powerful with full selectable single switch operation throughout - I'd gladly have paid £100 more.
    Depends on how you have them set up. I stay in Snapshot mode and press Bank ^ OR Bank v (one switch) to queue the same bank. Select a preset and POD Go instantly jumps back to Snapshot mode. You only have to press two switches when first entering Snapshot mode.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    Voxman said:
    Depends on how you have them set up. I stay in Snapshot mode and press Bank ^ OR Bank v (one switch) to queue the same bank. Select a preset and POD Go instantly jumps back to Snapshot mode. You only have to press two switches when first entering Snapshot mode.
    In snapshot mode buttons A, B, C & D are your snapshots. But if you want stomp mode you have to come out of snapshot. So, let's say you have a string of songs to play live - for some you need snapshots, but for others you need a simpler stomp mode where you don't have to pre-program snapshots - you can press 'Mode' to come out of snapshot but you have to press the 2 switches each time you want to re-enter snapshot, as the Mode switch can't get you back in to snapshot.  At a live gig it's not a logical switching process and the 2 button switching is problematic.  Pod Go is intended to be a one stop shop easy to use unit that you can take to a rehearsal or gig and is simple to use. As the switching is currently structured, it's problematic. @Digital_Igloo as Chief Product Design Architect at Yamaha, please see what you and the team can do to come up with a firmware solution update to avoid the double switch issue. Perhaps adjusting the way the mode switch works to give a 3 way switch option or using a 'long press' on the patch up/down to do the switch over. 

The other problem in snapshot mode, from what I've read, is you can't name them to distinguish different set-ups.  I think they simply show as 'multiple'.  So live on stage you have to remember which is which. Perhaps that's something you might be able to help with this too?

The above are just simple features to help gigging players.  I can accept the compromise on processing power i
    f the Pod Go can be just that tiny bit more gig friendly via the above - frankly I've got buy with 4 blocks on my Tonelab SE for years  & so there should be enough in Pod Go to give me the tones I need; & if I get caught short I can always add an external pedal in the insert loop. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    i think you should stump up and buy an LT second hand, probably only an extra 100-150.. and it'll give you what you want.

My take will be that within each patch (possibly a patch per song if needed), I will choose either snapshot mode or stomp depending on whether I want 4 distinct tones (via snapshots) or more flexibility (via 4 stomps with their multi parameter features).

But I feel no need to have to switch between the two mid song..  I want to concentrate on playing not having to think beyond 4 sounds per song.

I'm gonna get some magnetic coloured labels to drop above footswitches A-D and devise a system when programming the snapshots.

It's not aimed at everyone.
    My trading feedback

Voxman said:
    Voxman said:
    In snapshot mode buttons A, B, C & D are your snapshots. But if you want stomp mode you have to come out of snapshot. So, let's say you have a string of songs to play live - for some you need snapshots, but for others you need a simpler stomp mode where you don't have to pre-program snapshots - you can press 'Mode' to come out of snapshot but you have to press the 2 switches each time you want to re-enter snapshot, as the Mode switch can't get you back in to snapshot. 
    No you don't. Set Global Settings > Switches/Pedals > Snapshot Mode to "Toggle." Now you can just press MODE and Preset Mode maintains the four snapshot switches, with preset selection still available via a single Bank Up or Bank Down press. (Or preset up/preset down if Up/Down Switches is set to "Presets.")

But no, you can't currently apply custom names to snapshots. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:
    Voxman said:
    In snapshot mode buttons A, B, C & D are your snapshots. But if you want stomp mode you have to come out of snapshot. So, let's say you have a string of songs to play live - for some you need snapshots, but for others you need a simpler stomp mode where you don't have to pre-program snapshots - you can press 'Mode' to come out of snapshot but you have to press the 2 switches each time you want to re-enter snapshot, as the Mode switch can't get you back in to snapshot. 
    No you don't. Set Global Settings > Switches/Pedals > Snapshot Mode to "Toggle." Now you can just press MODE and Preset Mode maintains the four snapshot switches, with preset selection still available via a single Bank Up or Bank Down press. (Or preset up/preset down if Up/Down Switches is set to "Presets.")

But no, you can't currently apply custom names to snapshots. 
    Sorry @Digital_Igloo but I'm not quite sure we're on the same page here. I'm aware of the above - but preset mode when used as above lets you only use the foot switches ABCD as snapshots or selecting a patch - but you don't get STOMP mode and it's this switching I'm talking about. As far as I can see there's no way to switch between patch, snapshot and stomp mode simply by using single foot switch commands. 
    edited May 2020
    i think you should stump up and buy an LT second hand, probably only an extra 100-150.. and it'll give you what you want.

My take will be that within each patch (possibly a patch per song if needed), I will choose either snapshot mode or stomp depending on whether I want 4 distinct tones (via snapshots) or more flexibility (via 4 stomps with their multi parameter features).

But I feel no need to have to switch between the two mid song..  I want to concentrate on playing not having to think beyond 4 sounds per song.

I'm gonna get some magnetic coloured labels to drop above foots witches A-D and devise a system when programming the snapshots.

It's not aimed at everyone.
    Sorry @bloodandtears but I've already said "For me, LT is too big, too heavy, too expensive, and too complicated with way more in it than I want or need. Of all the current Line 6 offerings, Pod Go is the nearest fit to my needs and budget."  And it's not even the budget - I can actually afford Helix LT or even the Helix. But I just don't want them. 

"
    My take will be that within each patch (possibly a patch per song if needed), I will choose either snapshot mode or stomp depending on whether I want 4 distinct tones (via snapshots) or more flexibility (via 4 stomps with their multi parameter features)."   

EXACTLY - and that's just what I want to do (not mid song). But (unless I've misunderstood and @Digital_Igloo can clarify to the contrary) there's no way that I can see to 3-way toggle via a single footswitch between patch, snapshot, and stomp modes.  To cycle between all three you have to press both the up/down switches.  Pod Go has the functionality - I'm just after getting rid of that 'double foot switch' operation to do it.  I was hoping the software could be tweaked so that the MODE switch could act as a 3-way toggle to cycle through these.   

edited May 2020
    Voxman said:EXACTLY - and that's just what I want to do (not mid song). But (unless I've misunderstood and @Digital_Igloo can clarify to the contrary) there's no way that I can see to 3-way toggle via a single footswitch between patch, snapshot, and stomp modes.  To cycle between all three you have to press both the up/down switches.  Pod Go has the functionality - I'm just after getting rid of that 'double foot switch' operation to do it.  I was hoping the software could be tweaked so that the MODE switch could act as a 3-way toggle to do this.
    Toggles aren't 3-way; 3-ways cycle, and cycling through 3 or more items in the heat of battle is a bad thing; you always end up stepping once too many. We know because we've watched people do it. Therefore, MODE will always toggle between two footswitch modes, but you have a variety of options on how you set up both of those modes.

Some boxes have the MODE switch open a menu where you have to step on the mode you want, which automatically means every mode switch is two footswitch presses away. Also a bad thing.

If I had a better idea of what you're specifically trying to accomplish, I might be able to suggest how to set things up. Not what workflow you prefer, but how do you actually perform?
    edited May 2020
    If I had a better idea of what you're specifically trying to accomplish, I might be able to suggest how to set things up. Not what workflow you prefer, but how do you actually perform?
    I understand re 3 way toggle. What about allowing one of the other footswitches to do this or e.g. a 2 second delay on Mode to give you the 3rd option thereby eliminating the problem you mention as a prolonged press would have to be intentional? 

Very valid and sensible question re how I'd like to use Pod Go @Digital_Igloo so here goes.

Let's say I'm doing a 20 to 30 set. For most, the basic patch or a single stomp will likely be all I need. But for some songs snap shot would be brilliant because it would allow me to switch tones within the same patch, not only by switching on or off multiple fx at the same time but also change parameters, all with a single foot switch..something you can't do in stomp mode.  For playing Brighton Rock, Ramble on, Feel like makimg love etc etc snap shots 'patch within a patch' would be brilliant. Currently I have to program multiple patches and have these all next to each other. 

But for other numbers I might just want to keep it simple e.g. kick in a boost or distortion or wah, when all I need is stomp box mode for more freedom where I won't have had to set up a snapshot. For example we might decide  to lengthen a number like Jumping Jack Flash or Roadhouse Blues and on the spur I might want to throw in some wah or turn off a distortion for a quieter section before kicking in the distortion pedal again. I then need to switch to another patch for the next number.  So I'd need to toggle between stomp and snap shot and patch mode. 

The whole idea would be to make the best use of what Pod Go can do. For me it's that functionality that makes Pod Go stand out from the crowd. Something like the Mooer GE300 may have more processing power with 15 blocks, and tone capture, and a synth that I don't need, but it's the comparative simplicity and immediacy of Pod Go for gigging with its snapshots and Helix quality amp and fx modeling that appeals to me.

If my loathing of the 2 foot switches at once thing seems out of proportion, it's because I've had bad experiences with this at gigs.  

So, thoughts? 
    I believe Ross covered this earlier in this post.. https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/179901/

You can configure it so that..

Bank up/down queues Patches.
    The switches A-D are set in snapshot mode

And pressing the mode switch can toggle between stomp / snaps within that patch.

@rossyamaha / @Digital_Igloo ; could confirm.

My trading feedback

edited May 2020
    I believe Ross covered this earlier in this post.. https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/179901/

You can configure it so that..

Bank up/down queues Patches.
    The switches A-D are set in snapshot mode

And pressing the mode switch can toggle between stomp / snaps within that patch.

@rossyamaha / @Digital_Igloo ;;;;;;; could confirm.

@bloodandtears ;;;;;; as @rossyamaha confirmed my understanding was right. According to the manual (p5 item 12) , the Mode switch lets you toggle between stomp and patch modes only - you can use Mode to come out of snapshot or the 6 switch looper but to go back in to snapshot you have to do press bank up/down at the same time. And the 'cheat sheet' similarly says "MODE Step on MODE to toggle between Preset and Stomp Footswitch Modes"

So I'm confused.  In the words of Dire Strait's 'Industrial Disease' - "Two men think they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong!" - so, either the boys from Yamaha have got it wrong or the manual's written wrong...I suspect it's more likely the manual!  
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 753
    Whichever it is, could we talk about the Pod Go in a more general sense again? I keep getting excited that someone's got some interesting take on it or has one and is reviewing it against a regular LT or Stomp or something else. 

Anything but the groundhog day-like discussion regarding the minutiae of how it switches patches. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom