Plugin Boutique Scaler 2

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
A great new update to his fantastic plugin!

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I thought I was cheating by looking into Chord Gun and Theory Helper for Reaper! 

I'll keep my eyes peeled incase the price drops more. I've spent more than I should have on various stuff during Lockdown and I really need to stop buying stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    I thought I was cheating by looking into Chord Gun and Theory Helper for Reaper! 

I'll keep my eyes peeled incase the price drops more. I've spent more than I should have on various stuff during Lockdown and I really need to stop buying stuff.
    It's really useful for outlining new song ideas and learning about music. I use it on most compositions, even if it's only as a guide track, or a synth pad to get things moving. It would probably be my "desert island" choice of music software  
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    Yes I've just updated to Scaler 2.

I've used Scaler 1 in the past to come up with ideas. I think I've used it at least once to come up with chord progression ideas for Solo of the Month (SotM) backing tracks. Maybe I'll use Scaler 2 for the next one so I can get familiar with the update.

It's not a competition.
    edited June 2020
    I used Scaler 2 to help create the chord progression for this month's SotM challenge. It's a great tool and I've only scratched the surface of what it's capable of.
    https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/182190/solo-of-the-month-sotm-60-challenge?new=1

It's not a competition.
  • midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 100
    This is a very interesting post - as an "older" guitar player and keyboard player and having "written" some keyboard/orchestral stuff for a project recently from scratch i had been pondering how professional composers were able to create such a volume of material "on tap" as such . An app such as this potentially removes a lot of creators block. On the downside are you just slightly altering someone else's presets ?
    edited June 2020
    This is a very interesting post - as an "older" guitar player and keyboard player and having "written" some keyboard/orchestral stuff for a project recently from scratch i had been pondering how professional composers were able to create such a volume of material "on tap" as such . An app such as this potentially removes a lot of creators block. On the downside are you just slightly altering someone else's presets ?

I find it useful for suggesting groups of chords that work together in a range of styles, that I might not otherwise think of. But it's up to the individual which chords they select and how they use them.

It's not a competition.
  • midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 100
    @stratman3142 ; fair comment - i had a look on the Plugin boutique page and was amazed this was only £40 !! seriously considering a purchase and punt on whether this will work with Cubase 9 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I upgraded last night, still not had chance to use it, but I thought Scaler 1 was great. 
    edited June 2020
    I find it useful for suggesting groups of chords that work together in a range of styles, that I might not otherwise think of. But it's up to the individual which chords they select and how they use them.
    Yep, you can assemble your own chord slections in the 'C' section, and the choice of variations is comprehensive. I mostly play guitar and bass, but I do have some synth and piano parts in my compositions. The strength of Scaler is being able to focus on the harmonic movement, and the interaction with the motifs and melodies. Coming from an art background, i would liken it to the sketching stage of the creative process. Once you have a basic foundation in place, you are free to add your own colour and interpretation, etc.
    edited June 2020
    Lodious said:
    I upgraded last night, still not had chance to use it, but I thought Scaler 1 was great. 
    The new bells and whistles are great, and you can certainly come up with some interesting parts, but ultimately I think they would be a rough outline of what the real keyboard player would play in the studio or on stage (just like the midi drum software). Of course, the bonus is the keyboard player doesn't have to be with you when you are trying out new ideas, so it's a songwriter's dream  
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    This looks interesting. Thanks!

edited June 2020
    duotone said:
    This looks interesting. Thanks!
    Take note of the chord binding option, it can be moved up or down, so that you can play bass or melody if you only have a small keyboard. I mostly use a 25-key model, even though I have 88 available. That way you can noodle anywhere.  
  • Scaler 2 has recently been updated.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2020
    Scaler 2 has recently been updated.
    Where is it all going to end 
    edited September 2020
    As an exercise, once I have worked out the various sections, I've been copying the arrangement into a notebook and then charting all the chords and scales, before starting from scratch with real instruments. It's such a useful piece of software that genuinely borders on being genius. I can knock up a decent chord progression and melody in minutes without much effort on my part, and like you say it can be stuff that you would probably never even think of!

It's almost as if Scaler 2 is George Martin, and I am the Beatles (probably Ringo though)  
  • Freebird said:
    As an exercise, once I have worked out the various sections, I've been copying the arrangement into a notebook and then charting all the chords and scales, before starting from scratch with real instruments. It's such a useful piece of software that genuinely borders on being genius. I can knock up a decent chord progression and melody in minutes without much effort on my part, and like you say it can be stuff that you would probably never even think of!

It's almost as if Scaler 2 is George Martin, and I am the Beatles (probably Ringo though)  

It's great software. I used it to help come up with the backing to Solo of the Month (SotM) 60 in the playlist below. I doubt I would have thought of the chord sequence without it. I think I also used the earlier version of Scaler for a previous SotM challenges. I'll be using it again for future SotM challenges.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm60-2020-06  

It's not a competition.