SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

1964 Fender Pro Vintage Blackface £1500

What's Hot
bobbatonebobbatone Frets: 68
edited December 2020 in Amps £

Hi All,

I am regrettably selling my 1964 Fender Pro, which is probably one of the best amplifiers I’ve ever played and certainly the best I’ve ever owned. But I need to raise some funds so have decided to let it go. I’m sure it will make a great amp for anyone who’s searching for some true blackface magic.

It’s a non reverb circuit with a 15” speaker so it is reasonably rare. It use’s 6L6s and has about 35watts. It has that extra headroom over a Deluxe, but is not that much bigger so I feel it’s a great club amp and has classic tones by the bucket load. I have used it on gigs over the last few years and it's been very reliable. It also sounds superb at low volumes when playing at home.

The 15” speaker really helps to fatten up my single coils but it is equally good with humbcukers and the like. There’s plenty of bottom end when needed, but it’s still focused and tight and does not flub out. The mids are really detailed and the highs nice and smooth. All in all a great sounding amp in my opinion.

It’s also in excellent shape and was recently serviced by Luke at Green River Music. Inside the circuit it is all original as far as I'm aware and it has some desirable parts I’m told (blue caps). The speaker is a replacement Eminence Legend which works perfectly for the amp and is nicely worn in. The valves are mostly replacements (TADs) but there’s a lovely vintage Mullard in the pre-amp stage. In terms of transformer originality or anything else specific I would have to look into it if you require this info. It’s worth noting that the tremolo is probably not working (there's no footswitch so I can’t test). I’ve never actually used it as I use a pedal for tremolo.

It will come with a black Rocksolid amp cover. Collection from East London (E3) is much preffered and is obviously the safest option. UPDATE: However I would consider posting the amp with insurnace (within the UK), but would need around 1-2 weeks to do so. Mianly because I would need to order some packing materials and a large box, so by the time that arrives and I've packed the amp proeprly, it could be a week or so before I can have it collected. I usually use UPS so once it's with them it often takes 1-2 days to arrive. Cost would be around £80 I think, but please get in touch so I can get a proper quote if you're interested.

I’m looking for £1500 which i reduced from £2200, which I think is a great price when compared to other similar amps from this era, and especially when you consider what a reissue from Fender or a Boutique amp would cost. This is the real deal!

I have more pictures available. Let me know if you’re interested,

Rob

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tele69tele69 Frets: 198
    Ooh. I’d have loved that one back. It was a brilliant amp for me. Good luck!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1170
    maybe some photos of the inside of the chassis?
  • bobbatonebobbatone Frets: 68
    tele69 said:
    Ooh. I’d have loved that one back. It was a brilliant amp for me. Good luck!
    Hey! Thanks! Yes it is stunning amplifier to say the least. As I say it's a regretable sale otherwise I'd hang on to it.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2419
    brooom said:
    Pretty well essential when selling an amp of this age and not difficult to do.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

brooom said:
    I've not took a chasis apart before so I'll need to look into how to remove it and see if I can do that. I'm a litte wary of tampering too much as I know they can be dangerous. As mentioned it was recently serviced and I was told that inside was all original and in really great shape.

Here are some pics of the transformers. I can send you the serials if needed. It's possible the one on the left is not original. I've just messaged the amp tech to double check

• kerryboykerryboy Frets: 169
    You don't have to do it mate just to satisfy the cork sniffers.
    That amp probably hasn't had a screw turned since it left the factory all those years ago, so why do that now.
    If you strip a bolt or break a bit of solder, then you are fxxked. And all just to satisfy the whim of someone who has absolutely no intention of buying it.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 314
    kerryboy said:
    That amp probably hasn't had a screw turned since it left the factory all those years ago, so why do that now.
    If you strip a bolt or break a bit of solder, then you are fxxked. 
    Apart from during the service and speaker replacement ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Ah it's OK, I have managed to do it without much fuss. I understand that some people want to know exactly what's in the amp. 

Here are some pics inside the chassis and the transformers. Don't think I can offer any more info than that

edited June 2020
    Very worthwhile photos. Looks good to me
    @kerryboy seriously? I was given a 1963 Fender amp that had been 'professionally serviced'. In fact it had been totally butchered by someone who shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near it. It is currently being restored by a top amp tech to be far more like the original, i.e. like @bobbatone's amp. That's why buyers (and other interested forum members) like to see photos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Glad the pictures are helpful. I totally understand and have no issues trying to give out as much info as I can. 

If anyone needs anything else just let me know.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1170
    Thanks @bobbatone, cool amp!
  • kerryboykerryboy Frets: 169
    edited June 2020
    Jimbro66 said:
    @kerryboy seriously? I was given a 1963 Fender amp that had been 'professionally serviced'. In fact it had been totally butchered by someone who shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near it. It is currently being restored by a top amp tech to be far more like the original, i.e. like @bobbatone's amp. That's why buyers (and other interested forum members) like to see photos.
    Yes I admit, you have a point and I probably didn't read the op's comments fully.

But as an example, a few years back I was selling a 1977 telecaster. This guy asked me to remove the pickguard so he could have a look at the back of the pickups. He also wanted me to remove the neck so he could have a look at the neck pocket.

One of the screws in the pickguard was a bastard to get out. As a result, I cracked the edge of the pickguard. It pissed me off well and truly.

This tele hadn't been tampered with since it left the factory and in an attempt to please this wanker I buggered it up.

Never heard another thing from him.

If anyone wants to start taking out the chassis of any of my vintage amps or strip my guitars, then they can do it when they come to collect it and only when they have passed the money over to me. 

If they damage anything in the process, then they own it. If they find something wrong or changed that I didn't disclose, I will give them their money back and they are free to walk away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bump - This classic Blackface is still available - Price reduced to £2100
    Just a quick note to say I am now open to posting the amp if that makes it more available to those further away (within mainland UK via UPS). However I would need to order in some packing materials so it could take between 1-2 weeks to get everything sorted. I think it would cost around £80 insured, but please get in touch for a proper quote if you're interested. Cheers 
  • Bump and price reduction 

Still here and price dropped to £2000. I’d also consider trades/Pt X

Get in touch if you need any info. 

Cheers

Rob
  • Weekend bump! 
  • Still available!
  • This classic amp is still up for grabs, and I am open to sensible offers.

Rob
  • Price is now reduced to £1750! 

Ideally I’m looking for cash on collection.

Cheers, 

Rob