Connecting up an Arturia Minibrute 2 to Helix Stomp and 1010 Blackbox

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited June 2020
    brucegill said:
    Bend your noodle. Hahaha. Many thanks. 

Thinking the digitakt with the subharmonicon might be more fun to play together (not looked into this so only talking ourloud). I’m finding the black box a bit like being on a really shit, old computer. 

Either digitakt or get a Dfam and have fun that way. One thing that I’m loving about the subharmonicon is playing it rather than just setting up a sequence and press play. That said, I’m liking long slow drones out of the subharmonicon and layering Abstract guitar over them. The Lyra 8 was on my list as well but not right now. 
    I have both the Digitakt and the DFAM.
    Get the Digitakt.
    The DFAM is great in its own way but it is much more limited in what it can achieve by itself.
    I have mine integrated into a largish modular and it gets a lot of use because I have a lot of other modulation sources for it.

Careful with Eurorack though.
    I started with a couple of AJH modules and it quickly morphed into this:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 711
    octatonic said:
    brucegill said:
    Bend your noodle. Hahaha. Many thanks. 

Thinking the digitakt with the subharmonicon might be more fun to play together (not looked into this so only talking ourloud). I’m finding the black box a bit like being on a really shit, old computer. 

Either digitakt or get a Dfam and have fun that way. One thing that I’m loving about the subharmonicon is playing it rather than just setting up a sequence and press play. That said, I’m liking long slow drones out of the subharmonicon and layering Abstract guitar over them. The Lyra 8 was on my list as well but not right now. 
    I have both the Digitakt and the DFAM.
    Get the Digitakt.
    The DFAM is great in its own way bit it is much more limited in what it can achieve by itself.
    I have mine integrated into a largish modular and it gets a lot of use because I have a lot of other modulation sources for it.

Careful with Eurorack though.
    I started with a couple of AJH modules and it quickly morphed into this:

Wow! It grows quickly! Nice set up :)

thanks, appreciate the help. Sounds like you know where I’m coming from even with my utter lack of knowledge :)

edited June 2020
    had another go today with a clear head. Still not for me. I want nobs and buttons for everything please. Blackbox going back, Digitakt ordered. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    There are still menus in the DT.
    But it is an easier device to use.
    octatonic said:
    did a load of YT videos last few days. Seems more logical, to me. Bigger too, and those clicks keys. And I actually like the look of it :)
    brucegill said:
    octatonic said:
    did a load of YT videos last few days. Seems more logical, to me. Bigger too, and those clicks keys. And I actually like the look of it :)
    I love the Elektron workflow. 
    I’ve got nearly everything they currently make and about to look for some of the old stuff.
    octatonic said:
    brucegill said:
    octatonic said:
    I love the Elektron workflow. 
    I’ve got nearly everything they currently make and about to look for some of the old stuff.
    I can see the appeal! 

Any videos you’d recommend as a good starting place for a beginner?
    edited June 2020
    Thanks @octatonic ;; much appreciated!

The more I look into it, looks like a mixer is going to be on the cards too.... can’t quite get my head around that yet though. Want to add effects to Moog for sure, looks like the reverb and delay on digitakt are covered there, but could be nice to add effects to it sometimes. 
    brucegill said:

The more I look into it, looks like a mixer is going to be on the cards too.... can’t quite get my head around that yet though. Want to add effects to Moog for sure, looks like the reverb and delay on digitakt are covered there, but could be nice to add effects to it sometimes. 
    Honestly you will outgrow a small mixer quite soon, unless you spend a lot of money on a mixer with many channels.

A good audio interface with hardware monitoring and a patchbay is my preferred solution here.
    it is what I use now and I've had large format consoles before (40 channels).

brucegill said:

Only 8 mins into that and it’s already making so much more sense!
    Cuckoo is great.
    octatonic said:
    brucegill said:

Honestly you will outgrow a small mixer quite soon, unless you spend a lot of money on a mixer with many channels.

A good audio interface with hardware monitoring and a patchbay is my preferred solution here.
    Oh man! Mind blown. I didn’t even know that sort of thing existed! No more pedal board and pissing about with cables for me :) job done. THANK YOU
    brucegill said:
    octatonic said:
    brucegill said:

Oh man! Mind blown. I didn’t even know that sort of thing existed! No more pedal board and pissing about with cables for me :) job done. THANK YOU
    Patchbays are great- get a good one, not a £50 Behringer.
    Outputs on top, inputs on the bottom.
    Look at normalling schemes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    I've got a digitakt. It's really pretty simple. Really. It grows with you, as in, I don't know what I'm missing til I want to do it (conditional trigs for example) then I learn to do it then it is learned...

I'm sure you will love it. And as per Octatonic, I got the smallest cheapest mixer and am already looking for a 10-12 track with enough stereo ins and opportunity to use my guitar pedals as fx on synth, DT, M:C and...guitar. My cheap mixer was £80. An extra £150 would have got me a new 10-12 track...not peanuts I know, but
    This is my patchbay set up.

It is 4x96 way, so 384 patch points.
    There is no way you can get a mixer with that many channels of IO.
    I just patch things with bantam cables as I need to.

jackio said:
    I've got a digitakt. It's really pretty simple. Really. It grows with you, as in, I don't know what I'm missing til I want to do it (conditional trigs for example) then I learn to do it then it is learned...

I'm sure you will love it. And as per Octatonic, I got the smallest cheapest mixer and am already looking for a 10-12 track with enough stereo ins and opportunity to use my guitar pedals as fx on synth, DT, M:C and...guitar. My cheap mixer was £80. An extra £150 would have got me a new 10-12 track...not peanuts I know, but
    I was just about to post an update.... 

Turned up today. Have lost hours playing :) a joy to use by comparison (for me) to the small amount of time I spent with the Blackbox. Blackbox was boxed up for return within a day. Digitakt box already in the loft and has its new home on the shelf :)

new OS was handy for me. Can record all the tracks, plus have my synth going into the inputs and that gets recorded to separate track too, all via Overbridge and USB. (Not tried the synth with a stereo pedal yet, so not sure if it’s recording in stereo or duel mono.)

few “how the f@@@“ moments, but over all, a quick and easy, musical, fun and creative experience. 

Need a few more cables, a deck saver for this and my Moog (let me know if you know of anywhere that’s got these cheep - looking like I’ll have to drop another £85 on bloody plastic lids). Once I’ve got my head around it and checked if my synth is recording in stereo or not I’ll work out how the hell I’ll fit patchbay in the studio / office. Looks like I’ll want a new interface too so I can record two stereo inputs - my Focusrite 2i2 has done me well, but looking a little lacking now. 
    The DT is really capable when you start using the sequencer to trigger external synths.
    I use it for that more than anything.
    octatonic said:
    The DT is really capable when you start using the sequencer to trigger external synths.
    I use it for that more than anything.
    Just got it doing that this evening, had to save and turn it all of as my head was starting to explode. The Cogs are turning this evening thinking about how I can make that work for me. Got to get my head around the length of each trigger - want to get it to trigger a long drone at the first step. Agggg. Need sleep lol. 

Thanks again for all your help @octatonic much appreciated. 
    octatonic said:
    This is my patchbay set up.

It is 4x96 way, so 384 patch points.
    There is no way you can get a mixer with that many channels of IO.
    I just patch things with bantam cables as I need to.

Man alive :astonished: