First attempt at 'properly' recording a video

danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
edited May 2020 in Making Music
Very difficult to get the positioning of the single mic I have, and I'm not sure that playing next to a window helps, but wanted to share the effort

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    The sound is pretty good...is that natural room reverb or FX ?

Lighting...now then....theres moody and there's...well...bad....Can you not improve that with the video editor software?

Or are you using a Phone?

Upside is you recorded a youtube vid !....Nice job.

Please check mine out...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Damn! I'm so envious of people who can sing! I liked the playing, the singing and the song, but you need to get a better position for videoing. A light source behind is never a good idea. I rarely watch videos these days if either the filming or sound is not good enough quality, so I would probably pass over this on that count normally. Also, I think it's a good idea to get both playing hands (and your face) in the shot.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    spark240 said:

Lighting...now then....theres moody and there's...well...bad....Can you not improve that with the video editor software?

Please check mine out...

Nice one @spark240. UAD Realverb 

I used my phone so it's a bit rubbish at pulling the dark bits in post processing.

Nice video. Clear and easy to follow. How much work is involved in cutting and editing everything together? I presume that you have to sync the video to the audio at some point?
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694

axisus said:
    Damn! I'm so envious of people who can sing! I liked the playing, the singing and the song, but you need to get a better position for videoing. A light source behind is never a good idea. I rarely watch videos these days if either the filming or sound is not good enough quality, so I would probably pass over this on that count normally. Also, I think it's a good idea to get both playing hands (and your face) in the shot.
    Cheers @axisus. I'm not 100% pleased with it, I think there's room for improvement on all fronts. Will take into account the lighting issue and see what I can put together next time.

Thanks for the feedback mate
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    If youtube wisdom is anything to go by you should be in a dark environment with lights behind the camera shining on you, you should also wear a hat and have a lamp in the background!  

On the positive side you can sing and play really well - good stuff.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Congrats on having the balls to sing. And film it.

Have the window facing you. Maybe put your camera/device in window. It'll help the lighting element.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    spark240 said:

Please check mine out...

Nice one @spark240. UAD Realverb 

I used my phone so it's a bit rubbish at pulling the dark bits in post processing.

Nice video. Clear and easy to follow. How much work is involved in cutting and editing everything together? I presume that you have to sync the video to the audio at some point?
    Im using the ubiquitous Logitech C920 webcam, and Adobe element 15 editor, I record all the parts in Studio One DAW then drag all video and audio into Adobe, its a bit fiddly to start with but once your into the method it works great.  I notice Adobe sucks some serious CPU juice though in full swing. I like the fact that Adobe can upload the finished video direct to Youtube.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Very difficult to get the positioning of the single mic I have, and I'm not sure that playing next to a window helps, but wanted to share the effort

Sounds excellent - it is well established and there's been research to show that good audio with mediocre visuals is far superior to quality visual with crap sound.

My advise on improving visuals would be to try and have the window behind the camera/phone - that way the camera/phone isn't trying to expose for the window, but the room.  You can lock the exposure on an iPhone, but that's hard to do if you're on your own and using the rear camera. If you're using the selfie camera it's easier but the video quality takes a hit.

For reference - I'm playing guitar and keys on this, and the window is behind the camera for both. (I put my keyboard on the windowsill and my phone on that to make sure I had decent enough light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Ob-3J01Lw
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    That's a really nice performance @danishbacon, very impressive! If you don't want to be too identifiable in the video, you could maybe light it more conventionally and maybe boost the contrast and do some colour correction so its a bit more visually interesting?