Vox Pathfinder 10 opinions

What's Hot
MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 239
Hi there

I currently use a Stagg 10 watt amp and am looking to upgrade while not increasing the footprint of my amp greatly.

I've heard good things about the Pathfinder 10 - what do people on here think? I've asked previously about amps on here but, now that I have got some decent practice under my belt and picked up a few pedals, I have a better idea of what I'd like.

The thing is, the Stagg sounds quite good on certain settings. I'm not convinced it does well with pedals though, but that could just be my perception. It's many years since I owned a "proper" amp.

The Vox appeals to me as it looks the part, is below £100 and I believe it handles pedals quite well. I'm under no illusions that I'm going to emulating my guitar heroes with it, but I would like my focus to shift from my amp as something I'd like to/ need to upgrade.

Martin
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited May 2020
    Tbh, I don't think you'd find the Pathfinder 10 much of an upgrade, over small and boxy sounding and when turned up they can vibrate. If you could source a Pathfinder 15, that would definitely be a good amp and not a great deal larger in footprint. Plus it has very nice tremolo and a mild but effective reverb built in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 239
    Cheers @JezWynd - the reviews I have seen online for the 10 have been very positive, but you do wonder about the impartiality of said reviewers. And, of course, they aren't doing a comparison with what I already have!

I took the Stagg apart when I got it and it seems quite well built for what it is. 

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Cheers @JezWynd - the reviews I have seen online for the 10 have been very positive, but you do wonder about the impartiality of said reviewers. And, of course, they aren't doing a comparison with what I already have!

I took the Stagg apart when I got it and it seems quite well built for what it is. 

I should qualify my review by saying the one I tried was a used amp, so that might factor in to my opinion. I've also tried the bass version (a new one) and that was quite horrible at anything above a low volume.

Vox small amps usually have good speakers - a good match for the combo anyway. If you can find a Pathfinder 15, I'm sure you would be very happy with it. They are a bit over 100 now, but it's money well spent. There's no shortage of small practice amps these days and some of them get excellent reviews. I tried the Blackstar ID Core a while ago and it was very good and had stereo with a big wide sound.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9549
    edited May 2020
    JezWynd said:
    If you could source a Pathfinder 15, that would definitely be a good amp...
    ^ This. Ridiculously loud for something of such modest wattage and sounds decent too. @Flanging_Fred has one and can probably tell you more.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Definitely not an upgrade. One generic transistor small-speaker practice amp does not make a good replacement for another.

If you want to actually upgrade, spend a little more on a small valve amp like a Blackstar HT1/5, or get a Vox AC4.
    How about stating your criteria (budget, genres, home use only/jams with mates/ small gigs etc) and seeing what people recommend. There’s some very knowledgeable folks here who will doubtless come up with some great suggestions.
    edited May 2020
    Good call. I was about to do that

Budget would be £100 - £150. Space is a big issue so picking up amp x for a good price second hand wont work if it's a big one. The pathfinder seemed a good choice based on size.

I wont be gigging any time soon. I am more likely to record at home, and at the moment I am studying for o e of the rock school exams.

Genre is a tricky one. I definitely want to approximate J Mascis' sound as well as Johnny Cash, half man half  biscuit... (in the living room) and I guess i would do that with effects.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3007
    HAL9000 said:
    JezWynd said:
    If you could source a Pathfinder 15, that would definitely be a good amp...
    ^ This. Ridiculously loud for something of such modest wattage and sounds decent too. @Flanging_Fred has one and can probably tell you more.
    Yup, I have one ( Pathfinder 15r) and it’s a fantastic little SS amp. However I do think it’s at it’s best when using it quite loud (so at jam session or small pub gig level).  It’s not bad at home levels though and the reverb and trem are very useful features.  It’s definitely NOT an amp for metal or hard rock styles but I can see it being ok for blasting out “Fuckin’ ell it’s Fred Titmus”!

Ive found it quite finicky about drive pedals at low volume but weirdly it sounded great with things like a Boss blues driver or SD1 when played louder. Not too sure why though.

I also had a VOX AC4tv and it was probably the most disappointing amp I’ve ever had. Harsh, boxy, grating, poorly made and impossible to get a nice sound at home levels. I tried changing Valves and speakers and it didn’t help. This is my own subjective opinion of course but the Pathfinder was better in every respect IMO.

FWIW, the bass player in my band has the Pathfinder 10 and is pretty happy with it, I can’t say I’ve tried one to compare to the 15r though

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    JezWynd said:

If you can find a Pathfinder 15, I'm sure you would be very happy with it. They are a bit over 100 now, but it's money well spent. 

You can still find them cheap on Facebook and Gumtree if you look about though. I paid a mighty twenty quid for a very tidy 15R from a bloke down the road from me last year! And even now, I can see there's one on Facebook ads for £40. (It is Kilmarnock, mind.)
    Vox AV15?
    Fender Champion 40?
    The Vox AV15 looks appealing.

Problem with Facebook is I'm not on it! But I will keep an eye out for the pathfinder 15 on gumtree etc. 

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3351
    I have a PF 10, It never gets used, I bought it for my daughter when she played (now playing piano). From memory it didn't quite tick any boxes, I struggled to get anything decent sounding out of it. I also got a little Fender practice amp thrown in with a guitar I bought ones, again it just wont make a decent noise.

My main go to at home amp is a Vox Cambridge , it will make nice noises, two channels, two foot switches,  tremolo and spring reverb, its not that much bigger than the PathFinder but its a totally better amp by miles.

Looking for its spec I found this,

''I know there were two iterations of this amp. The first run from serial number "0" to about 600 were under powered and had some components that weren't ideal for the circuit.''
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/vox-cambridge-30.1506576/
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.