Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 944
    incase he's not been recomended on here before then Danny from http://www.leicestershire-luthier.co.uk/ 

He's done a fantastic job of bringing my tele back to life and my son's jackson now stays in tune for the fist time ever!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 119
    edited February 2020
    I don't think anyone recommended my luthier, who can build a stringed instrument from scratch, including electrics.

His name is Dave Farmiloe and he is based in Woodford, Northans, just off the Thrapston junction on the A14. He is different to the other guitar technician in that neck of the Wood that I read about here, and an exceedingly nice chap who knows his stuff. His website says quite a few things about him:
    http://davefarmiloe.com/

He has been looking after my guitars for a good 3 years I think, and I cannot fault him, from electrics to acoustics. I also take my guitars to him for MOTs once a year
  • NCoNCo Frets: 127
    Hi everyone,

I own a 2018 Gibson LP studio which has neck binding and I am looking for a luthier who can add body binding, preferable not faux but I won't rule it out, and apply a finish on top.

I am aware of the potential costs, I love this guitar to death hence selling and getting another with binding is not an option.

Based in London, but happy to chat to people from Kent or anyone who would agree to do this with shipping.

Thanks in advance.
  • Kent747Kent747 Frets: 242
    Just had my Telecaster rewired by Smart Guitars in Oxford and I cannot recommend Dave enough. Great work and fast turn around! Will be taking more of my gear his way. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3614
    SRich said:
    JohnPerry said:
    Oxford: Dave Smart (smartguitars.co.uk) has, without exaggeration, transformed two dozen guitars for me and repaired a couple of tube amps. Highly knowledgeable and hugely experienced. Can't recommend highly enough.
    +1 on Dave Smart. He's real easy to deal with and very meticulous. He's just done some simple wiring issues on a Tele and a LP and doesn't 'go looking' for extra work but has a real eye for detail. 
    Another +1. Took my guitar in because I thought I needed a new nut. He took a look at it and said he could just file the slots so as @SRich ; says he doesn't go looking for extra work.

He also did some other adjustments and turned the job round in less than 2 hours. Lovely guy to deal with and the bonus that he's within walking distance.
  • dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 147
    Can anyone recommend valve amp service in Hertfordshire?
  • skayskay Frets: 391
    After Leon of Grizzy Guitars moved away from Hackney, I've been without a good trustworthy guitar tech close to me in South London, as I don't fancy a trip into central London each time. 

Well, John from String King Guitars in Woolwich is my man!

He's refretted my Tele, new nut and electronics in my Les Paul, finally made my Les Paul Junior play in tune with a wraparound bridge, and brought my knackered very first electric guitar back to life.

Top notch work, completed very quickly, and very reasonable too.

Can highly recommend John, as he's a good listener and will work with you to find the best solution to whatever issues your guitars have, plus theres plenty of free parking outside, what's not to like!

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Can anyone recommend valve amp service in Hertfordshire?
    Hi Danny, it's been a good few years since I've been down their way, but I'd recommend contacting Coda Music in Stevenage. If they can't do it themselves, they should be able to point you in the direction of someone decent.
  • Anyone in Hampshire/Southampton/Chandlers Ford, a shout out to Derek Johnston, recently did a refret and steup on my 82 Les Paul, as well as a rewire and new nut. Had a partial level on my 335. Great work. 

https://www.johnstonguitartech.co.uk/

https://www.instagram.com/johnstonguitartech/

Mine is the red Les Paul on his Instagram. (3rd Pic)
  • kramereekrameree Frets: 100
    @FelineGuitars I had completely lost the love for one of my guitars and took it to the chaps at Feline. A new bridge, bit of fret work and I now have a guitar that performs and sounds better than ever.
    Ive used a good number of luthers in the past, some good others definitely not. Feline are exactly what i want, excellent customer service, honesty and quality work..
    Doesnt get any better in my book... A++++ all the way.. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Quick hat-tip to @gary_mac in Herts. He's had a few of my guitars in for fret-levelling/fret dress/re-crown and subsequent general setup, and has always done a great job, in good time, at a fair price (at least as far as I can tell!).
  • gary_macgary_mac Frets: 66
    Thanks @Snags , appreciated.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    Any techs in the East London area? 
    The 2 guys I knew have moved away.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    tFB Trader
    @JD50 ;We are in Croydon - not too tricky from East London, especially with the Overground line coming to West Croydon perhaps, or connection to East Croydon from London Bridge station. 
    Have seen a few East London based players of late - maybe due to those 2 moving away.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    @JD50 ;We are in Croydon - not too ktricky from East London, especially with the Overground line coming to West Croydon perhaps, or connection to East Croydon from London Bridge station. 
    Have seen a few East London based players of late - maybe due to those 2 moving away.
    I would love to bring my guitars to you but sat nav says you're 1hr 28 mins drive away....
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 135
    Can anyone recommend a good tech in Manchester for  a set up ... a friend’s daughter has a new Jazzmaster that needs a look at ... thanks folks . 
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    @SteveRobinson is rather good.
    When logic and proportion
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 135
    @SteveRobinson is rather good.
    Thanks ... yes I’m not sure if he’s taking on work at the mo ... had a look at his site and was going to recommend him .
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the mention, sorry but yes I'm closed to visitors due to the lockdown and not taking on any work at the moment.