What all round Bass ?

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    playing Motorhead style
    Dial in enough distortion and it ceases to matter much what make/model of bass guitar is being used.  :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2083
    Its great what you can learn in a morning !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    Funkfingers said:

Dial in enough distortion and it ceases to matter much what make/model of bass guitar is being used.  :)
    Use a Superfuzz and it ceases to matter at all :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    playing Motorhead style
    True , but that Brand R clang from the oil city, mmmmm :)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    I'm no bass player but the single nicest one I've played is the Shuker JJ Burnell Sig PBass.
    It's divine.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Never knew about that Oil City JB bridge. Interesting.... no sound clips knocking around though....
    I keep thinking about getting one for my Squier VM P Bass, then, decide to stick with the EMG-GZR pickups pair for now.

Lurking in the News section of the OCP website is a photograph of an Overkill pickup in '51P single coil format. I suspect that this is the unit built to order for this forum's very own @Bridgehouse. Perhaps, he can spare a moment to comment on how the pickup sounds?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/135815/51-p-bass-semi-acoustic-the-bass-fender-forgot-to-make#latest
    It’s in my green 51P so as a whole package it sounds different to a standard single coil P. More punchy, bit more gritty and a more pronounced lower mid. 

I really like it - and I’d say it’s in a par with the hand wound split coil I’ve got in my hollow body 51P
    As a result of this thread, I've just discover the short scale univox hiflyer style bass. GAS...
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    In my experience with fenders you can find really good ones in any price range. It gets more difficult to did a good one the cheaper you go.

I've borrowed some really nice squire precision's and been happy to gig either them. Bridge house kindly let me play his 64 which is the best precision ive played. make that the best bass ever. Play lots of basses in your budget.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    playing Motorhead style
    Correct!

The pocket Metal Muff sounds outrageous on bass  :)
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Sire get great reviews for surprisingly good prices. 

A Marcus Miller P7  I'm sure would be great, and a shitload cheaper than a Rick!!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    @prowla how much do you think that collection is worth? I've seen a few Rics on gumtree for sale. One for £1,500 which seems to be as good as you'll get for now? I haven't come across any 4003s second hand yet, but think there was one for £1700 on GAK. Never knew about that Oil City JB bridge. Interesting.... no sound clips knocking around though....

Blowed if I know!

Two of the Rics there cost me £1000 and the other two £1100, within the past couple of years; it's just a matter of finding one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    edited May 2020
     I haven't come across any 4003s second hand yet....
    Not that surprising - Rickenbacker are well-known for being pricks about selling of fakes. BassChat won't even let you advertise a real Rick there, in case the company claim it's a fake and, from a legal standpoint, fuck the site over
    Gulliver said:
    Not that surprising - Rickenbacker are well-known for being pricks about selling of fakes. BassChat won't even let you advertise a real Rick there, in case the company claim it's a fake and, from a legal standpoint, fuck the site over
    That explains that. I wasn't aware that they didn't even allow folk to sell used ones on certain sites.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    The block on RIC sales would have been the decision of the forum. It removes any possibility of litigation and/or financial penalty.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    Rickenbacker being pricks about selling fakes is the reason they still retain all their design trademarks.

Fender and Gibson weren't such pricks, so they've lost most of theirs...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

The block on RIC sales would have been the decision of the forum. It removes any possibility of litigation and/or financial penalty.

Curiously, though, they endorse selling Limelight Fender-alikes..
    Gulliver said:
    That explains that. I wasn't aware that they didn't even allow folk to sell used ones on certain sites.

BC got hassle from RIC, so the BC admins threw the baby out with the bathwater and banned selling anything RIC-related on the site.

(I bought a Ric there last week, though...)
    ICBM said:
    Rickenbacker being pricks about selling fakes is the reason they still retain all their design trademarks.

Fender and Gibson weren't such pricks, so they've lost most of theirs...

You know in Rugby League where when a player is tackled and he has to start doing a worm to show that he's trying to get up?

If you don't demonstrate that you are defending your IP (Intellectual Property), then you lose it.

RIC's approach is sending out cease & desist letters.