Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your most disappointing pedal experience versus your most pleasing pedal experience

What's Hot
WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
Most disappointing - Vox Delaylab. I really thought this would be the one. But it just sounded cack, and the wet dry mix was the least musical sounding thing I've ever heard. And I've heard a lot of Merzbow.

Most pleasing - I have to say, I could rant and rave about many a pedal here. But the first time I heard the MXR M300 Reverb .... jaw meet floor moment. So many lush tones from three bloody knobs!

Yours?

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    edited July 2020
    Most Disappointing - Revival Drive (Woofy, over gainy), D&M Drive (Just Awful), RYRA (Weirdly muddy vs. other klones), Red Panda Context

Most Pleasing - Hudson Sidecar, Mr Black Supermoon and Analogman Chorus
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    Most Disappointing - Bogner Burnley. something really unpleasant about the breakup and the low end.

Most Pleasing - Skreddy Echo

The Skreddy just sits perfectly balanced in the mix. Whether set super wet, or just a simple one or two clean repeats.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    edited June 2020
    Well, maybe not *the* most disappointing/pleasing pedal experiences, but amongst the top five (probably).

Disappointing- Crowther Hotcake (2003 version). Sounded harsh and brittle through my Twin Reverb and had a nasty, crackly note decay. After having read about how good it sounded, it was a major disappointment. I hated it.

Pleasing- the same pedal through my mate's AC30. It sounded glorious! It was hard to believe it was the same pedal. Sounded just as good through my (then) newly acquired Orange AD30.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DTSBDTSB Frets: 5
    most disappointing - gr-700
    most pleasing - hmm harder question --  if I went in the same vein , the gr 300
    the sre 555 was cool...the wife yelled up "that sounds cool" so I go with that
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Every Lovepedal except the Les Lius. 

Every JHS pedal I have tried. 

Most surprisingly pleasing was the Caline Pure Sky
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Most disappointing would be the mxr fullbore metal. Literally no usable tones for me, so brittle and fizzy even when dialed right back.

Best pedal is the fender reflecting pool, ambience in a box right there. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I played a Hudson broadcast in the middle of the hype and was very underwhelmed

Finding out an American sound is as good as its cracked up to be was pretty cool. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Most disappointing: King of Tone 
    A bit fizzy, bland and like a bad OCD.

Most pleasing: Blackstone mosfet
    After years of trying tubelike pedals it really was amazingly smooth and amplike, it can cover both my ODR-1 & TD-X board slots and currently I run fuzz or a treble booster into it when I want extra fatness. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Disappointing:
    Echolution 2 some very good sounds but glitchy and confusing to use.

Supa Puss bypass and engaged tone were very different, echos clipped, didn't sound as good as the aqua puss.

Bluguitar amp 1 band mates said "that sounds really bad"

Mooer GE200 amp sounds were undynamic and didn't clean up

Pleasing
    Liquid Sunshine V2 - Adds a pleasing bit of texture and sparkle. Stacks with everything

Super Badass - Incredibly versatile and works with anything you throw at it. Best rock sound from a clean amp pedal.

Phase 95 - All the phase sounds you could ever want in a teeny box.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeuroneNeurone Frets: 31
    Most disappointing: danelectro spring king. It had everything on paper, a real spring, the dano good looks AND you can kick the pedal as much as you want. But not a single useable tone (it sounds more like a delay chip that it does sound like a spring).

Most pleasing: Boss CE-1. 
    Trading feedback here
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    Most fun = RevivalDrive and Cali76 stacked

meh = the Vox series with a valve in it? Can’t remember the exact name of it ... Brit Boost?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited June 2020
    Most disappointing: King of Tone 

I criticised the KOT on another forum and was subsequently called out by Analogmike, who indirectly threatened to smash my kneecaps with a monkey wrench
    10reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 619

Most pleasing - I have to say, I could rant and rave about many a pedal here. But the first time I heard the MXR M300 Reverb .... jaw meet floor moment. So many lush tones from three bloody knobs!
    Ditto on the MXR. Demo'd and bought at the guitar show, over all that noise i could still hear it was excellent.

Worst = Hotone reverb. Sounded like someone had tried to set a delay pedal to make it a bit reverby. Contained no actual reverb. Moved on within 2 weeks.

• FezFez Frets: 499
    Most disappointing Trex replay delay great sound but impractical in use.

Best Thorpy Gunshot.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Most disappointing was the OCD

Most surprisingly good was the Blackstar HT Duel  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    Good question.

Always aware of recency bias for these things. 

Disappointments - Catalinbread Sabra Cadabra. Did one thing, and the noise floor was outrageous. Mooer Shimverb - whoever made the shimmer a 5th and not an octave needs shot. 

Pleasing - Boss SD-2 and Hungry Robot Moby Dick. Pretty much both were "this is the sound I need in my life" moments.

Special 'kind of disappointing" mention for the Boss SD-1 which is a pedal that I want to like so, so much but just don't. See also: Tubescreamers.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited June 2020
    Most disappointing: Boss rv500. Jack of all trades, master of none...

Most surprisingly good: behringer sf300.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Most Disappointing

OCD
    Purple plexi
    Love pedal Hi Volt 
    Any Tubescreamer including Hudson sidecar

Most pleasing

Peacekeeper
    Lazyj cruiser
    Palmer Solid Metal 
    Vic Audio 73 Rams head

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited June 2020
    I don't know a pedal until I try it in a live band situation.

Most disappointing: An OCD. It sounded great when I tried it in isolation but too thin and scooped in my two guitar band at the time. But the OCD emulation in my Helix LT sounded great in my most recent band, where I'm the only guitarist. So either the OCD emulation in a Helix sounds better than the real thing (more mid) or it's down to the context.

Most pleasing: A Maxon OD9 (basically a tubescreamer). Nothing special in isolation but worked well in a band context.

It's not a competition.
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited June 2020
    Most disappointing 

OCD - couldn’t find a single usable sound in it (for me - I’m sure it’s brilliant for lots of people). 

Catalinbread DLS and RAH - mainly disappointing because I had had such great experiences previously with the same manufacturer. 

Most pleasing

First time I bought a Klon Centaur - no pedal could sound that good (this was a LONG time ago!)

Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe - unique. 

MXR Phase 95 - bargain of the century - every phase sound I ever wanted (or so I thought... then I got a Phase 99) 

Can i I also make the point that the Hudson Broadcast (single, 24v version) might very well be the best pedal I’ve ever bought!