What all round Bass ?

What's Hot
spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
I’m maybe looking for a Bass to use on some recordings, no particular genre, but nothing to heavy.

id really like to own a Rick Bass, but will it be a bit of a one trick pony ?

Any opinions on others that might be a More universal Choice ?

Mac Mini M1
Presonus Studio One V5
 https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
 https://twitter.com/spark240
 Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
Reddit r/newmusicreview 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The answer I always give to these sorts of threads is anything from the Ibanez SR series. The range covers every price bracket, from the dirt cheap through to the super expensive.

They're super comfortable to play, very versatile, built like tanks, and superb value for money (especially 2nd hand). Anything from the SR500 upward in the range, with the Bartolini pick ups and the active EQ, will serve as a very solid all-round gigging or recording bass.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    edited May 2020
    spark240 said:
    I’m maybe looking for a Bass to use on some recordings, no particular genre, but nothing to heavy.

id really like to own a Rick Bass, but will it be a bit of a one trick pony ?

The Rick is about as far from a one trick pony as it’s possible to get. You can use one for anything from jazz to metal and all points between.

If you want one, you can afford one and you get on with them physically, then it would be my first choice - that’s what I use.

That said, you can also use a Precision for absolutely any style of music and it will sound good. You can get a perfectly good P for not much more than a hundred quid really...

The answer I always give to these sorts of threads is anything from the Ibanez SR series. The range covers every price bracket, from the dirt cheap through to the super expensive.

They're super comfortable to play, very versatile, built like tanks, and superb value for money (especially 2nd hand). Anything from the SR500 upward in the range, with the Bartolini pick ups and the active EQ, will serve as a very solid all-round gigging or recording bass.

But that said, if you would prefer a 5-string I happen to be selling one of these ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    2 grand is a lot to spend on a maybe, might be, perhaps bass! If you have the disposable income to do so, I'd go for one though! \m/ They look great! But a P bass could cover everything.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    A Ric is far more flexible than it’s signature players would lead you to believe. As @ICBM has pointed out, it can do pretty much everything. Personally I’d go with the S model with its rounded edges, more comfy to play. Otherwise a P Bass will cover all the bases.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Ok, so sadly 5 strings are off my agenda at the moment ;-)

On the basis that I can't initially find a decent Rick for under the noted £2k...

Fender P - Mexican / USA  ?....much difference, 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 660
    Agreed on a P bass - you'll be amazed at what you can do with one pickup and a tone control. I've just bought one of Sandberg's and it's unbelievably well made. If you want to cover more 'ground', get one with a jazz pickup or MM pickup in the bridge. That's my recommendation!
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Precision bass
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26750
    I went round this and settled on a P after considering a Rickenbacker bass. I ordered a kit from MJT then covid hit so still waiting, but I’m still happy in my choice. If I find my self playing bass A LOT more then I’ll look at Rickys again
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23934
    95% of all the greatest bass recordings are on a P or a J.

So I'd suggest a PJ

The current Fender Duff model is very nice, but there's also excellent models from Sandberg too.

For just a P or just a J - the Fender American Special models were a short run that are really worth looking for. They are a tiny bit thinner - so tend to be lighter in weight, and the P version has a slimmer neck profile. Very comfy to play.
    They come up at about the £600 mark.

They have been described as USA basses with Mex hardware but aside from the tuning heads there's nothing inferior about any of it. a BBOT bridge is still a BBOT bridge, the stock pickup in the P is excellent (not tried the J).
    Some, including me, don't like the Greasebucket tone control, but that's easy to put back to a trad control with 1 new capacitor and 10 mins work.

If you want more modern, then the Ibby Soundgear basses are very good and well worth trying out.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    A J or a P is all you need. A VM is as good as a MIM. Not sure about others.

I gravitate towards a J neck. Most of the best songs were likely recorded on a P, so is probably the sound you want.

Avoid Epiphones, but I haven't tried their Jack Cassidy yet and refuse to run them all down.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    +1 for a Precision for sitting well in a mix.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited May 2020
    Squier PJ Bass for me. 

Almost always I use the P pickup but it's nice to have the J pickup for that Jaco/Dart sound.

Also I find I have more control and freedom with a 4 string. Stopping unplayed strings sounding is a right pig for me with a 5 string and I have to constantly think about it.

It's not a competition.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    spark240 said:
    There is no "universal" bass guitar. If there were, we would all be using it.

The nearest thing to a bass guitar for almost all occasions is the Fender Precision. It is by far the most recorded.

My suggestion is to buy a PJ bass and install an Oil City Pickups Overkill in the bridge/Treble position to provide the Brand R sounds.

THINKS: You must be within "travelling for exercise" distance of HarrySeven. He should have several items of interest. e.g. Eighties Brand R copies, Ibanez Studio Bass, Höfner JezWynd model et cetera. 
    Be seeing you.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I have a Warwick Streamer $$ V I'm pondering selling.

It's stupidity versatile. 2 humbuckers that can go series, parallel or split active or passive.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I like Rics, in fact I'm a bit of a Ricaholic.

I quite like Warwicks too.

You should be able to get a Ric for well under £2k.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    @prowla how much do you think that collection is worth? I've seen a few Rics on gumtree for sale. One for £1,500 which seems to be as good as you'll get for now? I haven't come across any 4003s second hand yet, but think there was one for £1700 on GAK. Never knew about that Oil City JB bridge. Interesting.... no sound clips knocking around though....
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    P-Bass.

A Musician Stingray is also a good shout.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited May 2020
    Never knew about that Oil City JB bridge. Interesting.... no sound clips knocking around though....
    I keep thinking about getting one for my Squier VM P Bass, then, decide to stick with the EMG-GZR pickups pair for now.

Lurking in the News section of the OCP website is a photograph of an Overkill pickup in '51P single coil format. I suspect that this is the unit built to order for this forum's very own @Bridgehouse. Perhaps, he can spare a moment to comment on how the pickup sounds?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/135815/51-p-bass-semi-acoustic-the-bass-fender-forgot-to-make#latest
    Be seeing you.
    @Funkfingers one of these in the bridge of a mustang pj bass would be great for playing Motorhead style chords and fast licks up and down the neck...