Steely Dan, More than just a band (YouTube)

What's Hot

Comments

• midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2341
    that was interesting, im a big SD fan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    I’m glad someone else enjoyed it
  • clarkydazclarkydaz Frets: 45
    im actually just getting into Steely Dan. Im digesting Cant buy a thrill, Pretzel Logic and Aja, what are considered the best albums, or are they all good? 
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    clarkydaz said:
    im actually just getting into Steely Dan. Im digesting Cant buy a thrill, Pretzel Logic and Aja, what are considered the best albums, or are they all good? 
    Maybe a controversial opinion, but IMO the best 2 are 'The Royal Scam' and 'Gaucho'. They are all good, however (although I haven't listened to the last two after the reunion in about 2000).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randersonranderson Frets: 187
    edited May 2020
    Love Steely Dan. My lockdown project has been teaching myself piano by learning their songs.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    Some people love Aja & Gaucho but for me, every Album should be heard and find what you like, there are endless musical nuggets mining the Dan. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    As an aside, I was lucky enough to see them in a small venue in Bonn in about 2009. They were great :-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 365
    randerson said:
    Love Steely Dan. My lockdown project has been teaching myself piano by learning their songs.
    @randerson - Hi. Are you learning from music notation/sheets or online tutorials? 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Some people love Aja & Gaucho but for me, every Album should be heard and find what you like, there are endless musical nuggets mining the Dan. 
    So true, I knew so many if their tracks from the famous greatest hits compilation that was put out in the late 70s and then buying Aja and Gaucho, but it wasn't until the mid 90s where I actually started buying the back catalogue that I realised how many corkers I'd missed. Most notably Rose Darling from the Katy Lied album which is a superb piece of classic 'Dan.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3614
    @duotone thanks!

• lentolento Frets: 116
    Saw them in Manchester in 1974  :) Awesome, first band I'd seen using a 'proper' PA system which I suspect they brought with them. The sound was just like the records. McDonald on backing vocals too ...
    Royal Scam and Gaucho my favourites.
    Gaucho despite Becker being 'out of it ...'
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 733
    Dr Benway knew the answer.............

"Just as a bull fighter with his skill and knowledge extricates himself from danger he has himself invoked, so in this operation the surgeon deliberately endangers his patient, and then, with incredible speed and celerity, rescues him from death at the last possible split second…. Did any of you ever see Dr. Tetrazzini perform? I say perform advisedly because his operations were performances. He would start by throwing a scalpel across the room into the patient and then make his entrance like a ballet dancer. His speed was incredible: ‘I don’t give them time to die,’ he would say."

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."