Beato book anyone?

What's Hot
Anyone bought the Rick Beato book? Was it worth it- what did you get from it? Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Yes I bought it and it’s very we’ll laid out and informative, my biggest issue is lack of time to really get the most out of it
  • Cheers sweepy, haha yes I know that one!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    I’m interested in this as well, having seen version 4 has just been released. I’ve a basic music knowledge (how diatonic chords are created from scales, etc), which I apply when playing rock/blues.  

What level of knowledge and music style Is this book aimed at?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    I've had it since version 2.3 and always updated. I updated to V4.0 yesterday. It spans very basic to advanced stuff.

It's not something I'd read cover to cover  I find it a very useful reference and tend to dip into it for areas of interest.

For example, I'm currently interested in chord progressions that depart form the standard diatonic and am looking at the Chords for Songwriters tables (page 24 & 25).

It's not a competition.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3124
    mrkb said:
    I’m interested in this as well, having seen version 4 has just been released. I’ve a basic music knowledge (how diatonic chords are created from scales, etc), which I apply when playing rock/blues.  

What level of knowledge and music style Is this book aimed at?
    Table of contents for v4 is here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2145/8901/files/The_Beato_Book_4.0_-_Table_of_Contents.pdf?v=1591459842

Chapter one is comprehensive...after that, things get a lot drier / less talkative and you are presented with pages of study material: chord boxes, scales and arps, linear studies (short passages over changes). It's a reference...it's up to you to make something of it...it won't hold your hand along the way.

I'm great at buying books but crap at actually working through them. However, I'm sure I can open it at page 367 right now and find an idea to explore ;) As a PDF, it's very convenient.

Here's a recent tFB thread: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/170338/recommended-theory-books
    Amongst the recommendations, there's:
    • Eric Taylor's 'The AB guide to music theory' (parts i & ii) - solid, non-guitar based, cold, hard, theory...these should be on your bookshelf next to the dictionary and thesaurus
    • Mick Goodrick's 'The Advancing Guitarist' - one of the standard books...no tab...I didn't enjoy it much
    • I'd add Jon Damian's 'The Guitarist's Guide...' - I remember enjoying this one because it feels more modern and is written with a bit of humour...no tab
    The last two are more applied and jazz-oriented...but that's where theory takes you if you turn it to 11. It doesn't mean you have to ruin all your rock/blues jams with whole-tone scales and maj7#5 arps ;) I like that, every now and then, I can use some of this material to get me out of a rut and start thinking broadly again.

To be honest, I bought The Beato Book a few years back as I was enjoying the YouTube channel and wanted to give something back.

Apologies: strong coffee this morning!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    edited June 2020
    Theory is hard. I'm not into the total science of it, but I need to know some of the how or why now and then if I'm tying to write or arrange.

I play occasionally in a covers band and don't write as much these days. So I wing it or Google it.

I don't do jazz, most of what I've written is solely fifth chords  but occasionally I like to strum five or six strings and just let it ring using major or minor chords. Hell, I even use seventh chords now and then!

If I get stuck, or think I need more on an occasion, I fill in gaps using Google or Youtube. Sometimes I even remember what I was shown.

am a subscriber to Rick Beato's channel, but I choose to watch or not watch depending on the title and whether I think the content is relevant or interesting on the day. I'm like that with a few channels I subscribe to.
  • pickergpickerg Frets: 30
    edited June 2020
    edit: duplicate post
  • pickergpickerg Frets: 30

Here's a recent tFB thread: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/170338/recommended-theory-books
    Amongst the recommendations, there's:
    • Eric Taylor's 'The AB guide to music theory' (parts i & ii) - solid, non-guitar based, cold, hard, theory...these should be on your bookshelf next to the dictionary and thesaurus
    • Mick Goodrick's 'The Advancing Guitarist' - one of the standard books...no tab...I didn't enjoy it much
    • I'd add Jon Damian's 'The Guitarist's Guide...' - I remember enjoying this one because it feels more modern and is written with a bit of humour...no tab
    The last two are more applied and jazz-oriented...but that's where theory takes you if you turn it to 11. It doesn't mean you have to ruin all your rock/blues jams with whole-tone scales and maj7#5 arps ;) I like that, every now and then, I can use some of this material to get me out of a rut and start thinking broadly again.
    That's interesting, I've got the Taylor and Goodrick books and have been thinking of getting Damian's other book, The Chord Factory.
  • nectarnectar Frets: 8
    I bought this, and it’s a nice reference / covers a lot of ground but probably best to use as one of several different ways of learning theory. If you haven’t come across the concepts in there it’s probably not going to give you enough of an introduction on its own.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Love his vids....I’m not a big reader so not sure I can handle a book !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    spark240 said:
    Love his vids....I’m not a big reader so not sure I can handle a book !

I like his YT stuff too.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    I do like Beato and want to understand him better.  Could any of you who have to book tell us, is it mainly charts and diagrams and whatnot, or does it also include some explication along with it?  I really need to read words that describe and explain, not just letters and diagrams, if I'm going to get anything lasting out of it.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited September 2020
    Cranky said:
    I do like Beato and want to understand him better.  Could any of you who have to book tell us, is it mainly charts and diagrams and whatnot, or does it also include some explication along with it?  I really need to read words that describe and explain, not just letters and diagrams, if I'm going to get anything lasting out of it.
    The explanatory text is very concise but clear. It's mainly a mixture of music notation, tab, diagrams and tables.

Although short, the explantions are sufficient for me. I like the way the information is presented. I use it mainly as a reference book.
    It's not a competition.
  • He broadcast a chord substitution video on Friday with 40% discount on the book. Previously his discount had been on a special with his Instagram tabs and the book, but this is the first time I've seen book only. With the code RB122 it brings it to $30 (£25?). Discount for this week only, but he announces various codes on occasion.

I've just bought it. Haven't looked yet as I'm helping Mrs Pintspiller with her tax return.
  • KasalicKasalic Frets: 12
    Cranky said:
    The first chapter is more explanation, and gave me far more knowledge than I ever thought I would have, After that is is mostly notation, tabs and diagrams for reference, and like most others, I use it as a reference.
  • Currently has 60% off the Beato book bundle with RB300 code.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Independence Day sale on at the min 50% off
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    edited July 2021
    Has anyone got the eat training and guitar courses? 
    Ive already got the fully unlocked Earmaster app on my phone and I'm wondering if there's much different in the beato one.

Edit: Googled a review of the ear training and I can only really find people saying it's full of errors so that's a no.
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 443
    Yeah I have the ear training course. It's expensive, but it's the most comprehensive tool of its kind out there. Is it worth the money? Yes actually, as it's brought my ear on a tonne in the year or so I've had it, and yes I do work with it a lot. 
    Are there errors in it? Errrmmm no. I got it the first day it was released and I don't think there are errors.  I did think there were a couple in the first 2-3 weeks after I bought it but either there were a few small ones and they got fixed or my ear improved and I was more accurate with my identification. Either way no errors now, and hundreds of exercises to work with, most extremely useful identification tools. You will need to put in 20 mins a day for at least a year to really nail the benefits of this so ask yourself if you can fit that in.
  • wizbit81 said:
    Yeah I have the ear training course. It's expensive, but it's the most comprehensive tool of its kind out there. Is it worth the money? Yes actually, as it's brought my ear on a tonne in the year or so I've had it, and yes I do work with it a lot. 
    Are there errors in it? Errrmmm no. I got it the first day it was released and I don't think there are errors.  I did think there were a couple in the first 2-3 weeks after I bought it but either there were a few small ones and they got fixed or my ear improved and I was more accurate with my identification. Either way no errors now, and hundreds of exercises to work with, most extremely useful identification tools. You will need to put in 20 mins a day for at least a year to really nail the benefits of this so ask yourself if you can fit that in.
    That’s a super cool endorsement I’m going to give it a go.

Just  bought it, it’s currently $99 with the discount code july4. I’ll check back in a year and tell you how I’ve got on.